It could be we're there!

At least the community can make a conscious decision about where and if a Tantalum capacitor is used, very nice.

Half the world is wearing gold which is the biggest conflict material of all and no one can tell where theirs comes from...
Maybe we shouldn't be too hung up on this, it would be a tad hypocrite, especially if you have Apple and Samsung electronics at home too. (I do)
I know even little bits help too but I doubt 1000 Pyra's will fuel the war in Congo.
I think a lot of CPU's have gold in them for connecting the chip to the pins in the package, don't know about the Pyra one.

I think a lot of CPU's have gold in them for connecting the chip to the pins in the package, don't know about the Pyra one.
Lots(all) of dies use gold for pads but aren't the connections frequently done using aluminium ?

Lots(all) of dies use gold for pads but aren't the connections frequently done using aluminium ?
Yes. But they can't handle the heat cycles that well.
Thats why mostly low cost chips useing aluminium bond wires.

I have designed a custom cutout for the heatpipes so we can use two heatsinks (one below each USB port).

That won't increase the costs, doesn't need any preparation time (as laser-cutting the material out of the sheets is nothing special) and should vastly improve the cooling as well.

I'm Sorry to say this.
But it's not that easy to find a company that will cut copper with laser.

There are two main reasons why:
The vapour of laser cut copper isn’t quite healthy.
The laser light could be reflected by molten copper and damage the optics.

The usual way to cut copper, brass, bronze and other copper alloys is water jet cutting or punching.

I'm Sorry to say this.
But it's not that easy to find a company that will cut copper with laser.

There are two main reasons why:
The vapour of laser cut copper isn’t quite healthy.
The laser light could be reflected by molten copper and damage the optics.

The usual way to cut copper, brass, bronze and other copper alloys is water jet cutting or punching.
It's not copper. It's some sort of pre-glued foam that has good thermal properties. Something like that: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...nterface-Pad-5519?N=5002385+3294001841&rt=rud

On the last video, the heat pipe was made of copper.
Compared to copper heat conductive silicone is quite bad at transfering heat

It looks like the heat dissipation traces go over just about all the chips of the CPU board, doesn't that mean the sinks will accumulate more heat and saturate faster than with just the CPU connected? Also, do the other chips heat up with CPU stress only or are they warm constantly? I'm not so sure it's wise to have all of them combined in one system...

So many questions, sorry :)

Tantalum and electrolytic capacitors do not have this capacitance drop as a function of voltage, but they have their own problems.

What's the reason to not use the electrolytic ones? They should have the best ratio of volume to capacity so they should fit (actually, when I was a kid, they were the only capacitors with so HUGE capacity like 100 µF...)

Electrolytic ones are the worst when it comes to aging...

Wow, it's much more complex then I thought. More complex then the initial straight band anyway.

Well, it just looks a lot more complex. It only add two things:
1. It covers the remaining chips
2. It splits up on the USB port so we can put two heatsinks there.

Apart from those additions, it's exactly the same.

It's not copper. It's some sort of pre-glued foam that has good thermal properties. Something like that: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...nterface-Pad-5519?N=5002385+3294001841&rt=rud

It is indeed copper with a coating:
https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/...21767?mpart=PH3-50.8-12.7-0.21-1A&vendor=1168

It's 0,2mm in size. But you can get it precut - and even though I don't know if they're laser-cutting it or use traditional methods, I don't really care (as long as I get it cut ;))

It looks like the heat dissipation traces go over just about all the chips of the CPU board, doesn't that mean the sinks will accumulate more heat and saturate faster than with just the CPU connected? Also, do the other chips heat up with CPU stress only or are they warm constantly? I'm not so sure it's wise to have all of them combined in one system...
So many questions, sorry :)

It shouldn't, as the heat will always move where it's coldest - and that would be the heatsink.

But that's why it's good we have Juliano who can simulate that for us upfront :D

t0228.gif
2 More Months™ then!
t0228.gif

It shouldn't, as the heat will always move where it's coldest - and that would be the heatsink.
I wasn't actually thinking about the heat looping back to the other chips per-say, more about the sinks saturating faster because it also accumulates the heat from the other chips, causing the CPU to throttle faster than without the added heat from the other chips.

Back