It's Alive!

Oh, the one picture of the RAM looked like a PoP, that's why I was confused. :-||""  Well, then they can't send complete PoPs of course if the OMAP5 Isn't even a PoP. :D

CM2BNT_WIAEGHaG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. Isn't that a bit big for a "portable" console?

Why not use the good old Hotglue?? Or Ducktape..
Pretty sure Ducktape won't much resemble duck tape after it's been through a liquid solder bath.  Hot glue might work, although I'm not sure what happens when you heat up hot glue again.  But some sort of adhesive solution is commonly used in flow soldering, I think.  Maybe it's Kingu's epoxy, as that can harden pretty quickly and uses a chemical fixer rather than heat to set, but I honestly don't know.

*hides face* My Tapwave Zodiac still works cause I opened it up, jammed the cardboard from a pack of matches behind the cpu (or maybe gpu, can't remember... one got too hot and would melt the cold solder they used and pull away, so a little extra pressure kept it in contact and helped it solder itself back together, talk about RROD towel hacks...)

Its small things like this that make a difference, love infos. The pyra is a ride, and you are always on it. Other things just launch out of nowhere, into a rather steep downhill.

Its small things like this that make a difference, love infos. The pyra is a ride, and you are always on it. Other things just launch out of nowhere, into a rather steep downhill.
However the transparency seems to be a double edge sword based on occasional complaints about the price and "outdated" specs.

ED, thanks for all the recent info.  It keeps me interested.  I also like that you ask us about some things, and we get to be involved.

However the transparency seems to be a double edge sword based on occasional complaints about the price and "outdated" specs.
Complaints about price and specs are not unique to transparent projects. The interesting part is that in transparent projects like this one it might educate people a bit about how the world works. That's not a bad thing.

Complaints about price and specs are not unique to transparent projects. The interesting part is that in transparent projects like this one it might educate people a bit about how the world works. That's not a bad thing.
I have always appreciated a peek behind the curtain, and with small projects like this it does exactly what you said for me.  An extra little thing is I value the individual choices that were made leading to the finished product a lot more (consider all the compromises and using what is available for the Pyra, where some things would seem like a poor choice to some people if those traits were found in most other devices...and even with all the things someone might dislike, there were many choices made to prevent the Pyra from having a short life by allowing for future upgrades and repairs/replacement).  Even when things like the Pandora or Pyra are mass produced there is a lot more attention to little things that are missing with a large company and nearly unlimited funds.  I know it sounds a bit silly, but doing things the "old way" is wonderful, and I would rather have something that is good that I can mod or mess around with than something thaat is great but that was designed to be disposable while still the price the Pyra will be.

Of course this doesn't just apply to the Pyra and such, or even just to electronic devices.  I love knowing where my things came from, and the story behind them.

ED, thanks for all the recent info.  It keeps me interested.  I also like that you ask us about some things, and we get to be involved.
"Truth" is always like that. Non transparency is way way worse.

Errmm..l. that's a piece of metal that has to be laser-cutted especially for the PCBs (with the appropriate holes, etc.) That doesn't happen within a day at a weekend ;)

Back