Master Class - Pokemon style game?

The pandora could work as "pokedex" and you capture your monsters on sdcard. Dependant on the size of the cards you collect or buy ingame, you can store more or less monsters on one, while you can carry around as much as you like, you can only use the ones in a battle, that are stored in one of the two sdslots in the Pandora.

Just a suggestion

Will there be evolutions?

You could even change the evolution system a little.

Only a few sterting monsters but with different ways to evolve.

This might be more complicater to make than the original Pokemon-system.

The pandora could work as "pokedex" and you capture your monsters on sdcard. Dependant on the size of the cards you collect or buy ingame, you can store more or less monsters on one, while you can carry around as much as you like, you can only use the ones in a battle, that are stored in one of the two sdslots in the Pandora.
I thought of something similar, not quite sure how it'd work out practically, it'd basically just be like saving the game on each SD card.

Will there be evolutions?

You could even change the evolution system a little.

Only a few sterting monsters but with different ways to evolve.

This might be more complicater to make than the original Pokemon-system.
Yes. Primarily it will follow a level based evolution path. However, I plan some items that will allow alternative evolutions to occur.

I'm not quite sure how Pokemon works out stat upgrades, but my approach will be "experience based". Basically, if your monster has two attacks "Punch" and "Quick Attack", quick attack obviously having a higher speed, if you constantly use Quick Attack, the speed attribute on your monster will increase more than the other stats at level up time.

I could also use these stats to drive evolution chains. ie. Say if you start out with a mouse type creature. If you do a lot of fast attacks, it evolves into some speed based creature, but if it does a lot of defensive moves, it evolves into more of a "tanking" creature.

That last bit is a new idea and hasn't been fleshed out yet, but possible

Edit: I might look on this in making evolution chains longer, so reducing the need to think up tons of different creatures that are effectively the same, but giving a nice spread

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, when I was having a look at your engine, I was trying to figure out your CalcStats function, but I wasn't quite sure what it was doing. Now you've said that, it makes a lot of sense :)

Sounds like some cool ideas, i like the attack based exp system though, makes more sense to me, i mean, a boxer in real life wouldnt be a good sprinter if he kept boxing.

Pokemon isn't my "thing", but it might be quite interesting if you could get some sort of genetic evolution going - maybe the winner of a battle would get the chance to "cross breed" and either gain upgrades based on the vanquished creature or maybe get to take the offspring into their collection.

I suppose you could also "trade" characteristics by breeding with your mates. Not you, your creatures.

D.

I suppose you could also "trade" characteristics by breeding with your mates. Not you, your creatures.

*snickers*

halolz-dot-com-pokemon-machoke-clefairy-rapecomic.jpg

Sorry... couldn't resist...

- Neelix

Pokemon isn't my "thing", but it might be quite interesting if you could get some sort of genetic evolution going - maybe the winner of a battle would get the chance to "cross breed" and either gain upgrades based on the vanquished creature or maybe get to take the offspring into their collection.

I did think about that, have characteristics like 2 legs, 3 legs, 4 legs, wings etc. then generate all the sprites based off the different templates, but I decided it would require too much work to make the joined images look "right".

I also toyed with the gender idea, but just decided against it, just because I don't think it'll really add anything.

How about little upgradable robots?

Then maybe Mr. Potato head style sprite upgrades could work.

robot-head-icons-thumb6728074.jpg

stock-vector-colorful-pixel-art-robot-icons-with-cast-shadow-easy-edit-vector-file-3824854.jpg

robot-icon-thumb14611071.jpg

Cute_Robot_Icons_by_bebesushii.png

8987375-cartoon-robot-icon.jpg

Going back to page 3, I would vote for 2D monsters because they would be much easier to make and then animations don't have to be added to the 3D model. Also adding "joints" to the monster would look nice, like they do in Aquaria and Cortex Command, but that would make it too hard for some people that want to help draw up some monsters.

Yeah, the battle view will probably end up in 2D, purely because of the amount of effort that would be required for 3D, not necessarily from a development side, but from an art side. I would love to go voxel though for all the models. Though I'm not sure how that would like in a cylindrical world :unsure:

The battle will remain turn-based, however, we are looking at ideas on how to mix things up. Though it could end up that we just make some attacks that cause the mixing, as opposed to the battle mechanics.

We are going to need at least one 3D artist though, to assist in the world view. But not there yet.

If you wanted to mix up the turn based battles, Final Fantsy X had a System that used the speed stat of various attacks to determin the order of who attacks when.

I've had this idea of using distance as a battle modifier for some time. The space in which the brawling parties move would be limited and there would be different ways to move your character (or the other one), from simple walking to huge leap attacks and moves that knock the enemy back. Being cornered would give the attacker some bonuses, but also unlock certain moves for the defender (like wall jumping to the other side of the enemy). Some long range moves could take longer to charge, during which you'd be exposed to attacks. This is why you'd first get some distance to the opponent, or perhaps stick them to the ground with goo.

The beauty of this is that it yields a whole lot of interesting scenarios with starting positions, arena size, monsters built for different situations and whatnot, but actually is implementable with three numbers (arena size and monster positions).

On the PS3 there is a game called cross edge which uses distance as a modifier, you can move your 4 characters around a 3x4 grid individually, certain characters next to each other would unlock new abilities and the like, modifying that idea so there are walls around the edges, or not if in an open area, would make a much more dynamic battle system, but it'd probably be difficult to implement.

Oh, I also have another idea which is probably not implementable here, but I'll still out it :p

I'm thinking about a 2D tactical brawling system. Basically the system works input-wise like Final Fantasy 6 in wait-mode. IIRC, character's time bars fill up according to their speed and when a character gets his bar full time stops and he picks what to do. The hit mechanics and general flow of the battle would be like in the Tales series (basically 2D brawler). Combine with pokemon's wide array of moves and I think the result would be quite enjoyable. The key difference here is keeping the combat asynchronous and command based, rather than direct control. I think it would better convey the experience of being a trainer. This system would also allow for combo moves whenever the character speed and move duration (higher duration = longer time to wait until next action) allow, like a quick dash attack followed by fast leg sweep followed by a knockback move.

But it would be quite difficult to implement well :D

Could the landscape/arena/whatever be 3D, while creature sprites were 2D, always facing the camera ?

In Sacred it is the other way around: 2D tiles and 3D creatures and characters.

But if I am right, it is more like the modern Pokémon games (like black and white): 3D landscape and the characters and pokémon are still 2D tiles.

In Paper Mario you don't have sprites always seen from the front side. They are rotating in the 3D space sometime. ;-)

Back