Latest update: Keymats are here, how strong will the logo plate be - and pretty cases.

Looks good indeed.
It reminds me of the coating of a thinkpad.
I'm still curious about the available colors. I guess it will be very hard to decide on the color in the end.
Almost sounds like a Pyra for christmas. It would be TWO MONTHS from now anyways.

Matte black sure looks great. Can we expect matte blue or red?
Thanks for the news, the video format is great IMO.

i like both the matte black and shiny black. either is a huge improvement on the non-coated.

Yeah, painted for me too, especially if the anthracite colour is what I'd call a gunmetal colour.

I also have a hard time envisioning how the notification LEDs will look with a reflective plastic logo like that, but will wait until it's been assembled and tested and hopefully videoed in a future news video before complaining any.

Loving the custom logo and key mat layout possibility, and painted results! Prefer the chrome - or a(n) (off)white - but would be happy with the black. Very Batman-esque!

Reactions: rSl
I really didn't care about the cases/paint much but those mate painted cases look really gorgeous! Also I believe the current logo plate solution is a good compromise ATM.

I try to follow the progress but I am not sure what is the status of the case revisions/production/shipment. ED, can you tell us actual status of the cases, please?

Also is there any progress on the PCB production tests software? Those two were only pending issues I am aware of... The OS stuff too, but that is not a showstopper IMO and will be improved over time.

So when do you estimate the release to be? And will a blue case still be available?

Either way this looks really good. Painting it was a good idea and it's nice that you found a solution for the logo. Maybe not as nice as a metal logo, but it looks good nonetheless. Great work as usual.

The matte black does indeed look good, but I had a feeling that the coating was going to turn out well in the first place. Now that we have opened the door to coating, can we possibly have a better variety of choices? I'm still partial to a nice dark gray, as seen on this thumbdrive:

Ativa_8GB_-Executive_Flash__1.jpg

This color looks really nice on the renders: (Thanks @Neelix for making the image for me previously)

pyra_darkgreynoisy_black-png.28218

-God Ginrai

Yupp, the matte black case looks like I alwas imagined how the Pyra surface should look. Perfect. I wonder if such a look is even possible with the plastic itself, without paint. Ed mentioned that basicly all devices that look like this are painted.
Well, other thing of the video is: the rough edges of the logo plate trigger me hard but let#s hope the final versions are clean and have a better fitting. Still a very weird solution to put a illuminated logo into an case. Especialy now, that the cases will be painted anyways.

In favour of that chrome paint job fwiw, I rather like the idea of getting a chrome lid back for my unit, although I'm fine buying it and fitting it myself. I'd like matt paint for the screen surround, and the chrome might mess with getting full contrast from the keyboard backlighting, so basically everything else matt, but a nice shiny lid might be nice to show off from time to time.

Well, other thing of the video is: the rough edges of the logo plate trigger me hard but let#s hope the final versions are clean and have a better fitting. Still a very weird solution to put a illuminated logo into an case. Especialy now, that the cases will be painted anyways.
That example was one he cut out of a larger piece of sample material (as seen in the previous video) by hand - likely using that same box cutter he opened the keymats with.

The real ones will be laser cut (vinyl material won't need the wattage that metal would - adhesive will survive). They will be shaped just like the aluminum plates we've all seen so that the logo insert is held in place - just like the original plan was. It's a good solution. We will all like it. Well, almost all of us anyway.

Was wondering what that box on the bottom right with the "3" was... so I 壹号本 OH WAIT THERE IT IS
Gosh, it's hard finding chinese characters when you can't read chinese...

Back