Mame Gp2x 2.5 Is Out!

I tried converting one of the invaders samples from 8kHz to 11kHz to make it sound correct (they're all too high pitched - planning to do all of them) and it didn't play the sample at all (same name, but of course different size). Did I do something stupid or is the size or something coded in the driver (had a quick look and couldn't see a driver specifically for invaders).

Kev

Oops I was thinking one thing and said another. The falling sound is there check again. Where did you get your samples from? I downloaded mine right here from GP32X.

The files in my dkong.zip are...

efect00-effect05.sam
interupt.sam
tune01-tune09.sam
tune0b-tune0f.sam

There is no tune0a.sam

I have the same files. There is no falling sound. It is supposed to be like a whistle that starts out higher pitched and goes lower pitched as Kong is falling. It is not there on the GP2X.

The running sound is not quite right either. It is only playing half of it, there should be an alternating high-low pitch but only one is there.

DKjr is missing almost every sound.

Odd because the falling sound is there. I even double checked today. I got my samples from here (hence my comment about there being too many). As for marios walking sound that was not corrected until later versions of mame. Right around the time they switched to .wav files.

I remember all this because back then I was actually following every MAME update until the mame team surpassed my tolerance threshold for change. :lol:

OK I did a test and it confirmed what I was originally thinking. I removed the dkong.zip file from my samples directory (hence removing the samples for the game) and the falling sound was still there. It is not a sample, it is generated by the emulated sound chip.

kevcal posted on Sep 1 2006 at 03:55 PM said:
I tried converting one of the invaders samples from 8kHz to 11kHz to make it sound correct (they're all too high pitched - planning to do all of them) and it didn't play the sample at all (same name, but of course different size). Did I do something stupid or is the size or something coded in the driver (had a quick look and couldn't see a driver specifically for invaders).

Kev

What tool did you use to convert them?

BTW - There shouldn't be a need to do this as the mixer should convert frequencies. It's probably something I haven't allowed for in the sample playing code.

Last edited by a moderator:
slaanesh posted on Sep 1 2006 at 07:49 AM said:
What tool did you use to convert them?
Soundforge.. opened as RAW file and exported as RAW (has some problems as SF was keen to make the sample unsigned, even though I told it to save signed..
slaanesh posted on Sep 1 2006 at 07:49 AM said:
BTW - There shouldn't be a need to do this as the mixer should convert frequencies. It's probably something I haven't allowed for in the sample playing code.
Interesting - the samples are definitely 8kHz played at 11kHz IMO...

Kev

Is there no way of getting cisco heat to work with MAME? I know its not on the compatiblity list but its a real old game as well 1990 can it not be added to the DAT for recompiling ?

Greenchili posted on Sep 1 2006 at 06:03 AM said:
OK I did a test and it confirmed what I was originally thinking. I removed the dkong.zip file from my samples directory (hence removing the samples for the game) and the falling sound was still there. It is not a sample, it is generated by the emulated sound chip.

So why doesn't mine work? That makes no sense at all :blink:

DaveC posted on Sep 1 2006 at 10:18 AM said:

Have you tried the "on and accurate" sound setting?

</stab in the dark>

DaveC posted on Sep 1 2006 at 10:18 AM said:

Beats me... Don't the newer firmwares use a different SDL that affects sound?

DaveC posted on Sep 1 2006 at 03:34 AM said:
I tried converting those but no work.

In DK jr it only plays a few of the converted samples and they are all screechy loud and just wrong. Most do not work at all I suppose they renamed them (as the MAME team LOVES to constantly do) and I don't know what the names should be.
I've converted these from the 0.36 set and have got some good results. Converting to RAW format does the job as .SAM is just signed, 8-bit RAW.
However, they won't work unless it has the correct header - the tool I used did not put a header on at all...
After hand editing each file, they now work okay.

I'll release a new update to the samples archive with GP32 MAME 2.3 but if anyone wants dkongjr.zip sample set with all the samples let me know.

slaanesh posted on Sep 3 2006 at 07:04 AM said:
DaveC posted on Sep 1 2006 at 03:34 AM said:
I tried converting those but no work.

In DK jr it only plays a few of the converted samples and they are all screechy loud and just wrong. Most do not work at all I suppose they renamed them (as the MAME team LOVES to constantly do) and I don't know what the names should be.
I've converted these from the 0.36 set and have got some good results. Converting to RAW format does the job as .SAM is just signed, 8-bit RAW.
However, they won't work unless it has the correct header - the tool I used did not put a header on at all...

I'll release a new update to the samples archive with GP32 MAME 2.3 but if anyone wants dkongjr.zip sample set with all the samples let me know.

Ok I am letting you know.. I would like the working DKjr samples :p

slaanesh posted on Sep 3 2006 at 08:04 AM said:
Any chance of of telling me what the header chnage is as I'd like to get the invaders ones sorted..
Also, did you find a problem with the sample conversion routine - ie 8kHz -> 11kHz or whatever it is :blink:

Kev

o0o0o posted on Aug 22 2006 at 02:31 PM said:
pomata posted on Aug 22 2006 at 02:08 PM said:
The dream would be to convert the romset 036 at least... :p

Maybe I missed this somewhere, but what is the reason for the emulator needing to be based on such an old version of mame?

I too would like to know the answer to this question. I've tried using clrmame and it won't work for me. I've read the readme and the wiki how-to guide many times and have never gotten it to work right. It's pretty user unfriendly. So, why does Mame2X need to be romset v 0.34 and how hard would it be to update it to v 0.36/0.37 romsets?

Guys, for those looking for the 0.34 romset you could do what I ended up doing (as I couldn't backwards convert either).

I did a search for the Dreamcast Mame pack which was based on 0.34 and included the romset. Downloaded it, kept the roms, ditched the rest and they all work pretty much as expected. Start trawling the web and you'll find it soon enough :)

I think in order to properly restore to older versions one needs what is called \"the mame rollback set\" which allows such things to be done.

Back