Franxis

MAME 4 ALL
Website
franxis.zxq.net
New version of my MAME port for the GP2X console, with the following changes:

- DIP-Switches support.
- Merge witch Chui's MAME4ALL Alpha v2.
- Sarge controls fixed.
- Fix in the samples support. Thx, Slaanesh.
- New icons by DaveC have been included.

Get it here: http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/

Dip switch support! Very nice. Great to see you back Franxis.

As far as 'fix' in samples, does anyone know to which games that applies? Do we need to change any sample files to take advantage of this?

I know there were problems with samples play at certain frequencies - I think they were all played at 11kHz, but (say) Space Invaders samples were 8kHz, so they sounded too high-pitched.
Think there was a thread in here somewhere, possibly this one?? _2_.8 WIP:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=32177&hl=

Last edited by a moderator:
The fix to the samples was simply to allow more samples to play.

Problems with actual samples haven't been changed. The only updated samples was released sometime ago, I think they were for Donkey Kong and Space Invaders - honestly I can't remember and would need to check.

I was saying in another thread about the loss of sound issue, which still seems to be apparent. I was playing with my own compiled versions of Mame GP2X v3.7; testing a few things.

I was in process of creating a debug version and did a test compile but found that I couldn't replicate the problem with my test build. Normally the sound would disappear, depending on which game you play after even the first switch of games. ie. I played 1943 with v3.8 and the next game I selected, 1942 played with no sound.

With my debug build I'd played about 40-50 games consecutively each game had full sound. I had removed some code from ym3812.cpp re: loading drum samples and also added some debugging messages in sndhrdw/generic.cpp.

I'll reapply my changes on v3.8 source and see if this helps.

THANK YOU for the DIPs. That was the only thing I did not like in the GP2X version of Mame.

PacMan in too much coffee mode is great. Plus we can make some of the games alot harder now.

THANKS again :D

Now that DIP switch support was added, got me wondering, how difficult would it be to add cheat support? Is that something that's pretty simple, or rather involved? A quick google search and I found a cheat file dating all the way back to MAME 36b13, so usable files might be out there if the executable supports it.

Just asking on behalf of us all 'wussy' gamers. :p

slaanesh said:
Normally the sound would disappear, depending on which game you play after even the first switch of games. ie. I played 1943 with v3.8 and the next game I selected, 1942 played with no sound.
It happens here too. Randomly the sound dissapears in the next game played, and 90% of the times this happens MAME crashes on exit.

Good to see you back, Franxis!

Good work with the dipswitches...

Regards,
Stephan

Can't wait 'till break time :D

Thanks again, Franxis .. you rock!

slaanesh said:

Problems with actual samples haven't been changed. The only updated samples was released sometime ago, I think they were for Donkey Kong and Space Invaders - honestly I can't remember and would need to check.

I was saying in another thread about the loss of sound issue, which still seems to be apparent. I was playing with my own compiled versions of Mame GP2X v3.7; testing a few things.

I was in process of creating a debug version and did a test compile but found that I couldn't replicate the problem with my test build. Normally the sound would disappear, depending on which game you play after even the first switch of games. ie. I played 1943 with v3.8 and the next game I selected, 1942 played with no sound.

With my debug build I'd played about 40-50 games consecutively each game had full sound. I had removed some code from ym3812.cpp re: loading drum samples and also added some debugging messages in sndhrdw/generic.cpp.

I'll reapply my changes on v3.8 source and see if this helps.
Any idea what's going on with the sounds in Star Trek? It seems to only play a few samples, and no sound effects at all ... I think there was a version that DID play all the sounds, but I fear my memory may be playing tricks with me ...

slaanesh said:
Are there any examples of added sample support you can tell us? I'm curious, e.g. explosion of ship in Galaga would be nice :)

trepamuros said:
slaanesh said:
Normally the sound would disappear, depending on which game you play after even the first switch of games. ie. I played 1943 with v3.8 and the next game I selected, 1942 played with no sound.
It happens here too. Randomly the sound dissapears in the next game played, and 90% of the times this happens MAME crashes on exit.

I'm with you on that. This is the biggest downside of MAME on gp2x IMHO. :( In other respects it works really well.

About the issue with randomly broken sound; I've encountered a very similiar problem with oldplay.
Sometimes when i use SDL_OpenAudio i get the wrong frequency (even though it claims i get what i asked for), and sometimes it just gets quiet, and sometimes the callback function for the audio buffer is never called. When this happens and i try to close the audio the gp2x lock up (no segfault or anything, forcing me to restart it through the power switch)
Even gdb didn't manage to give me much information. If i remember correctly it waited for the threads to join and it seems it never happens.

Well, enough ranting about oldplay.
Franxis; Does Mame Gp2x close and reopen audio every time you change the game?
If so, this might be the cause for the random quietness/crashes described here.
And, if not, then nevermind me.

Back