Kurzinterview Mit Evildragon

BackAssward

So, I found this on one of the German blogs (thank you Pandora tool bar). It seems to be a short interview with Ed about the case. I've been told not to trust German-English web translations. Anyone feel their English and German language skills are strong enough to give it a go? I found it at [today.openpandora.org/?p=1306], there is a link to the source being [forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6893&start=75] but of course, I don't know German and can't tell if that is the original source. Anyway, text below:

‘Flyn’ aus dem deutschen Forum führte ein kleines,
aber vielleicht für den Einen oder Anderen interessantes
Interview mit EvilDragon.

Flyn: hi ED! ich wollte mal unaufdringlich fragen, welche kleinigkeit ihr beim cnc gehäuse fixen wollt, scheint ja schon etwas umfangreicher zu sein oder?
EvilDragon: Nein, ist nicht umfangreicher, wieso? Ein paar Löcher größer und ein paar Maße anpassen.

Flyn: löcher? damit sind wohl die späteren aussparungen für die anschlüsse gemeint oder?
EvilDragon: Nein, die passen, die haben einwandfrei gepasst. Die für Hinge, fürs Flachbandkabel, etc. So kleine Dinger, bei denen es auf 0,5mm ankommt

Flyn: aso jo aber nicht unwichtig das flachbandkabel scheint ja ziemlich empfindlich zu sein
EvilDragon: Nein, ist es eigentlich gar nicht. Aber meins hatte schon viel mitgemacht, durch Messe, etc. War ja nie fixiert…
Es hatte schon vorher Kalibrierungsprobleme (nach der GC hat es langsam mit angefangen und ist dann immer schlimmer geworden).
Aber die LCD hing ja auch lose mit dem Kabel an der Platine, das hat öfters Zug bekommen, und das sollten so Kabel ja eigentlich nicht.

Flyn: inwiefern hat sich eigentlich die kündigung deiner festanstellung auf deinen tagesablauf ausgewirkt? kannst du jetzt nachts mal durchschlafen weil du an der pandora jetzt mehr tagsüber basteln kannst?
EvilDragon: Nein, anders: Ich hab mehr zu tun . Nur werde ich jetzt von meiner ehemaligen Festanstellung gebucht.
Was heißt: Wenn ich sage, ich habe keine Zeit (z.B. wenn ich besonders viel für Pandora machen muss, oder die Auslieferung auf mich zukommt, oder Messen sind), dann muss ich nicht mehr Urlaub nehmen und hoffen, dass das klappt, sondern sage einfach, dass ich da nicht buchbar sind.
Weniger Arbeit habe ich dadurch nicht. Genausoviel wie vorher, nur flexibler. Und mehr ist es, weil ich ja den Shop ausbauen will

Flyn: schickt ihr zum hersteller nur die korrigierten maße des gehäuses, um gleich die gußform zu ordern oder lasst ihr vorsichtshalbern nochmal einen cnc fräsen?
EvilDragon: Weiß ich nicht, denke, ein CNC ist bereits in Arbeit.

Flyn: bekommt ihr devs dann auch noch mal alle ein cnc gehäuse? ich mein das verschlingt ja auch wieder geld das ihr im vorhinein nicht einkalkuliert haben konntet, da ihr das zum 1. mal macht.
EvilDragon: Nein, ich brauch auch keins mehr.

Last edited by a moderator:
'BackAssward' said:
So, I found this on one of the German blogs (thank you Pandora tool bar). It seems to be a short interview with Ed about the case. I've been told not to trust German-English web translations.
Yeah I saw it too and tried google translate... I LOLed so hard, it's impossible to understand.

Waiting for the translation...

My German used to be better :/

Really I roughly get most of it but I couldn't be able to make a good translation I guess. (not to mention that English isn't my mother tongue either)

BackAssward said:

'Flyn' aus dem deutschen Forum führte ein kleines,
aber vielleicht für den Einen oder Anderen interessantes
Interview mit EvilDragon.

Flyn: hi ED! ich wollte mal unaufdringlich fragen, welche kleinigkeit ihr beim cnc gehäuse fixen wollt, scheint ja schon etwas umfangreicher zu sein oder?
EvilDragon: Nein, ist nicht umfangreicher, wieso? Ein paar Löcher größer und ein paar Maße anpassen.

Flyn: löcher? damit sind wohl die späteren aussparungen für die anschlüsse gemeint oder?
EvilDragon: Nein, die passen, die haben einwandfrei gepasst. Die für Hinge, fürs Flachbandkabel, etc. So kleine Dinger, bei denen es auf 0,5mm ankommt

Flyn: aso jo aber nicht unwichtig das flachbandkabel scheint ja ziemlich empfindlich zu sein
EvilDragon: Nein, ist es eigentlich gar nicht. Aber meins hatte schon viel mitgemacht, durch Messe, etc. War ja nie fixiert…
Es hatte schon vorher Kalibrierungsprobleme (nach der GC hat es langsam mit angefangen und ist dann immer schlimmer geworden).
Aber die LCD hing ja auch lose mit dem Kabel an der Platine, das hat öfters Zug bekommen, und das sollten so Kabel ja eigentlich nicht.

Flyn: inwiefern hat sich eigentlich die kündigung deiner festanstellung auf deinen tagesablauf ausgewirkt? kannst du jetzt nachts mal durchschlafen weil du an der pandora jetzt mehr tagsüber basteln kannst?
EvilDragon: Nein, anders: Ich hab mehr zu tun . Nur werde ich jetzt von meiner ehemaligen Festanstellung gebucht.
Was heißt: Wenn ich sage, ich habe keine Zeit (z.B. wenn ich besonders viel für Pandora machen muss, oder die Auslieferung auf mich zukommt, oder Messen sind), dann muss ich nicht mehr Urlaub nehmen und hoffen, dass das klappt, sondern sage einfach, dass ich da nicht buchbar sind.
Weniger Arbeit habe ich dadurch nicht. Genausoviel wie vorher, nur flexibler. Und mehr ist es, weil ich ja den Shop ausbauen will

Flyn: schickt ihr zum hersteller nur die korrigierten maße des gehäuses, um gleich die gußform zu ordern oder lasst ihr vorsichtshalbern nochmal einen cnc fräsen?
EvilDragon: Weiß ich nicht, denke, ein CNC ist bereits in Arbeit.

Flyn: bekommt ihr devs dann auch noch mal alle ein cnc gehäuse? ich mein das verschlingt ja auch wieder geld das ihr im vorhinein nicht einkalkuliert haben konntet, da ihr das zum 1. mal macht.
EvilDragon: Nein, ich brauch auch keins mehr.

Free translation:

Free Translation said:
'Flyn' from the german forum made a small, but maybe interesting (for some of you), interview with EvilDragon:
Flyn: Hi ED! I'd like to start with asking you what the small problem with the CNC case was that you wanted to fix; it seems to have been quite extensive?
EvilDragon: Nah, isn't that extensive, why do you say that? We'll only make some of the holes larger and adjust some of the measurements.

Flyn: Holes? By that, you surely mean the later adjustments that were made for the connections?
EvilDragon:
No, they fit perfectly. The problem lies more with the hinge and the flat cable, etc. Small things like that, where 0.5mm matter.

Flyn: Ah, OK, but not unimportant, since the flat cable seems to be quite fragile.
ED: Nah, it really isn't. The one I had had to put through with quite a lot, at exhibitions etc. It was never attached, either. It already had some problems with the calibration (it started after the GC and grew worse). The LCD hung freely, aswell, and was pulled at frequently, and cables just aren't made for such things.

Flyn: To what degree has your tenure being changed changed your daily routine? Can you sleep at night now when you have more time for the Pandora at daytime?
ED: No, to the contrary: I have even more stuff to do. I get 'booked' by my old employers now, which means that when I don't have enough time (for example when I'm busy with the Pandora, or have to deal with the various deliveries, or have to attend to various conventions), then I don't have to take vacations any longer, but instead simply say that my employer cannot 'book' me. I don't have less work to do because of that. The situation looks the same as before, I just have more flexibility now. Actually, it's a bit more [things I have to do], since I want to expand the shop, aswell.

Flyn: Are you going to send the new measurements directly to the factory and order the moulds, or are you going to create another CNC?
ED: Don't know, I think that a new CNC already is in the making.

Flyn: Are all of you devs going to get another CNC case, then? I mean, all of this creates even more expenses that you couldn't have foreseen before, since you do this for the first time.
ED: No, and I don't even need another one.

So, there. :)

Sometimes terrible, sometimes free (keeping the meaning but losing the Deutsch) translation. Bits in [] are my comments. I will proofread it now so don't be surprised if some bits change.

-----------------

Flyn: Hi ED. I just wanted to ask, what where those minor changes you had to do on the case? Seems like they were a bit more extensive?
EvilDragon: No, nothing more extensive, why? A few more holes and a few different measurements.

Flyn: Holes? You mean the places for adapters and such?
EvilDragon: No, those fit perfectly. The holes for the hinge, the cables etc. Things where 0.5 mm matter.

Flyn: Ah yes, that flat cable seems very sensitive.
EvilDragon: No, actually it isn't. Mine just went through a lot because of the congress etc. It never was fixed [as in fixed on its place]. It had problems calibrating [I have no idea what is meant] (started after GC and went worse). But then the LCD was not fixed either and thus put some strain on said cable. That is not how it is meant to be.

Flyn: You changed [didn't quit entirely, see below] your day job, how did that affect your daily routine? Can you finally sleep at night because you work on the Pandora during the day?
EvilDragon: No, the other way around. I have more stuff to do. I now get booked instead of working full-time.
Meaning: If I got no time (eg if I have to do a lot for the Pandora or once the shipping starts or for congresses), I don't have to ask for a holiday anymore but can simply say that I am not available.
This does not mean I got less work to do. It's just as much as before just more flexible. Actually it is a bit more since I want to improve the shop.

Flyn: Do you order the final cast model from the manufacturer now (with the corrections) or will you get another CNC?
EvilDragon: I don't know, probably a CNC is in progress.

Flyn: Will you developers get new CNC cases once again? I mean, that would cost even more money that was not calculated before.
EvilDragon: Nope and it's not like I needed one.

Heh, we both did some things better and some worse. :p

He did not get fired for sure. ;)

Well, yeah, 'Kündigung' in this context doesn't really mean what Kündigung really means, now does it? Changed is a bit generic, since that's not really what he said, but what we interpret, but it's OK I guess.
German is a very interesting language :p

here's some rough translation of the relevant part. sorry, i was too lazy to translate the more private stuff about his job situation.

flyn: hi ED! just wanted to ask you about those little things that need to be fixed with the cnc case. looks like it's actually a bit more substantial?

ED: no, it's not, why? a few holes larger and some adjusted measures.

flyn:holes? you mean the ones for the external connectors?
ED: no, they fitted perfectly. it's the ones for the hinge, the ribon cable etc. small things where half a milimeter matters.

flyn: the ribbon cable seems to be rather fragile
ED: no, it's really not. but mine has been abused e.g. at the trade fare. it was never fixed. it did show callibration problems before (it started after the GC and got worse thereafter). but the lcd was connected with the board loosely through the cable, so there was often soem stress which the cable is not really designed for.

[snip some private stuff]

flyn: do you order the injection mold right away with the corrected case measures or will there be another prototype to be on the safe side?
ED: i don't know but i think a cnc is already being worked on.

flyn: so will the devs get another cnc case then? i mean it will be another major expense you didn't anticipate since it's your first project?
ED: no, i don't need another.

edit: oops, sorry. way too late. i should have guessed :)

Thanks guys. It doesn`t hurt to have two three translations. Helps people see where the nuances are in the original post. Cheers.

As for his Job, I believe he mentioned in either the blog or in the forums that he left one of his jobs (but still has another).

Wonder which translation will go to the unofficial blog :p

'lulzfish' said:
EvilDragon said:
We'll only make some of the holes larger
:huh:
The quote, coupled with your sig, is a pretty funny read:

"We'll only make some of the holes larger"

:huh:

"penises, man. :/"

"stop taking things out"