Master Class - Pokemon style game?

If you wanted to mix up the turn based battles, Final Fantsy X had a System that used the speed stat of various attacks to determin the order of who attacks when.
My current design includes two speed stats. One for the creature, and the other for the attack. The combination of both compared to the opponents will determine who strikes first. So we're got that

The beauty of this is that it yields a whole lot of interesting scenarios with starting positions, arena size, monsters built for different situations and whatnot, but actually is implementable with three numbers (arena size and monster positions).
I had a quick natter to PokeParadox on Skype yesterday whilst I was at work, I had suggested a type of chess-board scenario. Where the first two of your party gets placed on this grid (probably 4x4 or 5x5, maybe with a few "blocked" tiles), and the battle consists of moving as well as attacking. Possibly have attacks that have distance and maybe also Area Of Effect.

PokeParadox also asked about realtime battle. My main concern on this is being able to provide a fast, reliably sync'd network code. I also don't really think realtime will add much.

But if I am right, it is more like the modern Pokémon games (like black and white): 3D landscape and the characters and pokémon are still 2D tiles.
Yes, I really want that cylindrical world look. I'm not sure if to try and 2D sprite things in the world, but I'm thinking that might look odd. I think 3D meshing all the creatures will be too much work, and take far too long, so they're almost definately going to have to be 2D

So might need a volunteer for a few meshes :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing to think about that hasn't been mention is the color scheme. Is it going to be bright lively colors like Pokemon or a darker theme like Final Fantasy ~8? I personally would prefer the brighter colors because that is what I remember playing Pokemon on GBC. It depends on if this is going to be similar to Pokemon or is a new game with it's own path.

Probably quite bright colours. I don't really do sepia. I want this game to look - and play - fun. Poke and I are just battling with Code::Blocks at the minute to compile everything on both sides. I'm not afraid to say I much prefer Visual Studio. Things like build logs as tabbed documents instead of "toolbars" is a great feature; but we'll get there.

Back