Pandora Mame4all "new" (recompiled with gcc-4.7.1) .pnd

I understand that, but why the old one doesn't work anymore, even when i deleted all... ? :/

How can i recompile it to make it compatible with Zaxxon ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd think your first order is to determine why the original .pnd nolonger works (and by implication, many other .pnd's)

-> ie: given that pnd works on normal firmware, and does not work on yours .. is that the give? or is there some configuration issue in your Slack?

Did you delete an old glibc, or not install the right glibc, in your slack?

Once you get the regular pnd working, then try fixing your new build...

jeff

The old mame doesn't work on a reflashed Zaxxon, that's what's killing me right now.

you type pretty well for a killed person ;)

just a shot in the dark, but I several times had issues with very strange syntoms that I could not explain in any way because I had two PNDs with the same packageID in directories that are being searched by pndnotifyd/libPND. This includes the root-directory of the SD-card.

While the chance is low that this is the source of the problem it's always worth checking when you got no other clue.

A new strangeness:

I played many times today and compared new and old with the exact same settings (i just swapped the .pnds), and i'm 200% sure the new is faster.

Now, suddently, the new m4a is back at the same speed than the old.

Same Slack, same card, same .pnds.

Solved the problem, thanks to _wb_.

I kept backups of different mame4all .pnds at the root of the SD card.

For an unknown reason, they were still recognized by pndnotifyd and linked in the menu, so that's why the thought old version but in fact Slack-optimized never ran under Zaxxon.

I'll try to compile a static version someday as the Slack pnd is definitely faster.

That would be because people started complaining after they failed to read the instructions and just dumped their PNDs in the root folder of the SD card then wondered why they weren't working.   So the root folder was added to the libpnd search path.  (I think this was back in Hotfix 5 or 6)  

So now if you want to hide a file from libPND it needs to go in a subdirectory,  not the root of the card.

- Neelix

Ah ok, thanks !

This whole adventure was a big piece of mystery to me ^^.

is there any chance those of us who don't use Slackware will get this updated PD on native Super Zaxxon firmware at some stage too? :)

Not a single chance.

;^)

The fastest way would be to ask PtitSeb as i'm busy ^^.

Solved the problem, thanks to _wb_.

I kept backups of different mame4all .pnds at the root of the SD card.

For an unknown reason, they were still recognized by pndnotifyd and linked in the menu, so that's why the thought old version but in fact Slack-optimized never ran under Zaxxon.

I'll try to compile a static version someday as the Slack pnd is definitely faster.
Ages ago, Craig quite right took us to task for why suers have to set up directories on their SD for apps to work; I think the original idea was my bad, because ID idnt' want to have to search an entire SD card .. a lot of decisions originalyl were due to the possibility someone might jack in a 32GB SD, or a hard drive on usb, etc, and I didn't want to scan 30,000 files to figure out if they're applications or not... hence, a well defined directory structure (which then led us to think of /pandora/appdata, and so on.)

Anyway, Craig quite right insisted we make the SD root work, so peopel can just drop some pnds on there, but I worried over the above..

So libpnd conf has an option to specify depth limits now; so it will look in the usual places (/pandora/apps etc), and it will also look at / on a media device... but the / is depth-limited so it won't descend, but the /pandora/apps (Etc) will descend; so you can use /pandora/menu/games/foo.pnd and it'll work (lets you organize your SD a little), but /games/foo.pnd will not; /foo.pnd will. You can alter the conf if you want /games/foo.pnd to work, however (and can store the conf on SD, so that it only applies when that SD is jacked in, too :)

jeff

I have a cannot find -lSDL and cannot find -llts ...

I suppose it's because i didn't compiled SDL as static also ? Is there any downside to this ?

Back