Please, More Delays!

Status
Not open for further replies.
chad78 said:
First of all - if it was Sony, and they had promised a device to be released in Feb / Apr - which got pushed back to June / July - which got pushed back to August / Sept - which, (again, read the first post, which is what I'm responding to), got delayed for another 6 months.... If it were Sony, you can believe, I'd be on Digg, Engadget, my own blog, and possibly YouTube and other places, calling Sony out on it. In fact, if you care to google for my username and ps3 you might find evidence of that.
Sony also has their own fabrication facilities and has quite a bit more money than the Pandora project has... ;)

Secondly, my rightful exasperation was at the suggestion we delay it for more tweaking. To hell with tweaking. Get it working and get it out the door. I mean, within a week of "no major delays" we get "um... would you mind waiting if we got the best super awesome nubs in the universe?" YES! Yes I do mind. You can say that Craig never set a date all you want - just search the forums, read the Wiki, read openpandora.org's wayback machine - there have been plenty of dates set - and plenty of delays. I understand stuff comes up. I understand it's not easy mass producing an electronics device. Granted - but purposeful delays just to mess with it some more? No way in hell.

Heh... I'm getting a bit touchy about the people suggesting this (it's a troll, mind...) and I've got one of them coming my way anyhow. :D It's a troll, Chad... And you're feeding the loser. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
WhiteFalcon said:
If there is a delay, it has a reason and it seems to me that he is not the one to be blamed now.
You right! Why to blame reason when we can blame Craig :)

Dammit, we're all looking a little too eager to part with our cash as it is. Alot of people are saying "give us pandora now! We dont care about flaw
A or compromise B!" Those people are wankers, with no understanding of the cost of even starting a project like this, let alone getting to this stage.

Do it right the first time, f**k the opinions of the eager yet unaccountable fanbase.

chad78 said:
First of all - if it was Sony, and they had promised a device to be released in Feb / Apr - which got pushed back to June / July - which got pushed back to August / Sept - which, (again, read the first post, which is what I'm responding to), got delayed for another 6 months.... If it were Sony, you can believe, I'd be on Digg, Engadget, my own blog, and possibly YouTube and other places, calling Sony out on it. In fact, if you care to google for my username and ps3 you might find evidence of that.

Secondly, my rightful exasperation was at the suggestion we delay it for more tweaking. To hell with tweaking. Get it working and get it out the door. I mean, within a week of "no major delays" we get "um... would you mind waiting if we got the best super awesome nubs in the universe?" YES! Yes I do mind. You can say that Craig never set a date all you want - just search the forums, read the Wiki, read openpandora.org's wayback machine - there have been plenty of dates set - and plenty of delays. I understand stuff comes up. I understand it's not easy mass producing an electronics device. Granted - but purposeful delays just to mess with it some more? No way in hell.

As far as my "threat" - I said it wasn't a threat. I said, and still repeat, I know my one sale or not sale isn't going to matter either way. But it is simply a fact that I can't / won't wait forever for this thing. It's not because it's a guy in the community - it's because I have other things to do with my money. It's because things that I need this for are time sensitive. And that's not just a matter of "showing it off" - I mentioned that part because it's the part that might matter to the makers of the Pandora. Not that my glowing endorsement matters - but having a bunch of tech geeks - many of which with disposable income - finding out about your product is always a good thing. Heck - people pay thousands of dollars to have someone show off their products at these things. But I need it to use while I am attending lectures, classes, etc.. It's 12-hour long days of non-stop tech talk. I don't know of a laptop with a 12-hour lifespan while in full wifi use, do you? I certainly don't own one. But the Pandora has a 10-hour life span, right? And that's the minimum. So....

I've been ready to buy this thing since I first read about it.... months and months ago. No more delays. Ship it and I'll buy it.

Thanks.
I cannot say you are not right with the continual pushing of the release date, yet notice how the developers are trying to keep the price same not only when facing up difficulties (having to find a different source for some parts) but also when adding features. You can say any large company might do the say, but would it? And we are not talking about a large company here. It was interesting to watch the whole thing from the beginnings, when there were only ideas about a possibility of a community-built device. You are correct, it could have been sooner. It has not and it just happened. If the even you are talking about is that important, maybe Craig would like to get a Pandora there, but it simply is not possible, when they are stuck with missing parts. Repeating that there is an opportunity going to be missedd will not solve the situation, the developers can just sigh at most and forget. As far as I uderstood the news, they cannot do more than wait. So can we, if we do not decide to buy something else. It is not always about polishing, now it is more like about having all the necessary parts. I suppose you want Pandora for more that just his event so you may or may not end up buying it later.

In the meantime, lets enjoy the GP2X or GP32, at least those of us who have it :)

sold said:
Dammit, we're all looking a little too eager to part with our cash as it is. Alot of people are saying "give us pandora now! We dont care about flaw
A or compromise B!" Those people are wankers, with no understanding of the cost of even starting a project like this, let alone getting to this stage.

Do it right the first time, f**k the opinions of the eager yet unaccountable fanbase.
Maybe I would put it less harshly, but you have got the point :)

Can I just remind the people who are bitching about the release date being put back, that every time the dates been put back it's ended up with the machine getting better features for free. The first time the date got set back it was because TI were developing better/more powerful components, which is what will be included in the Pandora on release. The other time we got Bluetooth thrown in for free.

The original specs and release dates were only hopeful optimism and should never have been taken as gospel. As has already been stated in this thread, they don't have the resources to create everything them selves which means that they have to wait until companies are ready to do the work for them. If one company tells them they need to wait another month for their order to get processed, then there is very little that they can do about it.

This time it's down to another company and there's nothing that Craig and co. can do about that. If they had shipped the Pandora with the 1mm nubs, people wouldn't have been happy at all (the polls are proof of that).
They can't afford not to release the system this year so it will happen, but they can't afford to release it wrong either. They obviously want to get it out as much as you want to buy it but you can't blame them for wanting to make sure that the hardware is all good. They're a small team of people with limited resources and can't afford the hardware to be wrong.

Just chill out a bit and give them some space <_<

Chip said:
Stick a fork in this thread. It's done.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm B)

carved.jpg

There is no way we are releasing buggy hardware.

'When it's done'.

We said dev units for March/April. We met the deadline and there are dev units in the wild, and more were made in May.

We said June/July for the final machine, if it was not for the nub issue (out of our hands) and the damaged boards (again not our fault) we would have started preorders at the end of this month.

well now that there probably won't be a center click, could you consider the "rockers" mentioned in the other thread as l/r?

WhiteFalcon said:
chad78 said:
No way in hell I'm waiting 6 months and paying almost twice as much.

If this thing isn't out by August, I'm jumping ship. There are plenty of other things that are coming out that will be just as good / better for the same price / cheaper. Nvidia is leading the pack with those. In 6 months, the Pandora won't be leading anything - it will be following. It might still be the only system with game controls - but, god, how hard is it to plug in a USB controller or buy and mod a PSP? If this isn't out by Sept. Waiting a year is not worth it. And, yeah, since the initial release dates were Feb / Mar of 08 - six months from the August-at-the-soonest release date now would make it over a year delayed.

At some point, you've got to stop tinkering and ship the damn thing.
I doubt Craig would want to postpone the release just for the fun of it. If there is a delay, it has a reason and it seems to me that he is not the one to be blamed now. If it was Sony, you would act like a good boy and wait, but because it is a guy who has been part of this community, takes people's opinions into consideration and keeps us informed about the news, you feel the urge to show your "rightful exasperation". It is not like I would want to wait a day more than necessary and embrace the news of delays with joy, yet exclamations like "If it is not released by then, I will buy this and that and you will see Craig!" is childish and only a tongue sticked out is what you are missing at the moment (or maybe you are not). Either wait for the device to be published, as waiting and discussing is also part of the whole experience, or buy something else and be finally satisfied. Your threats/comments are not going to make the production faster anyway.

Hear Hear. *Applause*

craigix said:
There is no way we are releasing buggy hardware.

'When it's done'.

We said dev units for March/April. We met the deadline and there are dev units in the wild, and more were made in May.

We said June/July for the final machine, if it was not for the nub issue (out of our hands) and the damaged boards (again not our fault) we would have started preorders at the end of this month.
I think some of us *cough* chad78 *cough* need to know clearly that Craig, Chip and all do not owe you anything. That is the reality no matter what coin surplus you have burning a hole in your shorts. They said it might be released at such and such time, but unforeseen things have pushed that time further down and all delays have led to improved features(BT) and more time for work by devs on some fantastic emulators(playstation! and others undisclosed).

chad78 said:
As far as my "threat" - I said it wasn't a threat. I said, and still repeat, I know my one sale or not sale isn't going to matter either way. But it is simply a fact that I can't / won't wait forever for this thing. It's not because it's a guy in the community - it's because I have other things to do with my money. It's because things that I need this for are time sensitive. And that's not just a matter of "showing it off" - I mentioned that part because it's the part that might matter to the makers of the Pandora. Not that my glowing endorsement matters - but having a bunch of tech geeks - many of which with disposable income - finding out about your product is always a good thing. Heck - people pay thousands of dollars to have someone show off their products at these things. But I need it to use while I am attending lectures, classes, etc.. It's 12-hour long days of non-stop tech talk. I don't know of a laptop with a 12-hour lifespan while in full wifi use, do you? I certainly don't own one. But the Pandora has a 10-hour life span, right? And that's the minimum. So....

I've been ready to buy this thing since I first read about it.... months and months ago. No more delays. Ship it and I'll buy it.

Thanks.
FYI: A book will last longer than 12 hours. So will a pencil and notepad too. You could always dance on stage like Jon Heder in Napoleon Dynamite if the geeks must see something. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back