Let's move the moulds!

ED wrote:
My Idea:
You found a Way to upgrade Pandoras with this Cpu Boards?
Yay that would be fun too :D
I don't think that's too likely. I mean it's possible - the CPU board is a SoC including RAM so it can in theory be plugged into anything else, but you'd need to design an interface between them, which would take up space so no fit in the Pandora case, and the OS would need some rework - it's probably simpler to put the Pyra debian OS on there, and disable some of the drivers, but at the moment that's missing keyboard mappings, PND support, 3d drivers and plenty more.

and the GPD Win is not that great for Emulators

This probably isn't the best thread for this, but why is that? The form factor seems fine if a bit thin for some perhaps, and I've heard the controls are pretty good. I'd have thought Windows could handle some old emulators pretty well, better than Android with its latency problems at least. Perhaps finding the emulators is harder given for Pandora they're all in one place since the milkshake put up the repo website, while in Windows perhaps they're in the store (I've not checked) or you've got to pull random zip files down from websites and then virus check them. Or perhaps you find configuring them harder on Windows where maybe you have to find and edit .ini files to set directories up, but on Pandora there's usally some config file put in the appdata on first run, if there's isn't a gui to configure all this. But I'd be surprised if we've got config guis for some of our little emulators and windows hasn't (but I guess they haven't got picklelauncher, and a lot of our newer emulator menus come directly from android). I wouldn't class setting MAME up to find your ROMs as being particularly user friendly, but perhaps the community of people here are enough to speed you through that process.

Controls on the gpdwin are pretty good, through in my opinion Pandora's controls are generally better, through you can get bad trigger buttons if you're unlucky, and the gpdwin joysticks are undoubtedly better than the Pandora's one... If you want to play 16 bit era pc (no joysticks) the Pandora is better bit the GPDwin is already quite good for that...

Unlike on the Pandora where every emulator was configured for the Gaming Controlls as they where made for the Pandora, on the Win, you use the Windows Emulators that where made for every Windows Machine, so nothing is obtimized or pree configurate
So I ditnt had luck whit the PlayStation Emulator on the Win ,

Shure, Hardwarewise, the Win is pretty cool and works great for Windows Games but for Emulators, the Pandora is whey better..

When are you coming to Greece? Meetup in Thessaloniki?

the new case company sounds awesome! fingers crossed that the case of the case can be closed after the moulds arrived at their factory ._.'
also, i'm so looking forward to that "extra robust snes cartridge vs. evil dragon" video :D

This probably isn't the best thread for this, but why is that? The form factor seems fine if a bit thin for some perhaps, and I've heard the controls are pretty good. I'd have thought Windows could handle some old emulators pretty well, better than Android with its latency problems at least. Perhaps finding the emulators is harder given for Pandora they're all in one place since the milkshake put up the repo website, while in Windows perhaps they're in the store (I've not checked) or you've got to pull random zip files down from websites and then virus check them. Or perhaps you find configuring them harder on Windows where maybe you have to find and edit .ini files to set directories up, but on Pandora there's usally some config file put in the appdata on first run, if there's isn't a gui to configure all this.

Unlike on the Pandora where every emulator was configured for the Gaming Controlls as they where made for the Pandora, on the Win, you use the Windows Emulators that where made for every Windows Machine, so nothing is obtimized or pree configurate
So I ditnt had luck whit the PlayStation Emulator on the Win ,

Shure, Hardwarewise, the Win is pretty cool and works great for Windows Games but for Emulators, the Pandora is whey better..

Well, I barely turn on my Pandora since I have my GPD Win, which is about one year now. For emulation I use the Retroarch Cores, which already gives you a common interface for configuring your input. As GUI I use Emulation Station. Setting these will not take too much time and it is worth the while. Apart from Retroarch you can run a few GameCube games via Dolphin, try that on your Pandora. It is a really fine device, but of course like all of you I'm looking forward for my Pyra, which will rule Emulation when it's been out for one year. Till then, the WIN is quite a winner and lucky enough also my Nintendo Switch finally get's a reason for lying on my shelf since its release with games like Mario Odyssey, Doom and Skyrim being out/coming very soon.

the material is NOT a mixture of carbon with plastic, but rather glass fibre with plastic

Nice. From http://www.plasti-fab.com/top-5-reasons-to-use-frp/ :
Fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP) material is transparent to electromagnetic and radio frequency interference.​

I would suggest sticking an active Wi-Fi USB adapter into the SNES test case and observe the signal strength (compared to outside of the case), but in theory, it should be fine.

You've been warned : if I can't break my hammer with a Pyra, I'm gonna need a refund.
Forget that. I know the ultimate test for the Pyra cases.

Tom-on-WIB-Set-Promo-Pics-Small-Jun14-12-3.jpg

@EvilDragon Is there any chance this bigger better plastics company with great access to more & different materials can do transparent or translucent glow in the dark?

That is, after all, my dream 'color' for my prototype.

If not, then what about UV active so it goes nuts under blacklight?

ED wrote:
Regarding the already produced bare PCBs which would work fine with 2GB:
We have some plans what to do with them, but nothing is set in stone here, so I won't tell anything yet

My Idea:
You found a Way to upgrade Pandoras with this Cpu Boards?
Yay that would be fun too :D

how about a headless keyboardless console for home use? like the pandora's that were sold without screens?
you could still use the current mainboard but not need the keymat ..

@EvilDragon Is there any chance this bigger better plastics company with great access to more & different materials can do transparent or translucent glow in the dark?

That is, after all, my dream 'color' for my prototype.

If not, then what about UV active so it goes nuts under blacklight?
And dark red and dark grey for normal run (non-prototype) units?

how about a headless keyboardless console for home use? like the pandora's that were sold without screens?
you could still use the current mainboard but not need the keymat ..

Woohoot...
...Pyra Micro Computers for HDMI?

An Omap5 based Emulation HDMI Stick with preinstalled legaly Games?
..sound good for me :)

Back