I'm Sick And Tired Of All These Delays!

All the bitching and moaning on the forums have annoyed me, but the waiting etc. I expected and just see it as part of the process. Seeing the whole thing coming together and what happens in the background while creating something like this is fascinating.

It's still the device that I asked for with all the hardware that I wanted included, so I'm still waiting with baited breath for it to be in my hands :)

I'm sorry it has been irritating.

If you want a stable future for the Pandora we have to build it on solid foundations. IMO borrowing money or trying to secure huge distribution is what kills almost all start up new devices.

Yes we could have done it faster with a couple of million in the bank, but we have done it slowly, and yes many unexpected things have happened (the nub company going bust was a nightmare, what the bank did was unforgivable).

But here we are, no debts, still community based and about to start shipping.

We have *no* plans for mass distribution and we don't want it. See micromen (2009) to see how that, and other attempts to get above your station, can go very very wrong.

Next year will be neat and tidy.

craigix said:
I'm sorry it has been irritating.

No need to apologize. It's a touchy subject but I believe that the project would of been cancelled if you hadn't "stretched", perhaps unknowingly, the true release date. In no way do I mean this to be disrespectful. It really was the only way to keep the project together and to minimize cancelled orders. The team also put themselves in debt to keep things going and that deserves our accolades.

craigix said:
Next year will be neat and tidy.

Confirmed: Pandora 2 will be out in 2010(and will be neat and tidy). :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping to get my Pandora before I go on vacation next month (December 18th) But it's becoming painfully obvious that I may not get it :( If only I had ordered sooner..

Craig: big props to you mate. Well done on not buying the party line and going for huge debts and massive investment to make this dream a reality. No question in my mind that you've done the right thing, even in the noise and fuss, to keep on track and deliver the goods. I'm sure you're going to be feeling, really, really good in the months of 2010 as we see more software being released for the Pandora - and not just ports and emu's, but truly original stuff that can't happen anywhere else.

Just, one thing: please bundle a compiler with the Pandora. Put the basic tools to make a game *on the machine itself*. This is a humble, heartfelt request from torpor, to do the right thing. The world needs complete computers: no computer without a compiler is ever complete.

:)

torpor said:
Just, one thing: please bundle a compiler with the Pandora. Put the basic tools to make a game *on the machine itself*. This is a humble, heartfelt request from torpor, to do the right thing. The world needs complete computers: no computer without a compiler is ever complete.

:)

Anyone capable of using a compiler should really be capable of getting the thing on the device themselves. Most people using Pandora won't want to compile on device and won't appreciate all of the wasted space dedicated for a toolchain.

Exophase said:
Anyone capable of using a compiler should really be capable of getting the thing on the device themselves. Most people using Pandora won't want to compile on device and won't appreciate all of the wasted space dedicated for a toolchain.
Agreed. Including all the dev libraries anyone could possibly want to use could very quickly fill the NAND. By not including a complete set of dev libraries, you can download just the libraries you are actually interested in, and then everybody wins.

I haven't seen a single device that I have wanted more than the Pandora in the past year that I've been involved. Maybe I'll feel differently a few months after I've had it in my possession and the novelty has worn off, but nothing that is currently out or that has been announced for future release has made me consider canceling my order even once. Both the thumb keyboard and the gaming controls are independently desirable to me, and there is simply no device I know of that has put any serious thought or demonstrated any interest in designing a product with either a thumb keyboard or gaming controls. There are a lot of MIDs out there with similar internal components, but an always networked smartphone is superior and has the same, stripped down design without controls or a keyboard. The only other possible contender would have been a Nokia Internet Tablet, but because Nokia turned it into a phone, that hasn't turned out to be an issue for me. (I'm still interested in the N900, but only to replace my iPhone.) A Smartbook would have been a contender, but it hasn't been released and is less interesting and more practical (though cheaper) than the Pandora.

Being involved through the re-ordering crisis and all the delays has done one thing for certain: it has created a feeling of being a part of the project emotionally. I think that's a rare experience these days, and something that people obviously would like, given how many people create concept designs for Apple products, in a sad attempt to have some influence on the development of a software/hardware project (and to build up their portfolios) by rendering images of aluminum slabs. Instead, we have had a chance to share our opinions, participate in innumerable polls, get into debates, and have direct contact with the main developers about almost every element of the Pandora. So, even though it has been frustrating, I think I've received a lot in return. Or, I will feel that way, when the Pandora is released.

The only other device that has my interest at this point is the MS Courier, which is only in a prototype or soon-to-be-prototype phase and has nothing in common with any other device.

craigix said:
If you want a stable future for the Pandora we have to build it on solid foundations. IMO borrowing money or trying to secure huge distribution is what kills almost all start up new devices.

right on!
take your time, get it right.

I have a 400$ wince PDA here I can't wait to get rid of: crashes and drains the batteries when unattended ( its truly HCF-enabled), can't use/edit standard formats, shitty games, can't play videos, can't really surf the web, did I mention it crashes by itself?, and worst of all: does not have a decent OS.

I can barely take notes on it and even those notes are in a proprietary format, what's the point in taking digital notes if I have to retype them later ...

total piece of cr@p.hp.com

I want something that works, now or a bit later is fine :D

cobaltage said:
(I'm still interested in the N900, but only to replace my iPhone.) A Smartbook would have been a contender, but it hasn't been released and is less interesting and more practical (though cheaper) than the Pandora.

Hee hee my N900 arrived yesterday... All I need now is the Pandy in my left pocket act as its counter balance :)

There's a thought haunting me whenever I'm thinking about the Pandora. What if I'm disappointed? What if there's a long wait for software to be developed for things I want to do?

But that's balanced out by thinking, I just put down a commitment to the future of mobile computing. I plan to show this off during CES, and blow some minds! (unless there's a delay =/ lol)

well, I'm really late into the pre-ordering game(just pre-ordered today ;) ), but I have been reading every blog and most forum posts since it was first announced(I just didn't have a chance to get one until now, I'm so glad they still had a few for pre-order). I sometimes think it is worse for the people who are unable, for whatever reason, to pre-order theirs, as waiting for a device like this, and knowing you may never get one, must really suck.

Honestly, I don't really care when it comes, as long as it gets here and works(preferably with a pre-charged battery *hint hint*, so I can get started right away). I'm hoping to do most of my school work, development, and gaming all on this one device(just add a 3g card in the USB port and your good to go).

I can't wait for it to arrive, but I also like to have to wait and see the pic's coming in one by one(is that healthy?). But it will all be over soon enough, then I'll be too busy with it that I will forget any of this ever happened.

Oh, and first post lol.

Precharged battery would be awesome. Watching the pandora charge and wait till the red led becomes green, is not going to be heathy for me:( how can i eat or drink when there is a chance the led will become green during that time? :p

Corecannon said:
How have you been experiencing the Pandora development? Was it exciting? Or maybe it was tiresome?
I've been quite laid-back about it. It's been interesting seeing what's gone into the making of the machine, and it's also prompted me to expand my classic game collection in preparation for its arrival, which has been great fun.

Do you think you'll enjoy the Pandora as much as you hoped?
Certainly do. It's going to be an incredibly useful device all-round, for me - from games, to general computing usage, to helping out with my other hobbies. (It's funny to think that when I got my first computer, this sort of thing was something that only existed in the realms of science-fiction!)

Or do you think the Pandora will turn out to be a overhyped pile of garbage?
Not for me, at least. I've not really seen anything I'd describe as "hype", I don't think...

Do you think you'll miss these days of the forum when it was all about the Pandora's development and progress?
Honestly? No. It's certainly been very interesting, but I think it will become even more interesting once the Pandora is in people's hands. I'm looking forward to chipping in with testing out peripherals and software, myself.

fretfrenzy182 said:
I have had it with the muther f**king wait on this muther f**king thang!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4t6zNZ-b0A

How the hell do my threads end up with more then 2 pages?!

Back