Instant Pandora with a premium?

OK, I had to 'tl;dr' the last 2-3 pages because my face is warped trying to hold my eyes open - i'll make edits tomorrow.

I removed all the discussion parts of my post, because I fear there's too much tl;dr going on (yeah I know, makes me sound like a hypocrite, but what I'm talking about is people who read post 1 and hit reply, reading the posts on the last page which appear at the bottom of the editor) and people might think i'm a member of OPT or something dumb like that vvv.

(Interesting: One of my old teachers once said that he's had some cases we're he'd be saying stuff, and then someone would yell out "FLUFFY BUNNIES!!!" and students would actually think that was the answer to question a) What is the first letter in "Psychology", despite hearing what the _teacher_ said/repeated perfectly. Humans learn things wrong more often, and better, than they learn the correct information :( . Good thing I'm not a human :D )

Craig - I really really hope those scripts on your server are well written. If there hasn't been already, there'll be a fucking massive influx in a big burst - hey, can you smell race condition? Hope the hardware's also been well tested to cope with high loads - but I guess it was, [jest] the last time there was a Pandora in seven days promotion(batch1 preorder - okay, no, (hopefully) nobody was expecting their Pandora in a week, but maybe Two Months). [/jest]. IIRC it ran really slowly, but worked without issue, ammirite?

The limit has been set at 100 units for now. The fact that these are still for sale* means that 100 have not yet been sold. (Correct me if I have the numbers wrong, but I'm pretty sure the'yre accurate)

* GBAX seems to be refusing my connection, so I am going from the last time I checked. Nothing wrong with the site, is there Craig?

The website has been up and down for a while. I've emailed the host.

This whole situation is very simple. More funds brought into a company is almost always good. Faster production is almost always good. Now, everyone here has seen every possible delay and human fuck up known to man for 2+ years, and I know production is finally moving forward, but I can see extra money being made, and production not going anywhere fast. I completely agree that now is the time to bring in more money, and more staff. A good buzz has been building, and now seems to be the best time to do something about it.

Currently Craig has been building units faster than CC can spit out boards, so has a really FIRM/SET amount of boards from Texas really been increased? Otherwise this whole thread will be a really bad joke, that is not funny! Even if CC says production will step up, I think UNTIL it actually happens, nothing should be done.

Now I'm hoping Craig can see the folly in believing them to pick up production, or that 2000 cases have actually left China, only to come back here in 1 month and tell everyone that Pandora's aren't shipping any faster because CC or the case factory didn't live up to there end of things. I thnik I would pull my funds from this project at that point, and I really hope THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN!

I agree completely. Past experience with CC has proven them not to be on time, and it's not like we have lots of boards lying around. Why is it that we suddenly believe they'll go faster? Is it more than just their say-so?

The limit has been set at 100 units for now. The fact that these are still for sale* means that 100 have not yet been sold. (Correct me if I have the numbers wrong, but I'm pretty sure the'yre accurate)

* GBAX seems to be refusing my connection, so I am going from the last time I checked. Nothing wrong with the site, is there Craig?

Despite Pandora's past failings, the team are not stupid. I think they probably deserve a little more credit than they're being given from some. The "extra" Pandora orders may be capped at as little as 100 units. Furthermore, a few of the people who have taken up this offer are existing pre-order customers who are "upgrading" to skip the queue. They're speeding things up without requiring the production of an extra Pandora.

Last I checked, the quote was "We don't know if we will take more than 100 Premium orders at all." That could just as easily mean "we don't know if that many people will buy them" in craig-speak. Remember "I'm prepared to say July"? I've asked, and am hoping for a reply.

In the mean time, if you want to support the team, without donating, and also get a little something for yourself, buy an iControlPad! It'll be a great addition to your Pandora at the very least.

How will an iControlPad be a good addition to the Pandora? It already has nubs.

@Craigix - the reason for the conufsion was that you'd never given then 100 limit before, so faster overall production was definitely *not* guaranteed. In fact, at the time of your writing that, you *still* hadn't even mentioned a potential limit.

Finally, Freelancer, great analogy! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there'd have been a lot less in the way of hurt feelings if this had gone out as a newsletter or we'd gotten an email about it. By the time I heard about it the extra units were offered and sold. A lot of us have stopped hanging out in here on a daily basis because there's been very little to do other than wait. I don't personally begrudge the method, but I do think that it lacks class to make an announcement like this on the forum without backing it up with a more formal announcement to those that might not hang out here.

Personally, I wouldn't have upgraded because I can barely afford the unit I've ordered, but I've been under the understanding that we're still waiting on parts and I haven't a meaningful idea as to how many units are left before they hit my point in line. I ordered on October 5th, 2008 or possibly the fourth, but I still don't know how much progress the main store has made in getting to the mid 1500s.

i'm thinking about upgrading only because i'm taking a plane next month, other than that, i wouldn't mind waiting a couple month more, no biggie, if the express pandoras made mine come earlier then; good, with 150 units per day, there would have to be an awful lot of orders to delay mine :p

but it's true that it IS frustrating to not know anything about when we could receive our unit, it's quite a puzzle game to browse the forums and news sites etc to figure out hoe many pandoras are being made, and at wich rythm, earlier, 550 have been made in a week, so we started going "yay, 500 per week from now" and then just 1000 were made in the whole month ? so is it because they are not built fast enough, or is it because all parts are not there quick enough? etc etc, there's just no way to estimate anything

if i didn't have that plane to take, i'd just forget about it and be super happy the day it gets in my mail box and thats it, but i do understand how some people get annoyed by not being able to plan anything ...

i'm thinking about upgrading only because i'm taking a plane next month, other than that, i wouldn't mind waiting a couple month more, no biggie, if the express pandoras made mine come earlier then; good, with 150 units per day, there would have to be an awful lot of orders to delay mine :p

but it's true that it IS frustrating to not know anything about when we could receive our unit, it's quite a puzzle game to browse the forums and news sites etc to figure out hoe many pandoras are being made, and at wich rythm, earlier, 550 have been made in a week, so we started going "yay, 500 per week from now" and then just 1000 were made in the whole month ? so is it because they are not built fast enough, or is it because all parts are not there quick enough? etc etc, there's just no way to estimate anything

if i didn't have that plane to take, i'd just forget about it and be super happy the day it gets in my mail box and thats it, but i do understand how some people get annoyed by not being able to plan anything ...

See here for an in-depth analysis of the numbers. It's only been about 700 this month, according to the status page (1600-900), and I'm pretty sure the "500 this week" was "reaching 550 this week", not "making the full 550 this week".

I'm pretty sure the "500 this week" was "reaching 550 this week", not "making the full 550 this week".

but but but,

they say they make around 70 per day and will make 150 with more people...

so in a week, 70x7=490 , so it's puzzling as ever.....

Anyone know what the "premium" Pandora is going to look like? The extra cost doesn't bother me, but if it ends up looking different that's going to upset me. I loved the flat black look, because it didn't look out of place in a professional setting. (Yes I intend on using it at work for a VNC and Terminal Console system to replace my netbook).

Anyone know what the "premium" Pandora is going to look like? The extra cost doesn't bother me, but if it ends up looking different that's going to upset me. I loved the flat black look, because it didn't look out of place in a professional setting. (Yes I intend on using it at work for a VNC and Terminal Console system to replace my netbook).

From what's been said, it'll be just the same. There will most likely be a special label in place of the batch 1 or two label, but I think that's it.

I for one am sort of annoyed that there's nothing special about these premium orders, but you have a really good point.

dear craig !

your strange manner to communicate makes all this more complicated than necessary.

may be you shoud hire someone for public relations (ie. jacky ;-) )

if you said ...

there is no money left, we sold the preorders too low and lost about 150 $ per unit.

so in order to survive as a company we have to rise the charge to 500 $ for future orders.

therefore batch 2 is closed. new orders will receive their pandoras within 7 days.

preorder-customers will not been delaid, because the new orders make it possible to hire more people for production line.

but for reason of fair play, all those preorder-customers, who want to speed up their delivery, can pay the difference to 500 $ and will get their pandoras in 7 days, too.

those who don't want to pay more, will get their units as scheduled before this action. their patiance will be rewarded with a smaller price, a 'first batch'-labeled pandora and the good feeling of having made all this happen.

... all would have been more clearly and maybe less confusing.

greetings
+1

I for one am sort of annoyed that there's nothing special about these premium orders, but you have a really good point.

Err, isn't the fact that you're getting in it 7 days instead of 2 years special enough for you?

I'm ordering two units, one batch 2 and one premium. I don't think it'll take two years to get the second batcher.

And I'm just bitching that I need to paint the case myself. :p

Down again...

Oh and i noticed TV cables are not availaible on this shopping page.

Down again...

Oh and i noticed TV cables are not availaible on this shopping page.

If I remember correctly, they haven't been manufactured yet.

The Premium order process is all about selling things that they have, or are confident they will have produced, within that 7-day time frame.

I'm pretty sure the "500 this week" was "reaching 550 this week", not "making the full 550 this week".

but but but,

they say they make around 70 per day and will make 150 with more people...

so in a week, 70x7=490 , so it's puzzling as ever.....

I've got a pretty awesome weekend photo to post later tonight.
What in the world is this picture you have exactly? :huh:

Also have you posted a picture of what the Premium Pandora sticker is supposed to look like since I've been absent for the past day and a half.

Back