Ipad Gaming Case on Kickstarter

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
As per the Title there is an Ipad gaming case up on Kickstarter.  Here's the story on Engadget and the Kickstarter links

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/22/audojo-kick-starts-ipad-gaming-case-we-go-hands-on-video/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/audojo/audojo-ipad-case-for-games

Don't know what gamer told them it would be a good idea to release a controller without a D-Pad and front facing buttons.

One thing for sure though , the flood gates are starting to open on these gaming accessories for Android and IOS devices .  The games that support them should start to swell also.  

Something tell me this year will be huge for gaming generally.

Don't know what gamer told them it would be a good idea to release a controller without a D-Pad and front facing buttons.

Good point, strikes me as idiotic not to include a Dpad & buttons on something that big.  :blink:

I have been communicating with the ipad gaming case creator via email about the lack of D-Pad and buttons. 

They came back with a weird response which I replied to.  I think I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today, as I seem to have been pretty blunt which is not like me..

You can see the email's below, start from the bottom .

• victor

Tuesday Jan 22, 8:57pm EST

Hi,

Look I'll explain it as simply as I can.

First off D-Pad's :

A D-Pad is required for accuracy in movement , this is particularly true for the old retro side scrolling games which required a D-Pad for this reason. A joystick is no substitute.

Also, by not including a D-Pad you pretty much say F you to all the retro gamers out there who planned to use the controller for emulation. Most of the Nintendo games etc require a D-Pad .

Second face buttons:

When you design a controller you need to have an objective for what you're doing, what is that objective with this controller, it seems confused. It certainly isn't to provide gamers with full tactile gaming controls.

First you provide joysticks as you say you need the hands on feedback real controls provide, then on the other hand you say you can use touch buttons - Do you see the issue. As for your comment re taking your hands of the joystick. Lets put it this way, your left hand would be holding the controller case and be also on the left joystick, the right hand would be holding the right side with your thumb over the face buttons (if there were any). To use screen buttons you would need to let go of the controller with your right hand and reach over to the touch buttons to press them (where ever the would be on the screen). So , no where near the same. Lets not forget you wanted a controller to start with because you want real tactile feedback, Touch buttons suck big time -Why have a controller if you still need to press touch buttons.
    Again , a very confused device indeed.

I'd seriously consider if I was you, to get some gamers in and get there feedback.

Vic

• Report Spam
    Audojo

Tuesday Jan 22, 5:56pm EST

Hi Victor,

I'm not saying that gamers can use on-screen buttons in conjunction with analog sticks without taking their thumb off the stick. Similarly, I don't think they can use face buttons in conjunction with analogue sticks without taking their thumb off the stick. Your thumb can only be in one place at a time. That is why trigger buttons are critical.

We have definitely contemplated adding face buttons to the case and you are making a strong case to include them. We will definitely think about that over the next few days. We have been less motivated to add a d-pad as it seems a bit redundant relative to the analog sticks. Can you explain why you think it is important? It seems to be rarely used in console games these days.

Thanks, 
    Matt

• victor

Tuesday Jan 22, 5:38pm EST

Hi,

Not sure I understand how someone could use onscreen buttons in conjunction with the analogue sticks . Sounds extremely awkward to say the least.

I'd seriously re-consider adding the D-Pad and front facing buttons. There has been a number of controllers for Android and IOS Smartphones come out over the last couple of years. The ones that failed didn't have all the mandatory gaming controls and gamers were quite vocal to point those omissions out.

Quite frankly, if you choose to forget about history and those failed attempts, and gamers needs in general , your destined for the same outcome.

Is it not the definition of madness to repeat something the same way and expect a different result.

Vic

• Report Spam
    Audojo

Tuesday Jan 22, 5:27pm EST

Hi Victor,

Thanks for the note. We are definitely looking for blunt feedback. Our philosophy has been to not simply try to strap a controller to the iPad, but to deliver a form factor that combines the touchscreen with a controller. Many of the other attempted solutions have turned the iPad into a screen by simply attaching a controller. We think that is a step backward.

We are attempting to create a form factor that gives the tactile feedback from two analog joysticks (an absolute must!) as well as physical trigger buttons. We want gamers to be able to use touchscreen gestures and contextual on-screen buttons so we haven't added face buttons at this point. We have built into our API support for more buttons if we choose to add more. We may do so depending on the outcome of our Kickstarter campaign.

Thanks, 
    Matt

• victor

Tuesday Jan 22, 5:12pm EST

Hi,

Are you planning to add a D-Pad and front facing buttons?.

Can I just say that there has been many attempts by others to develop game controller add on's for Android and IOS devices. Most fail dismally for one reason, they didn't include the full gaming controls gamers expect. Either they didn't include analogue sticks or no d-Pad etc, there was always something missing from those controllers that failed dismally.

Don't repeat history by repeating their mistakes - for the love of goodness. Get some gamers in for some consultation if you don't believe me.

Sorry to be blunt, but I think this has potential if you do it right - Call it tough love from a veteran gamer.

Cheers

Victor

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on their sale price and goal it looks like their realistic targets are volumes under 10,000/year. They'd be crazy to throw out the crowd who runs emulators on jailbroken iOS devices, who may not be several million large but easily trumps those targets. Hell, even normal games w/onscreen controls are going to have a big chunk that aren't designed around two triggers only. But I do get the impression that he doesn't really understand that a lot of people use the devices for emulation.

Adding the extra buttons beneath the analog sticks comes at no disadvantage beyond a slightly increased price. It's not like you can still use the touchscreen with their design anyway, except to pinch at touch buttons on the very edge of the screen, which is exactly what they're trying to avoid. How on earth are you supposed to be able to make screen gestures while gripping the controller? And if you have to let go of the controller what difference does it make what controls it has?

It sounds like he thought including face buttons means removing the shoulder/trigger buttons. Obviously a proper controller needs both. A controller like this could easily support multiple trigger buttons in the back, that you could use with other fingers.

.. oh and this isn't related to the design but did anyone notice the 4 people who bought the $80 version even though there are 3 slots remaining for the $65 one, and they look to be identical? Weird. I wonder if those 3 slots were cancellations, or if those 4 people just didn't understand or properly read the tiers..

On the Engadget page they mention adding the buttons and d-pad would have made it thicker which they are trying to avoid.   I did comment that the sticks require the deepest hw mechanisms therefor adding buttons and d-pads wouldn't add any thickness.

In the end I removed the Engadget comments, I thought it was a bit harsh to rain on them publicly.

They seem to be very confused as to the design .  They come across heavily as some designers that slapped together a controller without having any objective .  It is also clear they have had no input from gamers.

It's sad really.

Am I the only one to have read in their second response that they claim dpads are not used in modern games ? If they think that they must only play first person shooters .

Am I the only one to have read in their second response that they claim dpads are not used in modern games ? If they think that they must only play first person shooters .
he's true... but only for some gamer and definitely not the kind of gamer you'll find on this board...

Well , I do in fact like a spot of First Person Shooter now and again , but I much prefer my good ol' platformer , and my recently discovered stealth - action . I'm trying to get into side scrolling shooters ( like metal slug ) but they seem to be hard to find and take some real dedication to play . Not helped by my copy of Metal Slug 7 having been stolen :( , a shame as it was easily on my favorite game list .

Who needs face buttons? You can use onscreen ones!

Who needs nubs? You can use the onscreen ones!

Who needs a controller? Just use the touchscreen!

I notice they are now considering adding buttons because a number of people have told them to, including half of there own backers in the KS comments.   I'll be watching to see what they do.  They still have not mentioned anything about changing their mind on the D-Pad

Back