Lemmingssdl (Networked)

Miner49er

Website
www.lessermatters.co.uk
Hi there folks,

I've been working on a game for a few months now. Basically, I loved lemmings as a youth especially the two player aspect and though a networked version would be great and possibly great on the Pandora.
Anyway, I dunno how interested people are going to be in this but if anyone fancies giving it a go, let me know how you got on.

My goal is to get it as close to the Amiga version as possible.

get it here: http://lessermatters.homeunix.com/LemmingsSDL/

Cheers

m

PS. I know there are several bugs in it and some gameplay issues but please let me know any you find, tell what is rubbish about it as well. Eg. the IP entry screen is bad, very bad but it kinda works!

I've played up to level 5 and it has played flawlessly so far. Captures the feel of the Amiga original perfectly.

Look forward to playing it on the move. :)

Hmm, on level 11 I noticed that the lemmings retain all their abilities given on the level. I thought they lost their old abilities as they received a new one. Example: Once the lemming had bashed back through the stone he then climbed up the left hand wall and was able to float back down to safety, I'm sure the original was never that kind to lemmings.

Dave18 said:
Hmm, on level 11 I noticed that the lemmings retain all their abilities given on the level. I thought they lost their old abilities as they received a new one. Example: Once the lemming had bashed back through the stone he then climbed up the left hand wall and was able to float back down to safety, I'm sure the original was never that kind to lemmings.

Heh, no in the Amiga version of lemmings, floaters and climbers retain their abilities even if they are turned into a blocker and then released. Good observation though and it has reminded me to ensure that they come up as 'Athlete' when you hover over them. Cheers :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgotten how addictive this game is, on level 17 now.

It would make life easier if you could scroll the map using either right-click and drag or the cursor keys. Having to click on the mini-map takes too long and can cost lives. Can't remember what the Amiga version let you do.

Release Blockers? Can you do that? I always thought a Blockers fate involved a countdown from 5!

Dave18 said:
Forgotten how addictive this game is, on level 17 now.

It would make life easier if you could scroll the map using either right-click and drag or the cursor keys. Having to click on the mini-map takes too long and can cost lives. Can't remember what the Amiga version let you do.

Release Blockers? Can you do that? I always thought a Blockers fate involved a countdown from 5!

I forgot to say - you can press 'f' or F11 to go fullscreen. This way you can quickly scroll by holding down the right button and moving the mouse right over to the edge of the screen.

You can release blockers by digging underneath them. But these are all 'secrets' that are quite fun to discover when playing multiplayer! In fact there may be later levels that require this knowledge. I completed every level on the amiga but obviously haven't tested my re-implementation fully.

Thanks for testing it for me anyway :)

Rockstar or DMA design or Psygnosis or whoever made Lemmings are fiercely protective of it, they will come after you when they notice this.

They have done to other versions. Petty I know, but that seems to be the way they are about it.

craigix said:
Rockstar or DMA design or Psygnosis or whoever made Lemmings are fiercely protective of it, they will come after you when they notice this.

They have done to other versions. Petty I know, but that seems to be the way they are about it.

I did think about this but there are plenty of other versions about. There's even a version for the NintendoDS (I borrowed the level loading code from that one).

Maybe I should host it elsewhere.

I think Sony own it now.

If you think it's a problem being associated to the Pandora then feel free to delete the thread or whatever.

craigix said:

I did think about this but there are plenty of other versions about. There's even a version for the NintendoDS (I borrowed the level loading code from that one).

Maybe I should host it elsewhere.

I think Sony own it now.

If you think it will cause a being associated to the Pandora then feel free to delete the thread or whatever.

Edit: You've got me paranoid now Craig, cheers :-o. I've taken it down until my mind returns to normal :-/

craigix said:
Just alter it to be Penguins or something like that.

Yeah, I might do that - trouble is, it would end up looking rubbish...

Well, I got my mate to adjust them to look a bit like zombies - but you could still tell they were Lemmings.

I would've thought it would only increase interest in the Lemmings 'franchise' and perhaps get people to buy the new and improved version. Maybe I'm being naive. Everyone wants to spoil your fun nowadays :-(

Welllllll...
I had the idea to make a mini game for Nail's adventure where the Cannibal fetuses are playable in a lemming-type of gameplay... And i pretty much dropped the overall idea of making nail's adventure into a game.
The fetuses are pretty small and fast to animate.

We could figure something out if you want.
This would make your port a little more dirty though. 8)

Mr.Gonzo said:
Welllllll...
I had the idea to make a mini game for Nail's adventure where the Cannibal fetuses are playable in a lemming-type of gameplay... And i pretty much dropped the overall idea of making nail's adventure into a game.
The fetuses are pretty small and fast to animate.

We could figure something out if you want.
This would make your port a little more dirty though. 8)

Yep, I'm up for collaborating on this. My intention was to start work on a completely original game after finishing this though (not that it's 'finished' really - plenty of stuff to be done to it)

But yeah, if you have any graphics I can use then great. Title screen, icons, font...I'm fairly rubbish at creating graphics though.

Also, if you want to try and decipher the code for use in another game then also great! It is a bit of a hack but not too bad...in places!

Well i could make a few anims ( well the necessary )
Sound effects for the Abortos
The Bgs would be minimal tiles though, not full blown Pillars and stuff like in the original Lemming games as they take lots of god gamn time.
The best would be for someone else to do them ahah.

I could animate the Goal kinda thing too. Something like some buisness dude who gets covered with Hungry fetuses and start bleeding like crazy.
This would just be a few days work for me. It would give me something to do after work until im able to work on bigger projects.
I could even make a funky looping tune or two.

EDIT: Craig should be happy since they were Test Subjects for the developpement of Zombies.

Mr.Gonzo said:
The Bgs would be minimal tiles though, not full blown Pillars and stuff like in the original Lemming games as they take lots of god gamn time.

I could animate the Goal kinda thing too. Something like some buisness dude who gets covered with Hungry fetuses and start bleeding like crazy.
This would just be a few days work for me. It would give me something to do after work until im able to work on bigger projects.

That sounds great! I would love to stick some original graphics and music in there. It would pain me to lose the original graphics but I guess I'll just have to keep those for 'personal' use!

Maybe I should knock a level designer and implement an alternative level data structure...

craigix said:

I did a remake of Xmas Lemmings, complete with level editor about 10 years ago (including new additions including a fast forward button and water, which was not in the original Xmas Lemmings game) and I've never heard anything from anyone.

Sadly, it was DOS only (created with Div Games Studio) and was only ever hosted on Div Arena and my old websites, all of which are long dead. :(

your site 404's.

Posted to Wiki

Can't wait for my pandora now :( Zombies would be good, especially if they grunt like zombies when falling and stuff.

Miner49er said:
Mr.Gonzo said:

That sounds great! I would love to stick some original graphics and music in there. It would pain me to lose the original graphics but I guess I'll just have to keep those for 'personal' use!

Maybe I should knock a level designer and implement an alternative level data structure...

I say go for it. Genuine is the way to go!
It's even funner to appear on blogs like tigsource ,shit like that.

Back