Release Jazz Jackrabbit 2

Well, I encountered another problem that prevents me from progressing any further.  I got stuck, and I mean literally stuck.  The rabbit just hangs/floats in the air between the brick wall.  I've attached the saves here for your debugging when you feel like debugging :) .  Save #4 in the game is where I got stuck.  You can load up save #3 and try to go to the place where I got stuck in #4.

jazz2saves.zip

Attachments

• jazz2saves.zip
    58.9 KB · Views: 302
Last edited by a moderator:
I've uploaded an update.

Warning: the save format has changed, loading old saves will crash the game. However it's "correct" now, should be stable on all pandoras and matches the PC.

- added a launcher with some options. If you don't want to change anything, just press enter or space to launch the game.

- added an optional hack to make scrolling smoother
- added an optional hack to slow the game from 70 updates/second to 60. This will match the LCD and make movements smooth, but slow down the game ~15%
- fixed crash handler getting stuck in infinite loop
- fixed random save corruption, saves are now compatible with PC. However saves from older version will not work and crash the game.

- some wine optimizations and speedhacks. Wineserver is now using ~1% of CPU instead of ~10% before.
- fixed occasional black screen on hitting alt+enter

Well, I encountered another problem that prevents me from progressing any further.
You'll have to redo it for the new save format, sorry.

Would this work with "Jazz Jackrabbit 2 - Christmas Chronicles" too? or just with normal JJ2. i have both and it would be nice to have them both run on Pandy.
I guess it would have to be recompiled separately, right now I only have the original.

I take it changing the refresh rate to 70Hz is not possible? How about 35Hz?

I take it changing the refresh rate to 70Hz is not possible? How about 35Hz?
You mean of the LCD panel itself?It might be possible, but this would need a firmware update and who knows if it'd work on all different panel variations that ED has been getting over the years and used on pandoras. I'd prefer to avoid it.

I've uploaded an update.

Warning: the save format has changed, loading old saves will crash the game. However it's "correct" now, should be stable on all pandoras and matches the PC.

- added a launcher with some options. If you don't want to change anything, just press enter or space to launch the game.

- added an optional hack to make scrolling smoother

- added an optional hack to slow the game from 70 updates/second to 60. This will match the LCD and make movements smooth, but slow down the game ~15%

- fixed crash handler getting stuck in infinite loop

- fixed random save corruption, saves are now compatible with PC. However saves from older version will not work and crash the game.

- some wine optimizations and speedhacks. Wineserver is now using ~1% of CPU instead of ~10% before.
- fixed occasional black screen on hitting alt+enter

Well, I encountered another problem that prevents me from progressing any further.
You'll have to redo it for the new save format, sorry.
Thank you so much.  I'll give it a go and report here.

For some reason I like this game, so another update is on the repo.

changes in r3:

- added optional fullscreen scaling

- wine: some NEON optimizations in DirectSound mixer

- wine: audio latency reduced yet more

With these optimizations most (but still not all) sources of occasional stuttering are eliminated. The game now plays better on CC units too, but you have to disable dynamic lighting for the game to be smooth on CC.

I've also uploaded the shareware version:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=package.jazz2sw

unless you really don't like platformers, I highly recommend to try this game.

Thanks notaz!!

I also generally like platforms and this game...and your great work too :)

Do you have time for another "almost impossible" port ? or you are full time now on the Pyra ?

Just curious.

Thanks a lot notaz! This game is just awesome.

Do you have time for another "almost impossible" port ? or you are full time now on the Pyra ?

Just curious.
Probably, but not too soon (nothing is started yet).
Can this same fullscreen trick be easily implemented for Starcraft and Diablo?
They need additional work to adjust touchscreen inputs, so not easily.Diablo also has a few bugs reported that need to be fixed.

I do plan to do it but don't know when. Right now I have to deal with some severe sinusitis and all the headaches it causes.

Thanks a lot, I have great memories of this game, I'll have to try again and see if it's as good as I remember...

Hi again,

I couldn't get Jazz Jackrabbit 2 "The Secret Files" 1.24 from GOG to run on the Pandora:

"The animation library file 'Anims.j2a' is incomplete, corrupt or of an unknown version.

@notaz : could you please have a look ? I can gift you the GOG version if you don't already have it :) (just PM me your e-mail address)

Cheers, Magic Sam
[doublepost=1512326981,1512315798][/doublepost]Hi again,

I compiled a fresh OpenJazz build this afternoon with @ptitSeb 's Code::Blocks. I'll push it to the Repo as soon as the PND is ready :)

Cheers, Magic Sam

Looking back at the time when this game was released.
I know that maybe Notaz is very busy with real life and other things....but how i miss the static recompiled work that he done in the past years.
Hope that this game won't be the last one released on Pandora.

Reactions: ___
Hi again,

I couldn't get Jazz Jackrabbit 2 "The Secret Files" 1.24 from GOG to run on the Pandora:

"The animation library file 'Anims.j2a' is incomplete, corrupt or of an unknown version.

@notaz : could you please have a look ? I can gift you the GOG version if you don't already have it :) (just PM me your e-mail address)
Well I guess they changed the formats in 1.24, which means the exe needs to be recompiled from scratch. Unfortunately this method requires way too much manual labor (and time as a result) so it's real hard to find the motivation for another such project.

Back