Latest Keyboard Layout

I used to keep a chart of my key frequencies. When my computer rebooted it got killed and I hadn't saved it, but I'll see if I can dig it up again.

also /r/ link again to most accurate papakura model

Last edited by a moderator:
Consequence9: Where, how and from what source, you get the non-alphanumeric characters frequency? I'm just curious: I myself can't easily decide what to use as good sample for frequency analyze.

'PoisonedV' said:
I used to keep a chart of my key frequencies. When my computer rebooted it got killed and I hadn't saved it, but I'll see if I can dig it up again.

also /r/ link again to most accurate papakura model
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=44248&st=0

'Consequence9' said:
Having seen this there are a few changes I made that I should explain:
Brightness/Wifi - This location is good because they are not functions relative to typing & fill the 'dead-zone'. They also line up nicely with the center buttons.

TBH I don't see why these (along with F11 and F12) need to be on the bottom half of the keyboard at all. They would be best placed in the middle of the top row.

Like the work you've done, Consequence. I hope your accessibility map is taken on board.

People have different uses for the device and for me the @ is more important than the &.

I think there was a valid point in the other thread for the need of a keyboard Ctrl as it's equal to Shift in terms of usage as a secondary Shortcut key.

Ideally, I'd put the Function key on the left too but I understand the keyboard mapping debate could go on and on at this rate!!

'peca' said:
Consequence9: Where, how and from what source, you get the non-alphanumeric characters frequency? I'm just curious: I myself can't easily decide what to use as good sample for frequency analyze.
I used all of you of course! =D I couldn't decide either - If i used myself it would be unfair, so I took a random sampling of forum posts & just got a rough estimate. I used the site below:
CODE
http://www.characterfrequencyanalyzer.com/

'ste_167' said:
Like the work you've done, Consequence. I hope your accessibility map is taken on board.

TY =]
'ste_167' said:
People have different uses for the device and for me the @ is more important than the &.

Agreed. Lucky for you I put it in a pretty easy place to reach
'ste_167' said:
I think there was a valid point in the other thread for the need of a keyboard Ctrl as it's equal to Shift in terms of usage as a secondary Shortcut key.

Hmm, I dunno how well that would work. In order to use the majority of shortcut keys It would have to be positioned on the right, but there is no room for another modifier without pushing down the Fn key first. It's 3 button presses that way vs. only 2 the way it is now.
'ste_167' said:
Ideally, I'd put the Function key on the left too but I understand the keyboard mapping debate could go on and on at this rate!!
lol, I know, I did this partially out of being sick of talking about it.

Just a few other notes:
Most characters can be put into 3 categories: Frequently Used, Occasionally Used & Rarely Used. It's just a matter of properly distributing them. My frequencies are rough, but I think we can agree they all fit into these categories for the majority of us.

Everyone should keep in mind that no matter what design there is some compromises will have to be made because of the limited space, and that it's going to take getting used to no matter how it's laid out. A regular keyboard experience should not be expected, but we can still make it as good as possible ;P

Hmm, I dunno how well that would work. In order to use the majority of shortcut keys It would have to be positioned on the right, but there is no room for another modifier without pushing down the Fn key first. It's

I think I'd happily sacrifice the letter P for a Ctrl button. I'll not be doing much printing anyway! :p
Would have to start spelling my name with a 'v' though..

When I started looking at the latest layout, I got concerned about one little thing. It looks to me like Shift-Insert will be very hard to press or even impossible due to the 2 simultaneous keypresses limitation and this is pretty important combination as it serves as "Paste" in many shell terminals. I know that I use it far more than Ctrl-V for pasting, and I do a lot of copy-pasting when programming, lol.
Am I wrong?

'.Gogeta§§J4BR.' said:
do you guys like it? I think it's pretty nice.
generic english and a compose key is the way to go!
even though it has some weird stuff (like having ; : ? on the left), it's for the best as a thumb board: compare to other devices and you will see a lot of thinking has been done over this one. :)
what do you guys think?
I am a bit disappointed that the german umlaute have completely disappeared now, but on the other hand we need to get all required keys on the keyboard first - like all unix special characters needed on the commandline < > | / \ * # $ & ( ) ` ´ " ! % @ . , : ; { } [ ] - + ' ~ = , eg for cli, shell-programming or if you're into perl B)
As we then don't have any room left for country specific characters anyway (well, maybe exchange pound and yen), we can go with this (or a similar variant) from my point of view and scrap the idea of country specific keyboard layouts completely - so no more discussions ;)

Maybe with a separate compose key and using L and R we could come up with a good and easy concept to get many country specific characters - or switch to a different characterset (greek, russian etc.), but that is a software only thing so is not needed for agreeing on the keyboard layout for production.

I don't want to have the additional characters with modifiers (eg compose + L, R keys) printed on the keys, because then we'd end up with keys that have 4-6 characters printed on them (horrors). :angry:

Anyway, just my two cents B)

Regards,
Holger

ED has already said they'll make available a mat specifically for German so that's not a problem anymore.

I'm curious though, is < and > really more important thatn : and ;? that they'd be the shift keys rather than the FN keys?

Alpha2: I guess that Fn+: or Fn+; is more easy than shift+; or shift+: due to kays position. Fn is pressed by right thumb/finger and :/; by left one. It is IMHO more comfortable then press shift by left thumb/finger and then lift thumb, move it and press again by the same thumb another key.

'Alpha2' said:
ED has already said they'll make available a mat specifically for German so that's not a problem anymore.

I'm curious though, is < and > really more important thatn : and ;? that they'd be the shift keys rather than the FN keys?
Whenever I use the command line, I also need > and < for io-redirection to/from files. I also need ; for command separation or to end postgresql-commands. I agree that development should not be done using the pandora keyboard, but for smaller tasks I'd prefer to be able to type those things without many problems looking for those characters B)

Holger

'Alpha2' said:
I think you have it backwards there. In that position, it will be easier to press fn-, for : (right thumb - left thumb) than it is to press shift-, for < (left thumb (sticky), left thumb).

The other feature is that (for US standard layouts at least) this is consistent with shift behaviour of those keys.
(Whereas using fn is a departure from standard layouts regardless of placement.)

'RavenX' said:
When I started looking at the latest layout, I got concerned about one little thing. It looks to me like Shift-Insert will be very hard to press or even impossible due to the 2 simultaneous keypresses limitation and this is pretty important combination as it serves as "Paste" in many shell terminals. I know that I use it far more than Ctrl-V for pasting, and I do a lot of copy-pasting when programming, lol.
Am I wrong?
Sticky keys should take care of that, so you'd press Shift>Fn>Ins, same goes for other shortcuts, thanks to sticky it shouldn't be necessary to press them in tandem.

'Kagato' said:
'Alpha2' said:
I think you have it backwards there. In that position, it will be easier to press fn-, for : (right thumb - left thumb) than it is to press shift-, for < (left thumb (sticky), left thumb).

The other feature is that (for US standard layouts at least) this is consistent with shift behaviour of those keys.
(Whereas using fn is a departure from standard layouts regardless of placement.)

Actually the thing that got me was al this talk of sticky keys. I figured you'd simply tap the shift and the next key you press would be the shifted keypress and the same for the FN rather than holding anything down to hit the next key. I mean frankly I dont see why you'd ever really need to pres two buttons at one time with sticky keys, to be honest I dont even use the FN button on my keyboard so I'm not really familiar with how or why it's used because my laptop keyboard only show FN icons on the F keys.

I'm just going by experience as a general user who dosent code anything more than straight HTML and even that is something I havent done in a year. So for me I'm just thinking I use Colon and Semi colons more often than arrows but hey if it's functional for someone and it doesn't force me to have more typos than I already suffer from then whatev, I just want my pandora and I want it confortable for everyday use.

i hav deesinged a raely g;ood keyboard layout ,and II AM curentllly givin@g it a tr2yh. iT seem"s prettty sOLid. I"VE had nao prozblezms wit'h' it so fa r.

Steve

Back