Is Everything On Track For Early April Production?

Sphinxter said:
You'll be glad they held up production If the wifi fix requires a change to the board design that alters it's dimensions and requires a matching alteration to the case mould. One never knows where this sort of problem may lead.

There is that, and I admit I considered it, but:

1.I think ED would hang himself, or at least Craig, if they had to change the design of the case molds...

2. I'm not sure that *I* have complained that I wanted the cases shipped, but as the question was posed as to why anyone would want it, that pretty obvious answer seemed to need stating. I was certainly trying to answer the question rather than argue FOR that approach/solution.

As is often the case, there's valid points in each direction. As is also often the case, the chances of a rational discussion on the topic is minimal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Monk said:
mali said:
Mithrildor said:
So the first 700 arrived?
_Arranging_ shipping ;)

Yes - arranging shipping = not arrived, not in transit, not left yet! but paperwork to start that ball rolling is in hand.

With the ()s it looks like Arranging the boards like he has them. Soz my fault

Mithrildor said:
With the ()s it looks like Arranging the boards like he has them. Soz my fault

no worries. Delightful to encounter a polite post though - too many angst-ridden posts on the boards again :(

piss off, wise guy

Fake Edit: I guess april 1st was too good to be true... 2 more weeks (tm) for shipping

damn, april 1st is out of window, alot of people are getting heated, having waited so long (nearly 2 years now - well since the conception discussions) people are bound to get upset

There will be some like me who wont mind wifi as I use 3G dongles, others who dont care and want pandora as games console, others who do want it,etc.

We all knew there have been issues with wifi for a while - it would have been more prudent to get people who have a background in field such as exophase to join the party and help - we just assumed it was all driver related.

I suppose a few more weeks as long as everything works should be okay.

I'm curious to know what possible scenarios OP is looking at in the case where a hardware issue has been identified, and some Pandoras have already been shipped.

I wouldn't mind having to ship mine back for a board replacement. Even if it's a few quid. I realize OP may have to take a financial hit to replace Pandora boards, or sell the WiFi-deficient Pandoras at a cheaper price. So I'd be willing to help out and pay a bit extra for mine to be upgraded with a WiFi fix (within reason). If the upgrade is considered user-feasible (since the LCD cable would already be threaded through the hinge) I'd be up for that as well, as long as the cable-to-board connector isn't too finicky.

Any other opinions?

Indeed. Ship the damn consoles and do it yesterday.
The compititions is closing in and we are ALL sick of the wait.
Dont read this as a treat, but as a personal note;)

i just want my damn pandora, and knowing that there is more delay again, for only the first 1000, kills me, because 3/4th of all people who preordered after the first 1000 will even have more delay. This whole damn project is delay.
No im not cancelling now, but im holding myself to my signature.

RajTakhar said:
We all knew there have been issues with wifi for a while - it would have been more prudent to get people who have a background in field such as exophase to join the party and help - we just assumed it was all driver related.

Folks like notaz are much more capable at this than I am. That, and I had hardware a long time ago but sent it away >_>

Okay, just some quick update: Got the tiny stick today and thanks to notaz hackng magic it's already running great!

Battery life running at 500 MHz is about 6h when constantly surfing, which is good.

Surfing is as fast as on my normal PC (also very quick screen rendering! :))

The stick is barely noticeable, it's very small. So yeah, no internal WiFi yet, but we can assure you at least the provided stick is working, so you can use the Pandora for internet access as planned.

I'll probably do video tomorrow showing you the small stick and some internet browsing :)

EvilDragon said:
Okay, just some quick update: Got the tiny stick today and thanks to notaz hackng magic it's already running great!

Battery life running at 500 MHz is about 6h when constantly surfing, which is good.

Surfing is as fast as on my normal PC (also very quick screen rendering! :) )

The stick is barely noticeable, it's very small. So yeah, no internal WiFi yet, but we can assure you at least the provided stick is working, so you can use the Pandora for internet access as planned.

I'll probably do video tomorrow showing you the small stick and some internet browsing :)

Congratulations! I's awesome that this wifi stick uses just 3h of Pandora battery, I've seen such thingies that ate my laptop's power within an hour! (effectively reducing from 2.5 to 1.5 hours)

That's great news ED. Is the built-in wifi supposed to use less power, since you're having to power the dongle over USB at present?

Would love to see a video. :)

Hoping there could be a bright side to this. If we were using the Pandora for strictly gaming w/o dongle and with the wifi chip off on the Pandora itself, would we see an increase in battery life if we were just gaming vs browsing intensive surfing only of 6 hours?

Thanks!

Peace & surf,

Link

@Mjlink
Of course not - if you're not using the dongle, you don't get the extra battery hit. So it would be more than 6, though it's not entirely clear how high it will be since, there hasn't been extensive testing

@ED
Do we have an ETA for when the extra tests MWeston are doing will be done, and/or when you will give us another blog post? I'd like to hear the official stance, but it's not been nearly a week since the "I'm too tired to make a post" post, yet still nothing more.

I think the internal chip was estimated at 7 hours, however I think this USB one is actually a more powerful chipset in general.

It's good we finally have some news about the boards (kind of).

Leave's me wondering... Did MWeston come up with results of the board tests? Craig is saying he's arranging shipping.

Been a loooong week.

Craigix

Arranging the Boards (etc.) shipping, wow, almost a metric ton.

what's the dongle's output power? vs the pandoras internal wifi module.?????????

im having big headaches with my internal wireless N unit, sometimes im under the router and still unable to connect (dell wireless N 1515 +bt)
it's all a matter of output power for me. (last time i nearly dumped my laptop for being unable to connect to a laptop 2 feet away)

Alerino said:
For me, there is only one scenario. Ship to customers ASAP! I DO mind having to return it for repair. A LOT!
I'll be fine with a pandora/wi-fi stick combo, but as I'm at the end of the line (3900s), i'm confident things will get fixed by then
I know this is waaaay late, I had alot to do today, but these are my sentiments (and rough order in line) exactly.

Back