Oh Dear, Scary Posts

It's OK, you guys are all noobs in the guys of GP32 and GP2X owners, and we tolerate you fine. :wink:

Once gp32x is back up, one of the mods there can make an "I need help" board for the Pandora. Threads asking for help should get moved there automatically. If you don't want to help someone, don't read that forum.

Common decency is just that...it shouldn't need spelling out in a damn FAQ.

Yes, I noticed that, which is why they should go back to GP32x and continue their discussions there.
Remember, before it went down last week, the Pandora site pointed the unwashed masses directly to GP32x. These new Pandora forums should be viewed as a firewall of sorts to keep the clueless out. I don't mind popping in here occasionally here to clarify things for users. No need subjecting those who can't handle silly/lazy posts to this sort of idiocracy though.

skipdutch said:
I think this highlights the need - now that GP32x is back up - for those who are less tolerant of ignorant questions to go back to GP32x.

The openpandora forums should become the professional face of the Pandora, which means, in my opinion:
- They should be heavily moderated- No obscenities/trollish behavior.
- People with RTFM attitudes should be banned (here only, GP32x is a COMMUNITY site, and should be left as free as possible).
- The bugs/issues/tech questions forums should be moved to the top, and the general discussion should move toward the bottom.
- There should be no off topic discussion.
- a link to the the GP32x forums should be stickied here, with a disclaimer that it is a link to a community site.

I understand to RTFM mentality, but it will only DECREASE sales of the Pandora over time, and lead to negative impressions from those who may have jumped on the preorder based on the generic 'glowy' description given out by Craigxhttp://www.openpandora.org/. Whenever I lay down $300+, I am entitled to ask any stupid question. No one is compelled to answer...
There's a difference between RTM and RTFM. It is normal business procedure to ask people to RTM before contacting support. The forums happen to provide volunteer support.

There's also a difference between asking dumb questions and people not bothering to find anything out because it is easier to ask the question and expect an answer. Some of the responses are to try and encourage reading up and to discourage wasting peoples time on stuff that has been clearly answered for everyone's benefit.

If you make a 'Ask dumb questions here' type forum/category then many people who know the answer aren't going to visit, so the questions will get posted in the main section.

Also, if you ban off topic discussion etc you could make a very dull forum. Knowledgeable people come to the forums in their 'free time'. If it's dull you're not encouraging visitors.
skipdutch said:
Yes, I noticed that, which is why they should go back to GP32x and continue their discussions there.
Remember, before it went down last week, the Pandora site pointed the unwashed masses directly to GP32x. These new Pandora forums should be viewed as a firewall of sorts to keep the clueless out. I don't mind popping in here occasionally here to clarify things for users. No need subjecting those who can't handle silly/lazy posts to this sort of idiocracy though.
Are you trolling? Or are you better than everyone else, telling people to go back. <_<

rokdcasbah said:
It's OK, you guys are all noobs in the guys of GP32 and GP2X owners, and we tolerate you fine. :wink:

Once gp32x is back up, one of the mods there can make an "I need help" board for the Pandora. Threads asking for help should get moved there automatically. If you don't want to help someone, don't read that forum.

Common decency is just that...it shouldn't need spelling out in a damn FAQ.
Were you referring to me?

All I can say is that from what I know about the Pandora, is that I definitely WONT be one of those 'Ono i dunt gt windowz vista on it' people.
I am looking forward to a sort of self rewarding system; the more you know, the more you can do.
I hate being restricted when it comes to console homebrew, and I will have no complaints; also, it's true that if someone doesn't know what Linux is, they should just get a DS or PSP.

PoisonedV said:
Were you referring to me?

Nobody in particular, but I definitely didn't have you in mind. I am reading my post now and it seems a little heavier than I meant it to be, it was really just a quick pot shot at the freshmen.

I have been around for years, and can't remember telling anyone to RTFM. Yet I saw lots of flaming on the gp32x Pandora boards by dudes who'd signed up within months of those getting flamed. It's not like people have to earn the right to say something, but it's a little silly when people act like they're some sort of guru because they got clued in a little earlier.

All in all, I think MartinStatic is right, by and large the people who are drawn to these devices are tinkerers. It keeps the SNR high enough. It's not gonna be perfect, especially in times like these where there's lots of excitement and little that's concrete to discuss. I think in general the problems creep in because it's hard to tell when people are joking based on type.

TaG said:
There's a difference between RTM and RTFM. It is normal business procedure to ask people to RTM before contacting support. The forums happen to provide volunteer support.

There's also a difference between asking dumb questions and people not bothering to find anything out because it is easier to ask the question and expect an answer. Some of the responses are to try and encourage reading up and to discourage wasting peoples time on stuff that has been clearly answered for everyone's benefit.
As is often the case, I don't think I made my distinction clear, sorry about that.

What I am suggesting is something like this fork in the forums link:

"Have a question/concern? Be sure to read the FAQ and if you can't get the answer you need, please visit our Official technical/help Forum." - links to here

"Want to get to know the thriving internet community behind the Pandora? Then be sure to visit where it all began - the GP32x forums." - links to GP32x.

In a community forum, sure, RTM should be expected. In an official company forum, usually not. The staff that attends it is paid to be courtious and treat every poster's question with respect. At most, a little nod in the right direction list "No, you cannot run Windows CE programs directly on the Pandora. This information is covered in the official FAQ(linked), as are likely many other questions you might have, please be sure to read through it to better understand your purchase." Will Craigix have paid staff maintain it? Probably not,but it can be maintained by volunteers from the GP32x community that aren't bothered by answering the same questions over and over again.

TaG said:
Are you trolling? Or are you better than everyone else, telling people to go back. <_<
No on either account. Again, its just my suggestion to help find a purpose for this new forum that popped up out of necessity. I don't see the value in having two community forums, because it WILL likely split that community over time. I Hope that helps explain my position. This is a critical time for the Pandora. Money has exchanged hands, and that money is being used to make these devices. These investors need to be treated with respect, if not, they legally can back out (not to mention blog/post Youtube rants) and that will have major repricussions on the Pandora community.
Again, sorry if I came off as elitist, It's just between the stress of the failing US economy and the rising price of arugula, I sometimes have trouble connecting with others.

I already fear that the pandora is becoming an elitest device.. I don't think craigx is releasing this device soley to start a homebrew version of "look how big my penis is" competition. fair enough if you want to keep new members out of a development forum or thread, but basing a community off a rude and closed network is only going to shorten a lifespan of a device as you miss out on key product lifecycle stages later on.

If people embrace the fact these people are joining in allbeit clueless about everything, they may be the people that will most likely (hopefully, being optimistic) be donating and supporting a development fund.

Theres alot of problem to sort out, but with a decent group of moderators and members we can help the new members, prevent stupid questions and maybe start a budding developer on the right path. its all sickly sweet stuff but its whats gotta happen when the device comes out, there is no avoiding it.
I think if anyone is saying that they "cannot get their pandoras to work" its because it hasn't been clearly documented enough for them to understand, which really isnt their fault.

As people have said maybe using one forum as a firewall to help the new members then allow them to filter in when their ready to a developers section/seperate forum. also discouraging senior members being blatently rude to an innocent post... (if it was in the right forum, and isnt a rude comment in the first place)

Anything we can do to get Craig his goldplated fishtank will be a good thing :p

I really have no idea what you are talking about. But I guess it doesn't really matter since this thread will get locked soon anyway.

Keep it simple:

Community = Different oppinions
Pandora = Small computer in handheld design

I bet the Pandora is laughing at us humans putting stories around it.

But to be objective, the Pandora meets my demands and if someone ask about things that are impossible just say no.

Dead simple.

i too am slightly baffled by the elitist thing. i mean... were the GPH consoles elitist? how can something unreleased be elitist? and if it is because the devs are doing a load of stuff on their own, remember all those other consoles come as a complete package. in fact, our devs acknowledge that should we want a different OS we are welcome to use or make our own. very strange. i think it will be more important to look at the community AFTER the product is released, rather than now.

It does happen to all devices. Take the iPhone for instance. I became a part of the iPhone community once I asked the question "Why can't I send pictures on my iPhone" I've spent months in it learning about the full potential of the iPhone.

Maybe that's why I bought the Pandora, I simply got bored of the iPhone and had nothing much to learn about it. But anyways, people will come flaming their asses off on the boards and of course, as a community, we have to help them. Make tutorials, vids, n00b guides, or just post simple answers etc. Eventually they'll pick themselves up and become the helpers instead of the helped.

Back