Instant Pandora with a premium?

My Premium-Pandora just got here!

It already had the battery in and it seems like the long first boot had already been done. It came up very rapidly to the "Pandora's box has been opened" setup process.

Packaging did smell a little bit smokey, but the pandy itself only really smells of new electronics.

I must have missed the news about changing away from a "foreign wall-brick and UK adaptor" PSU - was pleasantly surprised to see a "laptop-style" one in the box (long-ish UK mains lead to figure-8 2 pin plug, plugs in to floor-friendly small brick). Just put Hotfix 4 on, now on to the Codec Pack :D

Nubs-as-mouse works really absurdly well. The screen is also great. The Y gaming button feels a little different to the others but not "bad". Shoulder buttons feel like they're working.

I will shut it down shortly and look for the special sticker.

Nice! You don't happen to be in the States, do you? I hope I get mine today, but I doubt it. The tracking site for UPS shows that a plane with my package just landed.... in Philadelphia... I'm in California. On the other site of the contintent.

:(

There is no special sticker on the first ones, they didn't arrive yet and, well, we didn't want to make a new delay. (you're welcome to one when they do).

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! You don't happen to be in the States, do you? I hope I get mine today, but I doubt it. The tracking site for UPS shows that a plane with my package just landed.... in Philadelphia... I'm in California. On the other site of the contintent.

:(

Sorry, no - England here. I don't know how quickly UPS gets stuff cleared through customs, but they probably have that to do before moving it over to where-ever their West Coast hub is.

There is no special sticker on the first ones, they didn't arrive yet and, well, we didn't want to make a new delay. (you're welcome to one when they do).

I'm just as happy with the "First Batch" sticker, and I'll probably get some Moo stickers done up for decorating the lid. (In random 8/16-bit video game themes, I think)

I decided to open it up and briefly meddle with the shoulder buttons - one of them didn't have a foam sticky thing, the other one had a smooshed-out-of-the-way one. I grabbed a random bit of very similar (dense rubbery) foam I have in my Random Crafty Nonsense drawer and cut off a couple of little bits that gave me the feel and responsiveness I wanted. They're just double-sided-taped in place, doing the same function as the stock ones. That's probably all I'm going to do inside the case, but it is kinda nice to know I've opened it up, seen its innards and made some token tweak :D

This is not news, but it bears repeating: Super bonus points for not putting any of the screws under the battery-compartment-sticker. It speaks volumes about what it is, who it's for, and who made it.

Meh, that's fine. As long as the quality is good. :)

One thing I want to warn you guys about is that once you get your Pandora, finally, you might be a bit let down with not having to wait around and check the forums constantly .. I know I went through a bit of "Pandora-waiting-game Withdrawal" once I got mine, and .. well I hate to admit it .. but I've hardly used my Pandoras lately. Its all a bit boring, now. ;)
You could always flush your Pandora down the toilet and order another one, and wait, and wait (and wait) again!

I'm pretty sure that flushing down the loo is a crime against humanity! Better yet donate it to a needy charitable cause (aka me!!!)

I know what you mean , you finally get it and you have a bit of a withdrawal of waiting and then it arrives and it's not really the life changing device you'd hoped.

However you then start messing around with bits on the Pandora like testing snes emulation and then you start some games. You then start banging a few more games on to it like a load of psx games, n64 games, scummvm (got about 20 now), battle for wesnothalmost every snes and megadrive game....bunch of homebrew.

Before you know it you're carrying it everywhere being able to access almost every awesome game you've ever had with a bunch of movies too, not to mention a web browser as well. So does that feeling go away? No I don't think the it ever will. However I'm currently trying to fill that hole by running a competition, I now have something to wait for again.

So yes, when you finally get your device there will be a longing somewhere in your heart...but with time it's replaced by a contentment that is having a bunch of awesome games and videos in your pocket.

I just paid the $150. Let's see that e-mail!

Hey, just an idea for those of you who are topping up your preorders: you got your preorder for $330, way cheaper than anyone can buy it now. This is a valuable deal that you're throwing away when you pay $150 to jump the queue. If you're not tight on cash, you could instead buy a second Pandora, and then sell the first batch unit to a friend for more than you paid for it once you get it. This is a win for everyone - Craig sells an extra Pandora thanks to your marketing work, you and your friend save a bit of money, and the rest of us have a bigger user community to share the device with!

Good call. +1
I'm sure that someone will find something to gripe about... Units are shipping, premiums are shipping in forget 7 days; 1 business day! Heck someone has even received their premium! So far last weeks plan for this week seems to be going pretty well! OPT should be awaiting apologies...

Good call. +1
I'm sure that someone will find something to gripe about... Units are shipping, premiums are shipping in forget 7 days; 1 business day! Heck someone has even received their premium! So far last weeks plan for this week seems to be going pretty well! OPT should be awaiting apologies...

They'll just get more drama as Craigix calls it. I am very happy for everyone involved including OPT and commend all of those who paid for the premium.

edit: spelling

Well, first time posting on this official Open-Pandora board. Its been a while since I used to comment on the Open-Pandora GP2X forum though, I check the Blog daily for new info. Though I didn't pre-order from batch1, I am in batch2 and been anticipating this system almost from the beginning before pre-orders started. Like most people have already said, if this instant selling helps the project being more successful than, all the best to you guys. My first thought however when I heard of this on Engadget was, I felt kinda cheated like with everyone else who's been waiting so long to have this product and some new people can just jump in and get theirs instantly. I myself cannot afford this luxury. I know you guys are working hard and I understand the difficulty

of doing a project like this as a small company so, what more can I say. I just hope to see my unit pretty soon and look forward to discussing version 2.

Hey, just an idea for those of you who are topping up your preorders: you got your preorder for $330, way cheaper than anyone can buy it now. This is a valuable deal that you're throwing away when you pay $150 to jump the queue. If you're not tight on cash, you could instead buy a second Pandora, and then sell the first batch unit to a friend for more than you paid for it once you get it. This is a win for everyone - Craig sells an extra Pandora thanks to your marketing work, you and your friend save a bit of money, and the rest of us have a bigger user community to share the device with!
In hindsight... that's a really good idea. Too late for me I'm afraid as I've already paid the extra and now just awaiting that 'we have posted your Pandora' email, but it's definitely something worth considering for those that haven't yet.

Hmmm, so we can't get a Pandora at the old price - in the queue with the rest - anymore?

That's too bad; I'd been planning on picking one up once things queue-wise caught up. I'm disappointed, but not surprised. The Pandora was very attractively priced. While I'd still like one, at $500 it's just a little too much for me to justify to the wife given I've already got an iPhone 4(which was free).

Don't get me wrong - I certainly don't blame OPT. But at $500; it's a lot harder choice when I can pick up a netbook(much higher performance, but unfortunately larger and with lower battery life) for $250.

Well, here's hoping for a good final deal with the iControlPad so I can actually enjoy emulated games on my phone at a reasonable price.

I'll keep my eye on the project overall though, and hope things work out well. I'm definitely interested in where you can go with the next iteration of the Pandora.

Me too please! Also can I arrange for my batch 1 to be signed as well?

Good to know that we could still get our hands on a sticky if we want one. :D

I want to order a second one to support you guys (and of course get it faster ;) )

but i can't :( I always get a Internal Server Error when I try to add the pandora to the cart.

So are the premiums allready gone? :(

I want to order a second one to support you guys (and of course get it faster ;) )

but i can't :( I always get a Internal Server Error when I try to add the pandora to the cart.

So are the premiums allready gone? :(

No, although my shitty host is doing a good job of making sure they last a long time!

I'm moving servers but it might start working again at random, or you can email us and we will send you a google checkout link.

Thanks,

Craig

Back