Mame Gp2x 3.9

alyinsanfran said:
1) This is a fantastic release. I've not upgraded for a while, and this is blowing me away. Donkey Kong with clean sound!

2) Ok, I realise I may be the last surviving gamer who actually likes, nay loves Journey... but it keeps rebooting. For sure it'll be waaaaaay down the list of priorities, but it sure would be nice to play this on the GP2X.

Could this issue be to do with the cassette player that was inside the arcade cabinet? If so, is there a work around to turn that bit off?

Anyway, great great work on this release. :)
Good News Everybody! :)

All you need to do to make Journey work is make sure that Video and Audio Clock are set to 100%.

Happy Gaming!

Last edited by a moderator:
slaanesh said:
alyinsanfran said:
1) This is a fantastic release. I've not upgraded for a while, and this is blowing me away. Donkey Kong with clean sound!

2) Ok, I realise I may be the last surviving gamer who actually likes, nay loves Journey... but it keeps rebooting. For sure it'll be waaaaaay down the list of priorities, but it sure would be nice to play this on the GP2X.

Could this issue be to do with the cassette player that was inside the arcade cabinet? If so, is there a work around to turn that bit off?

Anyway, great great work on this release. :)
Good News Everybody! :)

All you need to do to make Journey work is make sure that Video and Audio Clock are set to 100%.

Happy Gaming!

Slaanesh, you are the man. Cheers!

slaanesh said:
I noticed this made Donkey Kong sound a lot better too. Is this very common with games that require samples?

imhotep said:
slaanesh said:
I noticed this made Donkey Kong sound a lot better too. Is this very common with games that require samples?

It depends. Strictly speaking, Audio Clock is only effective on audio if it has an audio CPU or if the audio hardware uses some sort of timer. Some games use samples and a timer. Seting Audio Clock to 100% shouldn't really matter. For best results with samples, you really need to be running at 60FPS.

I would recommend:

Video Clock 100%
Audio Clock 100%
Frameskip 0
Video Sync Vsync & DblBuf
GP2X Clock 200Mhz (or whatever speed required to keep at full frame rate)

slaanesh said:
I would recommend:

Video Clock 100%
Audio Clock 100%
Frameskip 0
That is the config i use always for every game.

Sometimes i only use Dblbuf instead of Vsync&Dblbuf with some CPS1 games because my GP2X with 275 of maximun OC is not enough to move well VSYNC& Dblbuf.

After a lot of months of experience that is the perfect config.

Thanks slaanesh and Rivroner. I had pretty much been using default settings up till now so it's good to know what more experienced people use.

Brilliant update, but has anybody been able to get Space Invaders running, mine keeps locking up when it gets to "Audio Hardware....."

Also, is it possible to get Rainbow Islands running correctly as the enemies are below the ground

I've managed to find a site that is hosting all the sample files in sam format, am I aloud to give it out on here?

Rivroner said:
slaanesh said:
I would recommend:

Video Clock 100%
Audio Clock 100%
Frameskip 0
That is the config i use always for every game.

Sometimes i only use Dblbuf instead of Vsync&Dblbuf with some CPS1 games because my GP2X with 275 of maximun OC is not enough to move well VSYNC& Dblbuf.

After a lot of months of experience that is the perfect config.

Cool, thanks for this config example. I am searching for good default configs since a long time. It's just to stupid to search the optimum config for each game to have the best average rate between performance and Battery time. MAME gave me some trouble because of the many configurable parameters, especially this Audio/video clock % and buffer options.

A nice build in feature for MAME would be some kind of pre-defined game-settings in a big list so MAME choose the best settings for each game automaticly and maybe the used core executable to (normal, compatible, fast) :)

slaanesh said:
I would recommend:

Video Clock 100%
Audio Clock 100%
Frameskip 0
This config should be used for earlier games or those that use samples.
Some games, regardless of really high overclock will not reach their full frame rate. ie usually 60FPS making this config appallingly bad.

I would suggest:

Video Clock 80%
Audio Clock 80%
Frameskip <2 (autoframeskip)
Video Sync Normal
GP2X Clock Maximum Mhz capable of your GP2X

Check the FPS display, and hopefully it will be over 20FPS so that the sound keeps up.
Anything above 30FPS is usually "good enough" for me.
Full frame rate is of course ideal.

Oh yes, I've also added tilemapping code to MAME; this was introduced in MAME 0.35 and is useful for adding new games that rely on this approach to rendering graphics.
As a bonus, it's sometimes a little bit faster.

As an experiment, I've converted Ghosts and Goblins and Xain'd Sleena.
Xain'd Sleena is the big winner here and as a result of this and some other optimizations i've got it running about 5 FPS faster. It's only of my old favourites as I remember playing it at my local fish 'n chip shop.
Ghost and Goblins was already full speed so I reduced the GP2X speed until it was pumping out less that 60FPS.
The new tilemap code only added ~1FPS in this case.

The bad news is that it's somehow interfering with games that use lots of colors - like TMNT.
I'll have to go through the palette code again to make sure that I haven't stuffed something up. :-/

slaanesh said:
I would recommend:

Video Clock 100%
Audio Clock 100%
Frameskip 0
I am still getting the sound glitches in DKjr with these settings, it doesn't seem to help. Try loading the game (or any other) then exit the game. Then try re-loading DKjr. When you do the opening music is all garbled. Then when you jump the landing sample is played twice followed by a loud BUZZ. No settings that I have tried seem to fix it.

Edit: Sorry, I think that my question would have better in other place. I have moved it.

Okay, I've had a crack at improving sounds in Donkey Kong and DK Jr.

Both use a combination of a DAC sound system coupled with discrete circuits for other sound effects (this is where samples are often used).

I've updated the DAC driver and jigged some of the samples. It should play a little better now - DaveC can be the judge of this.

However, I've been thinking of adding the discrete sound system driver as this will replace MANY sampled sounds in older games, like Space Invaders, Asteroids, etc.

The problem is that the discrete sound system wasn't added until MAME v0.66, a long way removed from the version we are using now. But I'd like to give it a try and see how it goes.

slaanesh said:
However, I've been thinking of adding the discrete sound system driver as this will replace MANY sampled sounds in older games, like Space Invaders, Asteroids, etc.

The problem is that the discrete sound system wasn't added until MAME v0.66, a long way removed from the version we are using now. But I'd like to give it a try and see how it goes.

Thanks for looking at it. Better sample support would be fantastic. Good luck :)

Slaanesh can you see if it is possible to add sound to Wonder Boy in Monster Lair and Tumblepop and to correct the graphical errors in Wonder Boy in MonsterLand?

Thank you :)

Rivroner said:
Slaanesh can you see if it is possible to add sound to Wonder Boy in Monster Lair and Tumblepop and to correct the graphical errors in Wonder Boy in MonsterLand?

Thank you :)
I'll look into it.

Ummm... what's Tumblepop?

Back