Beta Lemmingsdl 0.9.7

Hmm in general the PND works fine, but still is not full-screen at start and full-screen also does not adjust resolution as well as still having the alignment bug, also the PXML file apparently still is missing a valid sub-category.

Not sure what's going wrong, but I suspect it's still not processing with the correct defines :S

EDIT: Oh wait, my last compiled version also does not adjust resolution on fullscreen, and I guess it's probably good that way so the nice sprites don't get messed up by the scaling.

foxblock said:
Hmm in general the PND works fine, but still is not full-screen at start and full-screen also does not adjust resolution as well as still having the alignment bug, also the PXML file apparently still is missing a valid sub-category.

Not sure what's going wrong, but I suspect it's still not processing with the correct defines :S

EDIT: Oh wait, my last compiled version also does not adjust resolution on fullscreen, and I guess it's probably good that way so the nice sprites don't get messed up by the scaling.

Arrghhh! Ahem. Right, Yes, that sounds like the problem but it's strange as in all the build output the parameter is being passed into gcc. well I'm working on the improved key layout now, so I'll give trying to actually build a Pandora specific binary a rest for now!

Feel free to build it yourself (and package it up) :) No, it would be seriously cool if you could do that, it would be nice to get some more feedback but I think Dunnys ideas about the controls will make it a much better game.

EDIT: As far as the fullscreen/resolution goes - it surely has to be better 'stretched', if not then more of the display shown, I need to adjust the resolution correctly for Pandora as well then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Foxblock has kindly provided a working 0.9.7 pnd file. It's up on my site (and the repo), if anyone wants to test it?
Though I expect 0.9.8 will be superior due to the control changes specifically for Pandora.

New PND tested and working just fine!

Played a few levels, without issues. Looking forward to new control methods and a way to save your progress :)

D.

Just tried 0.9.8.pnd -- Awesome!
Full screen, correct Icon, D-pad scrolling works well. Better than mouse scrolling

Touching is great, no offset issues at all. (even though the mouse pointer is hidden it does show the lemm that is 'under' the last tap.
Is that good or bad? I don't mind it ;) Not sure what happens after scolling

Dunny suggested A-B scrolling for lefties; how I hold my Panda L-R would work too.
There are some minor anim issues, (a nuked fall-splattered lemm stood up to explode)

Do you live near a Panda owner to see your creation in action?

Cheers for all the effort you've put into this.

gp32rich said:
Just tried 0.9.8.pnd -- Awesome!
Full screen, correct Icon, D-pad scrolling works well. Better than mouse scrolling

Touching is great, no offset issues at all. (even though the mouse pointer is hidden it does show the lemm that is 'under' the last tap.
Is that good or bad? I don't mind it ;) Not sure what happens after scolling

Dunny suggested A-B scrolling for lefties; how I hold my Panda L-R would work too.
There are some minor anim issues, (a nuked fall-splattered lemm stood up to explode)

Do you live near a Panda owner to see your creation in action?

Cheers for all the effort you've put into this.

Thanks for the feedback. No, I do not like the fact the cursor is only hidden and shows the state of the lemmings at the last cursor position - I will fix that for the next release.

I like A-B for 'lefties' but should it be optional or not? Is there a global pandora setting for left handedness?

Well, spotted with splatted/nuked, this is now noted!

I've implemented a progress saving facility already but I have an open question: Should I block access to further levels a la the Amiga? Currently, I just flag each level that is completed, so the user knows what he's done but still allow the user to go beyond any uncompleted level.

Another question, that someone might be able to answer: When I save gamesave data, I currently store it at $HOME/.LSDLgamesave, this works fine on my linux box but will it work with Pandora? If not, where should it be saved?

So, 3 questions:

1. Should access to later levels be restricted?
2. Where to put save data on Pandora?
3. should 'handedness' be switchable or is it just simpler to use both A/B and Left/Right?

Thanks for the help again everyone and hopefully I'll get 0.9.9 out this week with level saving and stuff!

m

Miner49er said:
1. Should access to later levels be restricted?

No - consider instead adding a "campaign mode" and a "practice mode" where in the former you start on one of the "sets" at level 1 of that set, and maybe practice could present a page-flipping list of levels (preview graphics of each level would be cool). Huge job though, especially as you don't have a Pandora to test on.

2. Where to put save data on Pandora?

Your PND's appdata folder is the only place you should put anything saved by the game.

3. should 'handedness' be switchable or is it just simpler to use both A/B and Left/Right?

I would keep as-is and use Shoulder L/Shoulder R as modifiers for "inspect a lemming" mode.

Oh, also scaling to 800x480 (care should be taken to scale touch input as well - a simple multiplication of the touch coords by 0.8 * X and 0.833 * Y would be sufficent, assuming an internal resolution of 640x400) - ask Notaz about that.

D.

To save safely for Pandora you just save to the working directory and the PND system puts it into appdata automatically.

e.g. if you tell it to save to "./saves" the PND will auto save this to "/media/MYSDCARD/pandora/appdata/LemmingsSDL/saves"

Back