Mad Catz - Project M.O.J.O (Android Game Console)

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
Looks like there is another Android Game Console about to be released. This time its from Mad Catz - Code name Project M.O.J.O

Tegra 4 Console?. We will soon see at E3

Story from Engadget:

"So, what with E3 just over the horizon, we're expecting a bunch of gaming news. But a new contestant in the Android gaming market? From an established gaming hardware maker? Well, apparently so, according to Mad Catz CEO Darren Richardson who announced "Project M.O.J.O." in a recent earnings call. Calling it an Android "micro console," Richardson claims it's like a supercharged smartphone, without a display, that you plug into a flatscreen TV. Richardson was also keen to stress that it's all about hardware performance, and will be open platform (rather than selling content). There are no details about specification at this stage, but M.O.J.O. is likely to be the fruit of a recent NVIDIA partnership, and will be the centerpiece of Mad Catz's own GameSmart products, which ensures a slew of peripherals and controller options. This partnership also likely meansTegra Zone compatibility, and therefore games from launch. For now we'll have to sit and wait, but it looks like Android gaming is about to step up a gear."

See the story first hand here: http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/07/mad-catz-ceo-announces-project-m-o-j-o-android-gaming-console/

Hmm, Lets see, so far we have : Ouya, GameStick, Green Throttle, GamePop and now this. Me thinks its getting crowded. And we haven't seen any of the big players launch anything yet in this space.

Update:

Looks like they are aiming to include a Tegra 4 SOC and to release it Q4. It will also have 2 USB ports so you can plug 2 controllers in if you want (wireless otherwise) plus it will have 16gb storage and uSD slot. IT will come with a controller and will be compatible with their suite of peripherals like keyboards and mouse etc.

Here's a good story on it including photos and video of it.: http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/06/07/e3-2013-mad-catz-project-mojo-android-games-console-revealed?abthid=51b21fe946465c4144000010

https://www.youtube.com/embed/J4IFc0zUuU0?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
Another OUYA style device.

I hope game devs don't start focusing too much on these devices and only release games which can be played on this or that device ... rather than being able to be played on any Android device.

I'm tired of theses plain android "console" that claims to be revolutionary... they offer nothing at all, and lots of app won't even accept being installed on such for lack of accelerometers, touchscreen, GPS or anything else thanks to the new play market...

I'm tired of theses plain android "console" that claims to be revolutionary... they offer nothing at all, and lots of app won't even accept being installed on such for lack of accelerometers, touchscreen, GPS or anything else thanks to the new play market...
Think of a little differently - they are simple using Android as the OS, thats all.  They are trying to develop a game console built on the Android OS.  That might be a better way of viewing them.  As you say they wont load touchscreen games etc because they are deliberately not designed for them - They are after the normal console game segment and have used Android simply as he OS. 

Agreed. I mean, if they want to call all these Android devices, consoles, then you may as well call every single tablet (or smartphone) out there a console too, because that's all these so called revolutionary android consoles are...

A tablet in another form.

Think of a little differently - they are simple using Android as the OS, thats all.  They are trying to develop a game console built on the Android OS.  That might be a better way of viewing them.  As you say they wont load touchscreen games etc because they are deliberately not designed for them - They are after the normal console game segment and have used Android simply as he OS.
I can only agree, but the problem is that they don't develop games at all...

Depending on how well it works & price, I'd consider something like this purely as an emulation box.. Android already has quite a few very good emulators that are improving on what seems like a weekly basis, & the promising DS/PSP etc emu's will no doubt be significantly boosted by the incoming soc's 

Updated first post with more details and a link to a story with photos of it

It depends what way you look at this i like android its encouraging devs to develop old skool games aswell as new games so alot of my favourite(sadly ignored genre)the shootemup are released for this the more the merrier 

Are these not all proprietary though - if that's the right word?

I like Android too as a platform and like that the library of games is large and still growing strong... but aren't the games made for the OUYA only playable on OUYA and likewise probably with some these other similar newer systems?

Sort of dividing the Android gaming scene to sub platforms

The reason I kind of like the Mojo over the Ouya is that it runs straight un skinned Android, and the play store. So there's no restrictions and limitations like the Ouya has. It also makes it a lot easier to upgrade to the newest Android release

The MOJO Specs and prining have been announced - Tegra 4 SOC priced at $250

To expensive in my book, needed to be under $200. $250 puts it in direct competition with a Wii U, and compared to that, the Wii U is a far better proposition.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/08/mad-catz-m-o-j-o-android-console-shipping-december-10th/

mad-catz-mojo-product-photo-061-655x324.jpg

Yeah, for this money and getting an Android console I'd sooner bump it a little and invest in a Shield. Get that portability bonus

This device tops the Shield in any ways.

First, it is cheaper.

Second, it is the same hardware connected directly to the TV.

Third, you can pop any phone (in example if you put Note 3 you will have superior device) on top of the controller and use it as the SHIELD, which is a monster advantage by itself because you still have 3G/LTE connectivity (SHIELD have WiFi only)

Wii U is already a dead device and there cannot be any comprising to the MOJO, in example, all "hardcore" games for Android are WAY cheaper then the AAA titles for the Wii U.

Mad-Catz-CTRLr.jpg

Back