Pandora 'pokemon' Style Game For Pandora?

Is it a worth while project Idea?

• Total voters

I voted "yes" because I have always been a fan of monster training rpgs.

I like the ideas of breeding for a better monster

I also like the idea of a massive world with huge distances between towns. I think that there should not be too much level grinding, but it's always fun to have a bit in a game.

I've come to the conclusion today that this is a project that I sadly can't start/continue you with, not only do I not have the skills and knowledge to pull off anything of this scale I just don't think I have the time to learn.

If someone else thinks they can, then good luck to you. My thinking is you need a focused mind to work on games even with a great deal of support and that's something I just don't have. Sorry if this thread has been a bit of a time waster.

Sly said:
I've come to the conclusion today that this is a project that I sadly can't start/continue you with, not only do I not have the skills and knowledge to pull off anything of this scale I just don't think I have the time to learn.

If someone else thinks they can, then good luck to you. My thinking is you need a focused mind to work on games even with a great deal of support and that's something I just don't have. Sorry if this thread has been a bit of a time waster.

I would not consider it a time waster even if you have decided to pull out. I liked a lot of the ideas going on here and I think that I would like to work on the project, possibly even by myself so that I won't disappoint anyone if I change my mind. I am taking computer science in university next year so I should be able to extend my knowledge of the programming side of things. If I get anything done or need any help I know I could always come back here.

What I mean by all this is I can't really accept the torch on this one either but I will try to work on it as I really like the concept.

Last edited by a moderator:
bananajamslam said:
Sly said:

I would not consider it a time waster even if you have decided to pull out. I liked a lot of the ideas going on here and I think that I would like to work on the project, possibly even by myself so that I won't disappoint anyone if I change my mind. I am taking computer science in university next year so I should be able to extend my knowledge of the programming side of things. If I get anything done or need any help I know I could always come back here.

What I mean by all this is I can't really accept the torch on this one either but I will try to work on it as I really like the concept.

Well, I'm quite a competent (not that experienced, I've done at least 3 languages properly) programmer and already Studying computer science this year, if it's anything like my course you won't be picking up much that's useful in gaming, the problem is that designing a game is not like your normal programming. You need to have a way of handling the non-physical principles but also displaying it at the same time through graphics. Admintantly if some dropped a near complete engine in my lap I might go for it but I don't see it happening.

I'm currently trying to do a small real time game using XNA and it's horrible trying to understand how to program code that isn't going to be event driven.

I was abit hasty earlier but all the same, it's kind of a no go to try and work from scratch.

Jourdy288 said:
Maybe this engine could help:
http://ika.sourceforge.net/

I must admit that's a pretty good engine, If I ever am going to pick this back up I'd probably use Ika, obviously it depends if it'll actually work on the Pandora. The problem I'm having at the moment is I'm not very skilled at games programming, my code management is pretty sloppy. The game I'm doing atm in XNA, should be really simple 2D game but at even an early stage the code is so bloated it's causing lag in something simple as moving an object with the keyboard.

I really need to learn to be a 'games' programmer rather than just a programmer, but it's going to take alot of time, me thinks.

yes a pokemon style game would be great: mybe the gameplay from platin and the grapic from pokemon stadium from the n64, than the one arm bandit (slotmachine) which in the european version of platin was censored, and a real awesome wlan mp modus and the mp3 player suport to the second sdhc slot, and i would be happy... :)

matzesu said:
and a real awesome wlan mp modus and the mp3 player suport to the second sdhc slot, and i would be happy... :)

And some pizza, I'm kinda hungry!

But how do you mean, MP3 player support? Like, customizable music? That shouldn't be too hard, just put all the music in a folder labelled "music" and allow players to swap their own music in.

lulzfish said:
matzesu said:
and a real awesome wlan mp modus and the mp3 player suport to the second sdhc slot, and i would be happy... :)

And some pizza, I'm kinda hungry!

But how do you mean, MP3 player support? Like, customizable music? That shouldn't be too hard, just put all the music in a folder labelled "music" and allow players to swap their own music in.

I assume he means a way of playing music through the game while playing, which yeh is quite possible I think. As for the whole 3D graphics bit... I'd say... so unlikely it's next to impossible... for starters drawing around 150 2D animations is hard enough, let alone making 3D models for each one and comming up with different 3D movements... plus 'adventure' modes have never fully been tried in Pokemon so I wouldn't suggest trying it in this either

yes, i means custom musik support, but i would like your game witout this fiture too because: the in game music is a serious part of the game :) it was only an idea, but when it is too diverent, its your game and its your decision, i can only bring ideas, but only in easy english words because my english is better than my french... :p

Back