Lemmingssdl (Networked)

Miner49er said:
Rotsiser Mho said:
So I figured out the issue with the latest SDL version. First, newer versions of sdl_mixer require a call to Mix_Init(flags). Second, the most recent sdl_mixer apparently uses a new DLL, mikmod.dll to play tracker files. When trying to load the .xm files, it returns the error: "Failure loading sampleinfo". So there's the slim chance that these are odd .xm files or the more likely scenario is that mikmod.dll is buggy.

Any thoughts? Or is this irrelevant with the coming Zombie onslaught? :)

Hey, that's brilliant! So, have you tried placing mikmod.dll in there? Does that fix it? Would a build using the latest SDL libraries work with older versions of the libs?

I have a bunch of mod file equaivilants somewhere of the in-game music, so I could try that (or you could and let me know!)

I still want to get this perfect as well as 'zombifying' the game, so this is still very usefull information.

In other news, I've almost perfected the selection mechanism (I think) plus I've cleaned some of the animations (they were jumping about a bit), it's looking very good, i'll upload a new version soon (maybe tonight)
Ha ha, thanks. Yeah, it's mikmod.dll that's spitting out that error. Don't know why. I too found some .MOD files that seem to work though (and actually sound a bit better to me!). So that should work! I might have some time tonight to post my small modifications to make it work.

I think it's great that you are striving for perfection! You've already done an excellent job!

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried this game in 64bit Gentoo and it works great! I had a "fall on blocker makes invincible" bug one time and the guy wouldn't go through the exit, but other then that it was a fully retro, bug free experience! Really wish for a fast forward tho, even if it's not as nostalgic. Targetting seemed to work pretty good, obviously when there's a ton bunched together targetting a single can't be precise, but it seemed to work like the amiga.

Awesome job on the remake!

- trix

I've released another (final?) version of LemmingsSDL

...I was gonna write a list of stuff I've fixed but it's just too many. It's _nearly_ perfect. I think it would hours upon hours to perfect it. But if there are any glarelingly obvious things that affect that gameplay more than anything (especially in two player mode) then please let me know.

cheers.

Edit: ignore that (again) for a while - I've fooked up the 2 player game :-(

Edit: okay, should be working again had to take something out :-(

It's a truly phenomenal effort and well appreciated by this die-hard amiga fan at least! :wub:

I can understand about the final few issues being totally ignorable and I can live with them too, but if you want to know what they are ... ;)

For now I'll just leave you with these two:

Although (and this may just be me, Vista & shit) this final version starts in full screen mode and after I read the scrolly text to the bat-shit insane ending :lol: I clicked on 1 player and it bombed out.
I started again, switch to windowed mode and click 1 player and it startes okay, but the status text goes crazy telling me about "level set nameFun" over and over and ..
I tried again, bombed from full screen, restarted from cmd to check any status messages and it carried on okay! :/

Still no level select menu/code :(

The timing seems to have changed. Builders build a little quicker, walkers walk faster

Three! .. leave you with these three!!
Sadly I have little experience with this type of project so can't offer any help maintaining the sources/feature hunting.

gp32rich said:
It's a truly phenomenal effort and well appreciated by this die-hard amiga fan at least! :wub:

I can understand about the final few issues being totally ignorable and I can live with them too, but if you want to know what they are ... ;)

For now I'll just leave you with these two:

Although (and this may just be me, Vista & shit) this final version starts in full screen mode and after I read the scrolly text to the bat-shit insane ending :lol: I clicked on 1 player and it bombed out.
I started again, switch to windowed mode and click 1 player and it startes okay, but the status text goes crazy telling me about "level set nameFun" over and over and ..
I tried again, bombed from full screen, restarted from cmd to check any status messages and it carried on okay! :/

Still no level select menu/code :(

The timing seems to have changed. Builders build a little quicker, walkers walk faster

Three! .. leave you with these three!!
Sadly I have little experience with this type of project so can't offer any help maintaining the sources/feature hunting.

Thanks for that. Bombing out? Damn, so close. Stability is an important issue! I WILL fix that one. What status text actually? On the in-game screen?

As for 'still' no level select: I was (and will soon) implement a automatic progress save (should be easy to do) but for now the following 'secret' keys might help:

1. On level select use Left-arrow/Right-arrow to select level
2. In game, use 'S' key to speed up (not like original, but hidden so I don't mind!)

Oh, and the speed of the game. It is quicker, I _thought_ that was closer to the amiga but havne't done a side-by-side test yet.

Thanks for testing :)

I want to spend some time using scratchbox to see if I can cross compile it to Nokia N900 next..

Oh and yes, please list any other issue - worth keeping around then I can fix them at my leisure :)

Hi,

I can't get the current version to run. I have 32-bit Win XP machine. The game appears to enter fullscreen mode, does nothing for some seconds, and then shuts down. If I run the game from a command line box, the last lines it prints are:

DONE! setting animations
loaded font image
loaded number image
created a new game
loaded font image
loaded number image

The older version from a week ago ran fine. It did not try to enter fullscreen if I remember correctly.

I'm the author of L++ by the way. :) I haven't seen a good, easy-to-use exact replica of Amiga Lemmings with two-player mode yet. From what I've seen last week, your game looks very promising to become one soon.

-- Simon

Simon N said:
Hi,

I can't get the current version to run. I have 32-bit Win XP machine. The game appears to enter fullscreen mode, does nothing for some seconds, and then shuts down. If I run the game from a command line box, the last line it prints is "loaded number image".

The older version from a week ago ran fine. It did not try to enter fullscreen if I remember correctly.

I'm the author of L++ by the way. :) I haven't seen a good, easy-to-use exact replica of Amiga Lemmings with two-player mode yet. From what I've seen last week, your game looks very promising to become one soon.

-- Simon

Hey, nice to 'meet' you. I checked out L++ a couple of weeks ago. Very nice indeed. How did you implement networking? I would love to know how you did it? I send a message EVERY frame, when a user clicks a Lemming, the message contains an index and action, then client/server deals with it. I thought this might be overkill but it seems to work and apparently so, over the internet.

What version of SDL are you using or are you using the DLLs I provide in my zip?
Maybe I should stop it from starting up in fullscreen but I really don't want to as the game doesn't really work properly in a window (difficult to scroll). It works okay in WINE and XP on my home machine.

Could you try in Linux please (I see you provide linux and windows version of L++)?
I wonder if I didn't provide the right data directory for the windows version?

EDIT: I've put another version of the Windows executable file with no fullscreen, if you could try this but I tested mine again on XP and it worked fine...

I use the DLLs from your archive, there aren't any with the same names inside Windows/System32.

Windows version with windowed-mode executable exits during startup similarly as the fullscreen version: A window is created and then closed again after the same output lines. So fullscreen isn't likely to be the issue. Fullscreen is probably the way to go for games like these, networked games take the player's full attention. :-D

The Linux version starts up nicely.

Will get to everything else later tonight!

-- Simon

Miner49er said:
gp32rich said:
the status text goes crazy telling me about "level set nameFun" over and over and ..
What status text actually? On the in-game screen?
while waiting on the level intro screen ,this is the actual text
Code:
vel set name Funlevel set name Funlevel set name Funlevel set name Funlevel set
name Funlevel set name Funlevel set name Funlevel set name Funlevel set name Fun
level set name Funlevel set name Funlevel set name Funlevel set name Funlevel se
t name Funlevel set name Funlevel set name Funlevel set name Funlevel set name F
unlevel set name Funlevel set name Funlevel set name Funlevel set name Funlevel
set name Funlevel set name Funlevel set name Funlevel set name FunClosing connec
tion
It stops as soon as the level starts and the Closing connection is from when the level ends

As for bombing out .. mostly when starting in fullscreen .. once when switched to windowed, not tried switching to & from
Could be a resource thing
..um .. using Vista

Miner49er said:
As for 'still' no level select: I was (and will soon) implement a automatic progress save (should be easy to do) but for now the following 'secret' keys might help:

1. On level select use Left-arrow/Right-arrow to select level
2. In game, use 'S' key to speed up (not like original, but hidden so I don't mind!)
Thanks for releasing that snippet! Should make playing easier - I mean TESTING!! :)

Miner49er said:
Oh, and the speed of the game. It is quicker, I _thought_ that was closer to the amiga but havne't done a side-by-side test yet.
I'm testing against WinUAE, so if there are timing issues ... pinch of salt may be required. My rule of thumb is that builders should be the same tempo as the music ;)
Fun level 6 is a good test - bombers and blockers. Yours get ~20% further along before going 'pop'. It felt right in the last version.

Miner49er said:
Thanks for testing :)
I wish I could get a job like this :p

Miner49er said:
Oh and yes, please list any other issue - worth keeping around then I can fix them at my leisure :)
Oh. go on then. The in game samples play too squeaky.

Cool, tested your next update. Overall control feels great.

Did some other tests in 2player mode, and noticed some things that will cause problems for people (not based on this release, this must have been something I didn't notice in previous releases, as i've been able to test 2player things)

The escape key if anyone should hit it, thinking itll just end the round, will drop the connection and in my cases just freeze the game right there.
Also, if anyone hits the letter 'p' for pause, or the pause button itself, this will desync the connection too. Such as
Computer 1 hits pause, computer 2 is still going and playing ( got my laptop next to me testing things )

Computer 1 everything is properly paused, but computer 2 I can build and do whatever, and it looks like both people are really playing as blue/ green lemmings are walking.

If I un-pause computer 1, any changes made from computer2 are not seen (the connection is obviously lost)

I think just disabling the escape button and the pause and 'p' button is what should be done here, quick and easy for you ( I think hehe )

----------
1 other thing, as there is no where to level select, people playing multiplayer will always start from lv-1 and likely never get to see through all 20 levels. Is there an easy solution for level select at least just in multiplayer mode that could be added ?

Thx !

RubiX said:

Thanks. Yeah, I think it's very nearly there in terms of control.

Did some other tests in 2player mode, and noticed some things that will cause problems for people (not based on this release, this must have been something I didn't notice in previous releases, as i've been able to test 2player things)

The escape key if anyone should hit it, thinking itll just end the round, will drop the connection and in my cases just freeze the game right there.
Also, if anyone hits the letter 'p' for pause, or the pause button itself, this will desync the connection too. Such as
Computer 1 hits pause, computer 2 is still going and playing ( got my laptop next to me testing things )

Computer 1 everything is properly paused, but computer 2 I can build and do whatever, and it looks like both people are really playing as blue/ green lemmings are walking.

If I un-pause computer 1, any changes made from computer2 are not seen (the connection is obviously lost)

I think just disabling the escape button and the pause and 'p' button is what should be done here, quick and easy for you ( I think hehe )

I cannot believe I missed the pause bug! Yep, I've disabled pause in multiplayer. I might add an option similar to the Nuke functionality where if both players pause the game then it will pause, same for unpause but don't know if it's worth it...

Escape really should have the 'nuke' functionality but for now I'll disabled it.

----------
1 other thing, as there is no where to level select, people playing multiplayer will always start from lv-1 and likely never get to see through all 20 levels. Is there an easy solution for level select at least just in multiplayer mode that could be added ?

Thx !

Yes, I have been thinking about this one. It should be simple enough, though will require a bit of though. leave it with me!

I've a couple of other fixes that I did over the weekend but I can't, for the life of me, remember what they were. Oh, I added the 'out' count in 2 player mode - I seemed to remember it could be quite entertaining killing a load of your opponents lemmings and causing their count to drop quickly!

I'll probably do another release tomorrow night :)

Thanks for your help!

Hey, we might even be able to play it on the Pandora in a few weeks!

Miner49er said:
RubiX said:

Thanks. Yeah, I think it's very nearly there in terms of control.

Hey, we might even be able to play it on the Pandora in a few weeks!

Im soooo stoked ! Green light gooooooooo! Pandora lemmings is going to be epic!

So guys, I have a lemmings channel going now on IRC, you should really try the l++ for huge multiplayer action with us. Though not same as originally 2player, its still great , it uses some extra abilities from the other games.

Come join us for some completly nutty fun hehe.

get a IRC client like mirc.
www.mirc.com (its useable without registering)

Server: irc.enterthegame.com
room: #lemmings

typing /server irc.enterthegame.com at the status screen will connect you, then typing
/join #lemmings would join the room.

Im going to keep my real IRC client connected and just stay online in that room always.
If you keep your computers on 24/7 do the same if you want, takes up nothing for bandwidth to sit in a chatroom.

RubiX said:
So guys, I have a lemmings channel going now on IRC, you should really try the l++ for huge multiplayer action with us. Though not same as originally 2player, its still great , it uses some extra abilities from the other games.

Come join us for some completly nutty fun hehe.

get a IRC client like mirc.
www.mirc.com (its useable without registering)

Server: irc.enterthegame.com
room: #lemmings

typing /server irc.enterthegame.com at the status screen will connect you, then typing
/join #lemmings would join the room.

Im going to keep my real IRC client connected and just stay online in that room always.
If you keep your computers on 24/7 do the same if you want, takes up nothing for bandwidth to sit in a chatroom.

Have to try that again tonight - it was empty when I checked.

The last time I've played lemmings maybe was 15 years ago. :lol: very nice to try it again, good memories come into my mind. Tested it onto my PC (Core 2 Quad, Vista 64 Bit), It crashed when I click on single player but with every compatibility mode Windows Vista offers, it runs (sometimes). But yes, its way to fast, I remember the orignal game was maybe at half the Speed it now has onto my PC. ^_^
And is the Aspect Ratio of the game here 16:10 or 4:3? The window mode seems to be straight 16:10 and Fullscreen I have black bars at top and bottom even onto my 16:10 TFT, looks a little bit strange but maybe there can be a "real" Full-Screen mode over the entire screen with no black bars. :)

fusion_power said:
The last time I've played lemmings maybe was 15 years ago. :lol: very nice to try it again, good memories come into my mind. Tested it onto my PC (Core 2 Quad, Vista 64 Bit), It crashed when I click on single player but with every compatibility mode Windows Vista offers, it runs (sometimes). But yes, its way to fast, I remember the orignal game was maybe at half the Speed it now has onto my PC. ^_^
And is the Aspect Ratio of the game here 16:10 or 4:3? The window mode seems to be straight 16:10 and Fullscreen I have black bars at top and bottom even onto my 16:10 TFT, looks a little bit strange but maybe there can be a "real" Full-Screen mode over the entire screen with no black bars. :)

Well, to be honest I havn't catered for anything other than 4:3. The game tries to set the screen resolution to 640x400. My monitor here at work won't do that so I end with a stretched (vertically) screen. I have now added command line parameters w h and fs. so at work if I pass "w 640 h 480 fs 1" (without quotes) then I get correct aspect ratio at fullscreen (this is on Vista 32Bit).

I don't do any screen stretching or anything to cater for higher resolution...yet.

I will put a new version up when I get home with a few extras (including the ability for server to set starting level in two player games!)

Would you give the downloads version numbers (or a date) so I can keep up to date?

Ooh! something else I just thought of ...

when the last lemm leaves the level, either by exiting or popping, you fade the level when anim starts. Amiga version waits till the anim ends.
A small thing, but you did ask for picky ;)

Can't stop playing it though B)

gp32rich said:
Would you give the downloads version numbers (or a date) so I can keep up to date?

I've dated the binary archives now :) I've also placed a version number on the scroller (I'm just going to increment it each time I release), I though 0.9 would be a good place to start seeing as it's soooo close to 100%

Here's a summary of what I've done (not neccesarily in this version)

DONE! fast forward button and a regular speed button ('s' key)
DONE! blow up metal
DONE! two player nuke
DONE! release rate 99 (like a snake)
DONE! oh no when pop
DONE! glitching home anim
NEARLY?! pick-axe lemmings don't leave a smooth hole-end
DONE! building turn around hit blocker
DONE! exits/entrance on thumbnail preview
DONE! The percentage calculation works again
DONE! There was a pause while 'lets go!' plays when the level started before lemms dropped
DONE! The numbers on the -+ should have a leading zero
DONE! adding abilities. If two lemms are under the mouse and one is already (for instance) a floater, clicking should set the other to
DONE! nuke should be a double click
DONE! transaprency artefacts on lowercase 'm' & 'n'
DONE! the preview thumbnail is a little distorted in the original (horiz compressed)

...and others but as usual I can't actually remember.

I tried adding ONML 2 player levels but that failed. I tried using LemmingsDS level converter to convert the ones from L++ to lds format but it failed. I should probably figure out how to load the regular levels.

I also, managed to get the (2 player) data transfer down to 1 byte per frame but noticed sometimes that each game was going out of sync. Not sure if this was the cause but removed it anyway. IF anyone wants to try it the code is there commented out. I was hoping the lower data transfer MIGHT reduce any lag but to be fair, it was 3.5K/s down to about 1.7K/S which most internet connections should have no problem with.

Anyway, PLEASE give it a go and if possible concentrate on 2 player.

I will try and get the 'level ending when last frame of anim stops' 'bug' as well!

Awesome work! :D

As you may guess I'm a single player purist (onanist?? ;) )
I'll try to get a two player game rocking soon, but never played it on the original either

Many, many thanks for putting up with the suggestions

Tried the latest Version. Looks fine again. I've found some minor things...maybe.
Here, Screenshot:
lemminginwall.png

You can get into a wall if you start building Stairs close to a wall and continue with this.

I've also noticed, that the "mouseover" over the Lemmings which usualy shows the type of Lemming doesn't work with the Stopper-Lemming (I think)

Game is still a little bit to fast (or I am to slow, could be :lol: )

Scrolling could be faster, maybe with Arrow-Key support onto the PC? So Mouse-Scrolling still works as it is and with additional left/right Arrow, it could scroll much faster.

Had the Original Lemmings also Scrolling within 1-Screen-Levels? Can't remember ^_^

Back