Mame Gp2x 3.9

Wardner is probably my fave 80's-90's platform game and is much better than ghouls&ghosts/goblins imho.

It's a shame it isn't well known - although oddly it was much more common in the arcades in the north of england than any other platformer.

Sadly there isn't a good home version. The Megadrive version is a really good example of how to get the feel of a game totally wrong, and why did they change the level designs after level1? Arrghhh.

I'd love to see the arcade version on the 2x so it gets my vote! :D

craigix said:
Wardner is probably my fave 80's-90's platform game and is much better than ghouls&ghosts/goblins imho.

It's a shame it isn't well known - although oddly it was much more common in the arcades in the north of england than any other platformer.

Sadly there isn't a good home version. The Megadrive version is a really good example of how to get the feel of a game totally wrong, and why did they change the level designs after level1? Arrghhh.

I'd love to see the arcade version on the 2x so it gets my vote! :D
Totally agree with you _:D

Megadrive version is another game indeed, but is a good one too.Although i prefer the arcade one. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
kevcal said:
I wasn't actually requesting you do anything (apart from reply to my post :)), just interested to know what would be involved.
The CPU interface code went through an overhaul during 0.35, so adding new CPUs introduce from this point onwards becomes a bit tricky. The interrupt handlers also changed at around the same time, and this also adds to the trickiness of adding games which don't have the CPU hardware already in place.

Upgrading the MAME base to 0.36 would solve alot of these problems.

Personally, I'd love to see the Komami games using the custom KONAMI CPU run on the GP2X. They'd run really well. Examples include Parodius, Simpsons and Super Contra.
Another example of unsupported CPUs is the V30 - used by Raiden, R-Type, Mr Heli and Dragon Breed, also introduced in 0.36

Unfortunately Cosmic Guerilla's only one of 5 games (out of like 3500+ MAME supported games) that use the TMS9980 CPU.

Updating MAME GP2X to use recent ROMs (like 0.115) would also be a major task with little gain. The drivers are usually heavily tied to the ROMs, so it's not really a simple task. As far as I can see, it will never happen. Sorry.

I'll have another crack at Wardner. It's basically the same hardware as Twin Cobra but I remember there were some issues last time I tried it, but that was on the GP32 which can be really difficult to debug. :D
Should be doable on MAME GP2X and should run just as well as Twin Cobra. ie. Real Nice!

slaanesh said:
Personally, I'd love to see the Komami games using the custom KONAMI CPU run on the GP2X. They'd run really well. Examples include Parodius, Simpsons and Super Contra.
Simpsons arcade is my misspent youth right there.. :)

After the wonderful work done by Slaanesh, i have no much to say... Anyway i have also fixed the speed of the emulator (in MAME GP2X 3.9 and previous versions t runs a bit faster than normal, 64 fps instead of 60 fps, it is now fixed). Also i have done some optimizations in the sound part. But with the accurate and correct speed, some sound glitches appears in some games, and maybe DaveC will not be happy. Anyway i prefer the correct speed playing the games and i assume the minimal sound glitches could be assumed by everybody.

@Slaanesh & Franxis

It is really good to see you guys keep hacking away at MAME for GP2X, it is getting better all the time. B)

I know the to-do list is growing faster at the bottom than you can implement stuff at the top. Please consider releasing intermediate versions rather than waiting until "everything" has been done. (Label them as Betas if you want.) It would be a shame if we didn't see the benefits of all your hard work until Christmas. :glare:

Laser said:
Please consider releasing intermediate versions rather than waiting until "everything" has been done. (Label them as Betas if you want.) It would be a shame if we didn't see the benefits of all your hard work until Christmas. :glare:
That's why they have two sayings for people requesting things like this...

1) Patients is a virtue.
2) Good things come to those who wait.

;)

Yorper said:
I'm a developer too (though not for gp32x - yet!) so I have no wish to "bug" the developers for a release. (Well, not much... :unsure: )

However, as a user I am eager to see the improvements slaanesh has already discussed in this thread, and as a developer I know I can get disappointed that I've fixed a ton of important bugs but got sidetracked into some lengthly changes which delay the release of stuff I wanted to release several weeks ago.

So, therefore keeping all parties happy, don't let it be six months before another version hits us, ok? ;) :p

Laser said:
Yorper said:
I'm a developer too (though not for gp32x - yet!) so I have no wish to "bug" the developers for a release. (Well, not much... :unsure: )

However, as a user I am eager to see the improvements slaanesh has already discussed in this thread, and as a developer I know I can get disappointed that I've fixed a ton of important bugs but got sidetracked into some lengthly changes which delay the release of stuff I wanted to release several weeks ago.

So, therefore keeping all parties happy, don't let it be six months before another version hits us, ok? ;) :p

Relax. If it takes six months for an update it is for good reason. It is better to wait a few weeks for a good release that is tested rather than releasing a bug-bomb.

I've got Pandora's Palace working, though I need to fix a tilemap bug. I think it's something to do with the way I've set something up. Otherwise it's looking good and has been a good learning experience on getting a tilemap game working with MAME GP2X. I would imagine other tilemap games may be easier and others more difficult, depending on the complexity of the game.

Pandora's Palace, despite it's small ROM size and modest graphics actually needs quite a bit of grunt to run at full speed as it has no less than 4 CPUs! (2x 6809, 1x Z80 and 1x8039).

slaanesh said:
I've got Pandora's Palace working

Awesome! :D I look forward to being able to play this one of the GP2X! Hopefully this also opens the door to more games that wouldn't have otherwise been possible without tilemaps :)

Pandora's Palace, despite it's small ROM size and modest graphics actually needs quite a bit of grunt to run at full speed as it has no less than 4 CPUs! (2x 6809, 1x Z80 and 1x8039).

Wow, I didn't realize there was so much silicon in this one... how well does it run on the GP2X?

--Zero

Ze_ro said:

Wow, I didn't realize there was so much silicon in this one... how well does it run on the GP2X?
Fullspeed @ 225Mhz but at frameskip 1 or thereabouts getting ~30FPS.

Okay fixed Pandora's Palace. It's fully playable with sounds, music, the whole she-bang.
FPS varies between 25-45FPS @ 225Mhz, depending on music and sound effects playing (due to being a DAC soundsystem).

By the way, good news DaveC! I noticed that the latest version of MAME 0.116 now supports discrete sound for the Donkey Kong! ie. no more samples. Note, that this will probably never make it to the GP2X version as it looks seriously complex and slow running.

slaanesh said:
By the way, good news DaveC! I noticed that the latest version of MAME 0.116 now supports discrete sound for the Donkey Kong! ie. no more samples. Note, that this will probably never make it to the GP2X version as it looks seriously complex and slow running.
Thanks for the info. I never play MAME on the PC though, I don't have the controller for it and I don't care for how it looks blown up on a PC monitor :( I like it on the GP2X even if more limited :)

DaveC said:
slaanesh said:
Thanks for the info. I never play MAME on the PC though, I don't have the controller for it and I don't care for how it looks blown up on a PC monitor :( I like it on the GP2X even if more limited :)

The PC version is good so that you can gauge what games SHOULD look and sound like... I use it all the time.

I haven't tried DK yet but I'm keen to give this a crack as I want to hear the sounds with the discrete sound system.

Back