Just preordered...

bitibyte

Still Fresh
Hi folks,

first post. Just preordered that amazing machine. I'm really excited about that project, because it's the perfect gadget and it's the linux box I ever want. Many thanks to all the people which are involved and keep pushing the project.
The only thing which concerns me a little bit is the hinge think, because on my pandora it was not really convenient for me.
Anyway it's a linux dream come true.

Cheers to all.

The only thing which concerns me a little bit is the hinge think, because on my pandora it was not really convenient for me.

You should follow the news more closely before spreading false assumptions.
The friction will be added by a slightly oval curved hinge.
So when you move it, the plastic will cause a bit of friction. That's a lot more robust and durable than the paint on the Pandora!

This is still part of the tweaking though, so it couldn't be seen at GamesCom yet.

The Size is for me not realy a Problem.
The Pyra have near exact the Same Size as the old first GameBoy from Nintendo and many of us carried them in the Bags too @ that Times. :D

You can ever see the opposite Site.
The thinner the Handheld...the more Change to get it brocken when you accidently sitting on it.
A Tablet is mostly Broken then.
And the Pyra Plastic is this Time extremly Hard and stable..much more than the Pandora Plastic.

The Nubs are much more stable too and have a Button when you press them.
And when anyone say the Nubs felt not good on the Gamescom...thats because they are Prototypes.
EvilDragon had a Case Version where the Nubs feel very better :D

I think Booth Visitors who says the Pyra Prototyph isnt that good, ditnt got a CC Pandora that long thime as me..

To be preepare for the a bit bigger Pyra, i made a change in my EDC: Instead of carrying a Ipod Touch, an Note 2, and a Pandora, i got me a Iphone 6S, so i have a Ipod and a Telefon in one device.. :)

For me the bigger size is a plus because of my bigger hands. :cool: The whole device has so many advantages plus the cpu module.
It will be perfect but also I can live with some minor issues.
I like it that way, better than getting a Apple/Samsung with maybe a decent shell but more or less shitty closed system.

Not sure if this had come up before. My roommate has a 3DS and the screen hinge has 3 or 4 angles it clicks between 90 and 180 degrees.

Is this something that was considered or even possible. With things like the case color up in the air id assume there's time to at least consider it.

That's one of my few critiques of the Pandora. I either have to play with the screen folded out to flat or wait for it to fall flat if I do try to play it only partially opened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if this had come up before. My roommate has a 3DS and the screen hinge has 3 or 4 angles it clicks between 90 and 180 degrees.

Is this something that was considered or even possible. With things like the case color up in the air id assume there's time to at least consider it.

That's one of my few critiques of the Pandora. I either have to play with the screen folded out to flat or wait for it to fall flat if I do try to play it only partially opened.

Nintendo wouldn't allow them to do that, but the DS hinge will work in a Pyra, if you don't mind taking it apart and changing the hinge yourself.

Nintendo wouldn't allow them to do that, but the DS hinge will work in a Pyra, if you don't mind taking it apart and changing the hinge yourself.

Maybe just having it lock halfway between 90 and open? I'm sure there's a way to have a hinge that locks at an angle without it being a copyright issue.

But if I hear of any of my friend's DS being unplayable I wouldn't mind taking it apart and trying to fit the hinge to my future pyra!

yeah, i'll first try ED's increased friction countermeasures and then see if i'd want to upgrade to the DS hinge...

yeah, i'll first try ED's increased friction countermeasures and then see if i'd want to upgrade to the DS hinge...
Same here. If the friction is exactly right and every angle works well like on some notebooks, this would probably be the best solution. Let's wait and see. There's always the DS hinge as an alternative in the end.

Maybe just having it lock halfway between 90 and open? I'm sure there's a way to have a hinge that locks at an angle without it being a copyright issue.

Well, someone will have to produce it. Right now, the hinges for the pyra are from the same company that also produces the ds hinges - problem is, their multi-lock hinges are only sold to nintendo.

But as said, it's probably a good idea to just wait and see if you would need multi-lock at all after the improved friction solution.

Maybe just having it lock halfway between 90 and open?
No such lock exists. All off-the-shelf hinges lock about the same place. As mentioned, this particular one that was in the Pandora that will also be in the Pyra has the benefit of being compatible with the DS. I can't remember if it was the DS Phat or the DS Lite though, and whether it's been carried over to the 3DS or not.
I'm sure there's a way to have a hinge that locks at an angle without it being a copyright issue.
There's absolutely zero copyright issue. The issue is that the choice is either buy an already existing hinge that is available (the NDS hinge is not available, Nintendo won't sell it for commercial purposes) or make your own entirely from scratch which has a rather high cost point. ED has chosen the only viable compromise.

No such lock exists. All off-the-shelf hinges lock about the same place. As mentioned, this particular one that was in the Pandora that will also be in the Pyra has the benefit of being compatible with the DS. I can't remember if it was the DS Phat or the DS Lite though, and whether it's been carried over to the 3DS or not.

There's absolutely zero copyright issue. The issue is that the choice is either buy an already existing hinge that is available (the NDS hinge is not available, Nintendo won't sell it for commercial purposes) or make your own entirely from scratch which has a rather high cost point. ED has chosen the only viable compromise.

That clarifies a lot. Hopefully the improved friction will be enough. Thanks!

Back