Please, More Delays!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dak

Still Fresh
I think it is in everyone best interest that this project be play tested and refined as much as possible. Its not like Microsoft or Apple is coming out with a similar gadget to compete. If Craig suddenly said the Pandora would come out six months from now and would be $200 more, I would gleefully wait for conceivably the greatest gadget ever. We must remember this project was started because all the other companies were "doing it wrong". Just the prospect that someone will do it right has me very excited. So please, everyone involved, take your time. The Pandora deserves it.

this project has been in the work for quite a while, and with it's release, the hardware has to be "perfect", not the software. And the hardware has been tested pretty well, I'm guessing

I disagree. Whilst neither Apple nor Microsoft are competing, the rest of the UMPC market is, especially the Archos range etc. £200 is already quite a big buy for me, and I'm probably going to miss the first batch because £200 is a lot to someone on minimum wage.

dak said:
If Craig suddenly said the Pandora would come out six months from now and would be $200 more, I would gleefully wait

No way in hell I'm waiting 6 months and paying almost twice as much.

If this thing isn't out by August, I'm jumping ship. There are plenty of other things that are coming out that will be just as good / better for the same price / cheaper. Nvidia is leading the pack with those. In 6 months, the Pandora won't be leading anything - it will be following. It might still be the only system with game controls - but, god, how hard is it to plug in a USB controller or buy and mod a PSP? If this isn't out by Sept. Waiting a year is not worth it. And, yeah, since the initial release dates were Feb / Mar of 08 - six months from the August-at-the-soonest release date now would make it over a year delayed.

At some point, you've got to stop tinkering and ship the damn thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
chad78 said:
If this thing isn't out by August, I'm jumping ship. There are plenty of other things that are coming out that will be just as good / better for the same price / cheaper. Nvidia is leading the pack with those. In 6 months, the Pandora won't be leading anything - it will be following. It might still be the only system with game controls - but, god, how hard is it to plug in a USB controller or buy and mod a PSP? If this isn't out by Sept. Waiting a year is not worth it. And, yeah, since the initial release dates were Feb / Mar of 08 - six months from the August-at-the-soonest release date now would make it over a year delayed.

At some point, you've got to stop tinkering and ship the damn thing.
Agreed x100. If this isn't out by August, no matter how great it is, it's iControlpad and iPod Touch for me.

And dak, what you're describing isn't a delay, it's vaporware.

Your wish of delays will more than likely be granted. Unless all the necessary parts aside from analog nubs are immediately available you will see more push backs. On a positive note, the longer the delays the more likely parts will fall in price. Has TI started mass producing the Pandora's OMAP processor or is it still under wraps?

dak said:
I think it is in everyone best interest that this project be play tested and refined as much as possible. Its not like Microsoft or Apple is coming out with a similar gadget to compete. If Craig suddenly said the Pandora would come out six months from now and would be $200 more, I would gleefully wait for conceivably the greatest gadget ever. We must remember this project was started because all the other companies were "doing it wrong". Just the prospect that someone will do it right has me very excited. So please, everyone involved, take your time. The Pandora deserves it.
Aha, competitors have arrived! Yeah, Pandora should be as powerful as quad sli of nvidia 280? and cost 10 times more. :) Do you work for Sony? Microsoft? Nvidia? Nokia - they must be preparing the n900.. Sorry.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Agreed x100. If this isn't out by August, no matter how great it is, it's iControlpad and iPod Touch for me.

Well if the iControlpad is handled like the Pandora expect delays. :D

DisgruntleElf said:

+1

Which is why, if I get something else - gaming won't even be a consideration. I might just buy another N800 at this point. Or if the N810 drops in price, maybe that.

I've got a conference in September, and I was really looking forward to showing off my Pandora - but I might just have to "show off" something else. An iPhone 3G, a N810, a Nvidia Tegra 650... Something.

(BTW - the Tegra is due out "We have designs in process and expect to see first products before the end of year." according to Nvidia - so it might not make it to my conference, either. But it you wait 6 more months, it will be a competitor.)

You know, I beat if they waited another 3 or 5 years - they could have a really powerful system.

Unfathomable Depths said:
How out of date will those thongs be though?
Unfathomable Depths had to bring swimwear into the conversation... goodness me.

dak said:
alright, you asked for it. Pandora release: June/July 3008

DisgruntleElf said:
CronoTriggerfan said:

But see, I've already got a Touch; on-screen controls and Fire Emblem/Advance Wars will hold me over 'till it comes out. :D

dak said:
I would gleefully wait for conceivably the greatest gadget ever.
Why not hjack the existing shipment of panda's instead?
Bring more C4 to CraigTek Labz. The security is not that tight :JCDenton:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back