Oh Dear, Scary Posts

G189 said:
Maybe, if someone asks a question, anyone who feels like helping could answer it and anyone who thinks the person hasn't done enough research etc. could just ignore it?

+1

I could live with that :)

KuroSaru said:
Either your both ignorant or just mis-understood what i ment, either is fine .... but hey maybe next time you quote what ive said hell you might even have somthing constructive to say.. but we live in hope ^^.

and gerd makes a point, being polite is needed because if most of us are rude and stuck up our own rear ends ...

Nice hypocrisy there in the form of passive aggressive flames. Just because you cannot accept other people opinions does not mean they are 'ignorant' or didnt understand you. Thinking what WoW has done to MMOs is not all good is a valid point of view, WoW is a monster, its done good things and some terrible things to the MMO genre. But thats getting off topic.

There is a difference between being polite and mothering. Telling someone to go do some research is good for them, it may show them that there are lots of help sites that they may not have known about.
They may even learn something!

Holding peoples hands and guiding them through every little problem does no one any good. After answering the same question 50 times people are more likley to just tell the person asking the questions WHAT to do, not HOW to fix it (the old copy/paste this into the terminal as apposed to telling them what/why it needs fixing).
It wastes time and most of the time no one learns anything because they dont have to.

I hope the openpandora people have a 'absolute beginner' section like the ubuntuforums where it is fine to ask questions that have not been asked before. If not things will nodoubt get tiresome.

Mech said:
KuroSaru said:
Either your both ignorant or just mis-understood what i ment, either is fine .... but hey maybe next time you quote what ive said hell you might even have somthing constructive to say.. but we live in hope ^^.

and gerd makes a point, being polite is needed because if most of us are rude and stuck up our own rear ends ...

Nice hypocrisy there in the form of passive aggressive flames. Just because you cannot accept other people opinions does not mean they are 'ignorant' or didnt understand you. Thinking what WoW has done to MMOs is not all good is a valid point of view, WoW is a monster, its done good things and some terrible things to the MMO genre. But thats getting off topic.

There is a difference between being polite and mothering. Telling someone to go do some research is good for them, it may show them that there are lots of help sites that they may not have known about.

Holding peoples hands and guiding them through every little problem does no one any good. After answering the same question 50 times people are more likley to just tell the person asking the questions WHAT to do, not HOW to fix it (the old copy/paste this into the terminal as apposed to telling them what/why it needs fixing).
It wastes time and most of the time no one learns anything because they dont have to.

I hope the openpandora people have a 'absolute beginner' section like the ubuntuforums where it is fine to ask questions that have not been asked before. If not things will nodoubt get tiresome.

The forums will have to deal with those problems, because the percentage of tech-savvy members will get lower and the number of noobs will rise. The ones not able to accomodate to that should do the others a favor and calm down a bit. I would like to see things start from scratch to see the Pandora develop to its full potential. And it is necessary to acquire new members.

Mech said:
Nice hypocrisy there in the form of passive aggressive flames. Just because you cannot accept other people opinions does not mean they are 'ignorant' or didnt understand you. ......
A little off-topic, one wasnt flame and two ill happily accept anyones opinions if they are willing to share it, allthough how some choose to go about doing this can leave alot to be desired and normaly leads to a greater miss understanding.

Mech said:

I do agree, if someone asks for help, it better for them to learn rather than just copy/paste, becuase who knows they might find what they learnt interesting and could spark futher interest. but we do need to be prepaired for the few who just wont be botherd to read and will end up flamming, but if we are lucky their wont be many.

as for the main purpose of this thread, they posts arnt to worrying really, you do have to take into consideration that all the lovly masses of information from the curently inactive (dead) forum is not easily accessable at the present moment.

Why is this argument still going on?

It seems that people have watched the videos of pandora running ubuntu and have gotten the idea that in order to use the pandora you will need some knowledge of linux. This is WRONG. NO KNOWLEDGE OF LINUX IS NECESSARY TO USE THE PANDORA.

People want to put ubuntu on pandora because they think it is neat and it's a nice way to show off the pandora. There are few other reasons for doing it. Any programs you will be able to use in ubuntu on pandora you will be most likely be able to run faster without it.

That is true. There is really no point in doing it, other than doing it just for the heck of it

I propose that we add the feature that was suggested at gp32x: a screen before you first post, with bright red flashing letters saying READ THIS and a semi hidden "continue" button. the stupid topics will start rolling in soon, theres quite a few already.

PoisonedV said:
I propose that we add the feature that was suggested at gp32x: a screen before you first post, with bright red flashing letters saying READ THIS and a semi hidden "continue" button. the stupid topics will start rolling in soon, theres quite a few already.
I second that. You could quite easily do it too. Make their member group default to noob, then if they have 1 post, make them promoted to member, where only noobs have access to that form that says read this. Or something.

gerd said:
The Mods could add a voting-feature to the forum for useful posts like on internettablettalk.com

I was just about to say the best forum I've ever seen that is user friendly to noobs is internettablettalk.com. People buy Nokia internet tablets that run Linux and have NEVER even heard of Linux. I never saw what the old Pandora forums look like, but an organized forum will cut down on noobs posting. And the forums on internettablettalk.com even have this search feature that searches for other post that have the same subject title as your post, as you type in your subject title of your post. So you can see if something similar has already been posted. Sweet tool that cuts back a lot of repost. Pandora's forum should be modeled off of internettablettalk.com IMHO.

A_Llama said:
Uh, the pandora will come with an enhanced version of gmenu, which will be extremely easy to use. No knowledge of linux is required to use the pandora.
A_Llama said:
Why is this argument still going on?

It seems that people have watched the videos of pandora running ubuntu and have gotten the idea that in order to use the pandora you will need some knowledge of linux. This is WRONG. NO KNOWLEDGE OF LINUX IS NECESSARY TO USE THE PANDORA.
Then why are you shouting?

As someone who does have knowledge of Linux, I feel slightly alienated by your insistance that no knowledge is necessary. The fact that you feel driven to the point of forgetting out to turn Caps Lock off makes me wonder if I'll be able to use any of my knowledge at all...

This discussion reminds me of a discussion tht happened on the Ubuntu Forums a while ago, about their policy there of explaining how to do something via the command line because it's a lot easier to explain how to do it that way than to explain where it is in the GUI. This led on to a discussion about the suitability of Ubuntu as a distro for people who don't want to use the command line at all. One person (I forget who) made a very informative post about the fact that there are better options for people who don't want to use it at all.

After reading that discussion, I was left with the following feeling: "Yes, I understand that some people don't want to use 'advanced' tools, such as the command line. But I do. So let me. Please?" And to me, your above comments feel like a very loud "no"...

No no, you've got the wrong idea. The topic creator was complaining about non-linux users who were buying the pandora, and I was showing why that was a ridiculous point of view. He then just completely ignored my post so I felt the need to use caps in order to get my point across.

Of course you will be able to put your linux knowledge to use on the pandora. Many of the members of the community are linux enthusiasts. That's why ubuntu was ported in the first place :)

That's the great thing about the pandora, there's no right or wrong way to use it. There are so many possibilities that i'm sure everyone will have slightly different uses for it :D

A_Llama said:
No no, you've got the wrong idea. The topic creator was complaining about non-linux users who were buying the pandora, and I was showing why that was a ridiculous point of view. He then just completely ignored my post so I felt the need to use caps in order to get my point across.

Of course you will be able to put your linux knowledge to use on the pandora. Many of the members of the community are linux enthusiasts. That's why ubuntu was ported in the first place :)

That's the great thing about the pandora, there's no right or wrong way to use it. There are so many possibilities that i'm sure everyone will have slightly different uses for it :D

I didnt ignore your post, read it, got what you were saying BUT STILL EXPECT PROBLEMS, teehee.

Your right in that this device will be a 'use it how you like' device but some threads still make me wonder about why people ordered when they seem so clueless (not even the most basic of research, like say, reading the wiki).

Will be looking forward to all the 'oh noes codexsz' & 'so i got the pandora but it hasnt got CE' posts 2 days after this thing ships :D

The idea of putting something pointing at FAQs at the start for new members is something admins/mods could look at. Hopefully it is possible.

On GP32X I often try to help new members, especially if they ask a good question or appear to have some knowledge. Those that do no research and just expect answers ought to expect to be pointed at the FAQs, wiki and sickies. Sometimes people respond with the politeness and respect that the poster displayed, ie an impolite, rude or obviously lazy post may well get a similar response. It is better to direct or even blunt than rude or impolite.

Back to the OP, I am actually a little more concerned about people who heard about it at the last minute and don't know it's limitations or truly realise it's size. Small might be beautiful but some people give the impression it is going to be used like a netbook.

I think this highlights the need - now that GP32x is back up - for those who are less tolerant of ignorant questions to go back to GP32x.

The openpandora forums should become the professional face of the Pandora, which means, in my opinion:
- They should be heavily moderated- No obscenities/trollish behavior.
- People with RTFM attitudes should be banned (here only, GP32x is a COMMUNITY site, and should be left as free as possible).
- The bugs/issues/tech questions forums should be moved to the top, and the general discussion should move toward the bottom.
- There should be no off topic discussion.
- a link to the the GP32x forums should be stickied here, with a disclaimer that it is a link to a community site.

I understand to RTFM mentality, but it will only DECREASE sales of the Pandora over time, and lead to negative impressions from those who may have jumped on the preorder based on the generic 'glowy' description given out by Craigxhttp://www.openpandora.org/. Whenever I lay down $300+, I am entitled to ask any stupid question. No one is compelled to answer...

actually, gp32x is filled with more idiotic questions. if youll notice, most users lashing out are old ones who have been dealing with the same shit for a year.

Back