Looking For People Interested In Creating New Www Page About Pandora

Squidge said:
What I think we do need is a new archive that has more features and doesn't break every 5 minutes ;)
Something like... an apt repository? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
What I think we do need is a new archive that has more features and doesn't break every 5 minutes ;)
Yupp, and a better archive searching function! ^_^

Squidge said:
Already working on it since a week ago :D. Along with another Pandora site (no prizes will be awarded for guessing what).

Orkie said:
Squidge said:
Already working on it since a week ago :D. Along with another Pandora site (no prizes will be awarded for guessing what).

Oh, so am I, and someone else I know :D

I guess we'll just have to pick the winner :D

Does anyone want to post images on what the new file archive should look like? and its features, etc?

Well if you are working on it, make sure it can export an XML file with all the files and one for each file with its version etc. so we can make an auto-updater (in the very unlikely case that you win of course ;)).

No need for that, the website will have a built in "Pandora Update" feature which will be an installable web browser plug in. It'll automatically search your machine and tell you about possible updates. Of course, it'll also report your installed software to the website for statistics, and require you to install the Pandora Genuine Advantage tool to ensure you comply with any applicable software licenses. Although PGA will be mandatory for all Pandora's, it will be a slimline background application that only requires 56MB of RAM and a 400Mhz of processing power. In the likely event that PGA crashes, you device will restart without warning and you will be asked to re-authorise your device before you will be allowed to use it normally again. Although this would seem like a nuisance, its main purpose is to prevent counterfeit software - its a lot easier to breath down the necks of innocent law-abiding people than the people who rip off your software and remove all your copy protection.

I think that about covers all its features ;)

Squidge said:
Although PGA will be mandatory for all Pandora's, it will be a slimline background application that only requires 56MB of RAM and a 400Mhz of processing power.
Finally, a real reason to require 256mb ram :p

StreaK said:
CraigX isnt Hando / Hando isnt CraigX. Its still Hando's site, and he seems not to be interested in maintenance it anymore [ new lay / new sections ] thats why im saying "lets change gp32x main page or create new one.

Do YOU REALLY think the www.gp32x.de is prepared to "say hello" to PANDORA ? Im sure NOT. Theres a plenty things taht need to be done before Pandora nest here [ on gp32x.de ], and everyone that thinks different im sure are wrong.

Well, not to pick nits [nitpick]
  1. Is the pandora even in prototype form?
  2. Are we even 4 months away from pre-order?
  3. Craigix and ED support the Pandora and GP32X
  4. We have yet to see a dev platform run a beta OS
  5. They are all busy making the actual hand-held
  6. Without a handheld there is no need for updates
[/nitpick]

I think differently, therefore I am wrong.

The idea for the Pandora gestated on these boards, the collaborators on the design all met through these boards (True??), and the community here had a big hand in choosing the specs,

TRYING TO TAKE THIS COMMUNITY IS STUPID, THE PANDORA CAME FROM HERE, SITES WILL COME FROM HERE, THE COMMUNITY WILL STAY HERE

In case you haven't noticed, the official openpandora.org links to HERE for the Forums.

Just think about it a little, why would everyone jump ship to somewhere else when all the support is here, and the birth of the machine is here, seems like everyone would be pretty dumb to do that.

Edit: I can remember only a little while ago there wasn't even a Pandora section, what is a new layout if not that? If you mean the front page, it is great, I personally find it very easy to navigate.

Edit2:
I am just trying to understand what you are talking about, the forum and community will stay here, that is a given, do you want a completely separate area for Pandora? As in the Pandora is the only thing on the front page? I just can't see anyone leaving. Weren't there about 5 leaches who tried to make their own little GP2X zone when it came out? And they averaged about .01% of the traffic of gp32x.de on an off day?

I just can't wrap my head around what you want, maybe you need to get into the scene and be pro-active with the people already setting up the Pandora sections/wiki/forums/archive? (notice all the people who posted on here about the real Wiki and the new archive that will be browsable from the GP2X) Instead of asking everyone to split up and waste their talents somewhere else (all of the knock-off GP2X forums basically parroted what was on gp32x.de anyway.)

The only thing that needs to be done is to make sure gp32x can be navigated easily with the Pandora.

Actually that is kind of pointless too, but it would be pretty cool.

I think it's a good idea, and if done properly could complement this board nicely (not to mention driving traffic back here).

It's fair to assume that everyone here wants the Pandora to become a commercial success, right? If not to breathe down the necks of Nintendo & Sony, then to educate the wider community what can be done outside the confines of big dollar branding. "Open Source" and "Linux" are still obscure terms to many people, and nobody but the geeks have heard of the GP2X (in my corner of the world anyway).

Using wikis and forums as the primary information portals automatically alienates a lot of potential buyers. The internet is like any other form of media; people will buy an Audi because they saw a full page glossy photo of it gliding through the mist on a windy Albanian road, not because they saw a page full of engineers talking about it in small text. Shiny things sell. A slick (perhaps blog-styled) news/reviews site with big colourful headers and "accessible" articles could be a great hype generator, hooking in newbies and slingshotting them back to sites like this.

Maybe the official site has something like this in store? In any case, surely another community site can only be a good thing - provided it's a complementary service, not a competing one.

Gruso said:
I think it's a good idea, and if done properly could complement this board nicely (not to mention driving traffic back here).

It's fair to assume that everyone here wants the Pandora to become a commercial success, right? If not to breathe down the necks of Nintendo & Sony, then to educate the wider community what can be done outside the confines of big dollar branding. "Open Source" and "Linux" are still obscure terms to many people, and nobody but the geeks have heard of the GP2X (in my corner of the world anyway).

Using wikis and forums as the primary information portals will automatically alienate a lot of potential buyers. The internet is like any other form of media; people will buy an Audi because they saw a full page glossy photo of it gliding through the mist on a windy Albanian road, not because they saw a page full of engineers talking about it in small text. Shiny things sell. A slick (perhaps blog-styled) news site with big colourful headers and accessible news bites could be a great hype generator, hooking in newbies and slingshotting them back to sites like this.

Maybe the official site has something like this in store? In any case, surely another community site can only be a good thing - provided it's a complementary service, not a competing one.
But isn't it just a fansite at that point? While I do agree about a fansite/news site type thing, eventually everyone will realize that all of the real stuff happens at the source, and most of the good info is in the Wiki.

So a fansite is OK, but just because it is "slick" doesn't mean it is good. Which is why I recommended he help out with the solid base here and make it look good, while it delivers. (I don't know how competing with the original sites will help, and it seems you don't either.)

I agree with all your points. It would effectively be a fansite. Of course slick doesn't mean good, but slick is what captures people before they wander down the rabbit hole. I assure you, coming from someone with a background in PR and media, text-heavy sites turn most people away. Reeling people in is about style, not substance.

No one would have to "jump ship". If approached correctly, it would only require a small team of fans working on it as a side project, delivering content in an entirely different format, aimed at a different set of people, and ultimately directing traffic back here. It doesn't get any more win-win than that.

Of course, if the Pandora is intended to be a secret kept by the likes of us, my views are redundant.

Gruso said:
I agree with all your points. It would effectively be a fansite. Of course slick doesn't mean good, but slick is what captures people before they wander down the rabbit hole. I assure you, coming from someone with a background in PR and media, text-heavy sites turn most people away. Reeling people in is about style, not substance.

No one would have to "jump ship". If approached correctly, it would only require a small team of fans working on it as a side project, delivering content in an entirely different format, aimed at a different set of people, and ultimately directing traffic back here. It doesn't get any more win-win than that.

Of course, if the Pandora is intended to be a secret kept by the likes of us, my views are redundant.
Ah, I love fansites, especially ones showcasing a favorite port of the user. If this site takes off it needs some professional looking video and photos of the actual unit, maybe even a high-res users manual, that would truly set it apart.

To take off it would need to be heavily integrated with the forums here and the official openpandora.org and wiki, that is why I suggested he get together with the guys who are getting everything else ready, to make it a cohesive setup.

I don't need it kept a secret, I just need it to get cheaper and mass-produced. So any more sites would be great.

I am probably the wrong guy to be interested in all of this though, I would ride a uni-motorcycle if it was possible, I am a huge fan of minimalism and functionality.

Yeah, I know where you're coming from. :) For the most part, I'd rather be reading real, meaty sites like this too. But with good marketing, the Pandora could really put the fear into the big players.

nubie said:
Ah, I love fansites, especially ones showcasing a favorite port of the user. If this site takes off it needs some professional looking video and photos of the actual unit, maybe even a high-res users manual, that would truly set it apart.

To take off it would need to be heavily integrated with the forums here and the official openpandora.org and wiki, that is why I suggested he get together with the guys who are getting everything else ready, to make it a cohesive setup.

I don't need it kept a secret, I just need it to get cheaper and mass-produced. So any more sites would be great.

I am probably the wrong guy to be interested in all of this though, I would ride a uni-motorcycle if it was possible, I am a huge fan of minimalism and functionality.
If this is the case (drawing more attention to the GP32X website and making it all professional) then these forums and the main website needs to be redesigned. As much as it may seem easy to navigate it isn't all that user friendly. The colour scheme isn't all that great and it is loaded with text. The new releases for homebrew content needs to be on another page but still easy to find/navigate on the homepage. Add another section for the Pandora and divide the homepage into three parts, all GP32 information, GP2X information and Pandora information (all links). Handheld pictures are a must. If you visit the site and aren't exactly sure what the handheld is/looks like well the hub for the handhelds doesn't provide this.

Just have to remember that a lot of people aren't interested in going to a lot of trouble to find information, if it is too difficult they'll give up and move on. More interested people in open source and whatnot will look but the average person will not.

Basically, the website needs to be attractive yet informative.

What about a Pandora show? Could be audio or video, could be made monthly or weekly if there is enough news. People will watch a 5 minute video on Youtube without even thinking about it, but most don't like reading through forums.

A while back I tried to start a GP2X review site, but the flow of news was so up and down I couldn't manage it. Sometimes there would be no developments and other times there would be a huge amount. Thats why I think a monthly or weekly scheduled show would capture some attention from the masses.

JakeK said:
If this is the case (drawing more attention to the GP32X website and making it all professional) then these forums and the main website needs to be redesigned. As much as it may seem easy to navigate it isn't all that user friendly. The colour scheme isn't all that great and it is loaded with text. The new releases for homebrew content needs to be on another page but still easy to find/navigate on the homepage. Add another section for the Pandora and divide the homepage into three parts, all GP32 information, GP2X information and Pandora information (all links). Handheld pictures are a must. If you visit the site and aren't exactly sure what the handheld is/looks like well the hub for the handhelds doesn't provide this.

Just have to remember that a lot of people aren't interested in going to a lot of trouble to find information, if it is too difficult they'll give up and move on. More interested people in open source and whatnot will look but the average person will not.

Basically, the website needs to be attractive yet informative.
I totally agree, this isn't the first stop for newbs, but it is where the real stuff happens (well, aside from IRC), so I guess we need a flashy shiny website, I hope openpandora.org will turn into that (I am afraid technology is just to technical for average people though, that is why they call it technology.)

I don't know how to make this site better, I happen to love blue and reading, so I really like it. But your points are valid, I do find it hard to access homebrew, and it isn't all that pretty.

On the plus side the Documentation for the Pandora can finally include direct links to here (Something the GP2X never included with the machine.)

I wish there was a better alternative to GP32x, it's a shame that, it is the most popular GP2X site, yet it's owners/creators don't seem to care about updating the site and adding more content / fixing bugs etc... it's just left 'as is' with the only new content being news posts that are automatically pulled from the forum... god I hate this 'web 2.0' bullshit.

short version: The site needs a makeover and to be properly maintained and updated with actual new content.

Paradox said:
I wish there was a better alternative to GP32x, it's a shame that, it is the most popular GP2X site, yet it's owners/creators don't seem to care about updating the site and adding more content / fixing bugs etc... it's just left 'as is' with the only new content being news posts that are automatically pulled from the forum... god I hate this 'web 2.0' bullshit.

short version: The site needs a makeover and to be properly maintained and updated with actual new content.
Sure, I agree.

Edit: Thanks to Hando :) for the great community experience, I am sure that updates will come when the situation warrants it.

In the meanwhile, how about you all give a big thanks to Hando who not only founded this site, but also maintained and paid its hosting/domain fees ever since! It's so easy to mouth off on how this and that could be improved when you have zero obligation to actually follow through with your plans.

I like the idea of news being pulled from the forums. Not only do the people responsible for the news content get to post the news themselves, but it also makes the discussion easier to follow. There's no point to have a separate site section for the news, with comments separate from this forum.

The only improvement on the front page that I can suggest is removing the links to different sections of the forum, and instead adding a few static pages detailing what the GP32, GP2X, and Pandora are. Remember that this is a community oriented site, so anything that's not covered by the forum or the file archive belongs on the manufacturers' sites or on wikis.

Back