For All Of Us

MonkeyChops

NO! I don't play basketball
Thread from the other forum
I hope this isn't taboo, linking the other forum, but this forum is the "real" forum and is getting more traffic and I believe this idea from player4 to be a worth while project.

Summary:
Create a website that:
1. Gets everyone involved in creating pandora software.
2. Has pending and proposed pandora projects listed with status listed (proposed, in progress, etc.)
3. Has requested jobs for the project (artist, sound, programming, etc.)
4. Has Links to walk-throughs and tutorials for said skills for people to learn new skills and hone their existing skills.
5. Has a way to register users and a system of listing their skills
6. Has a way for the users to communicate with each other about projects and to help with the learning process.
7. Has a Pandora file archive that has screen shots and a rating system and is sortable.
6. Could possibly be used to decide how dev fund money is divided.

There were lots of ideas about this proposed website and I may have missed some.

Its basically a site to focus on the software development and to stream line it. Its not meant to be a site that people tell devs what to work on, but would be a great place for people to brainstorm ideas and if a dev saw that a particular project was very popular and was of interest to him/her, the dev could pick it up with the incentive of the dev fund and the support of the users skills.

What do you think?

As an aspiring Pandora dev, this sounds very useful to me. Hooking up coders, artists, musicians, etc is the hardest part of any project in my experience.

As far as I'm concerned, anything that minimalizes "coder's art" is a boon to society. :lol:

Id say some sort of interlinked computing system that hosts a way to send and recieve messages (doesn't have to be 'real' time), combined with a standardised hardware device.

Unfathomable Depths said:
Id say some sort of interlinked computing system that hosts a way to send and recieve messages (doesn't have to be 'real' time), combined with a standardised hardware device.
humm.. sounds like something i might like...

but seriously the site idea sounds great

Last edited by a moderator:
shadow.8 said:
Sounds great, so how do we implement this?
there was a couple of people on the other forum that offered to host such a site. one had a site already that was somewhat similar.

we just need to figure out the best way to run the site and get someone to create it.

if someone could make a rough draft site we could have one of the offered hosts host it and we could talk about how to change it and tweak it to work the best.

Middle managers must die.

*edit* That was harsh. Middle managers must go away quietly. Who needs people telling other people what to do? Even if those people telling the other people what to do are unpaid.

Unpaid middle managers must go away (quietly and with no fuss)

I think SVN/trac could provide a few of the points: status of projects, assigning jobs, listing skills (through the tickets a coder/artist is working on or a short profile) and messaging (comments are possible I think).

The rest, especially linking to tutorials and having a file archive, but also dividing the money, could be either done on a different server (file archives very likely will be created anyway, I think) or integrated into a custom interface thingie...

Did any of that make sense?

Could we use this interlinked computing system, this 'interconnected network' if you will, to host this project?

For this project it seems like we need some sort of system, where people can go and post online messages (heck lets call them 'posts'), which people can reply to, creating a 'thread' of dialog ....

... hang on.

We need something more though. Some sort of way of being able to contribute to these 'posts'. Some kind of software/hardware that enables us to just to 'think' of an idea.

Any devs want to make this?

Any devs want to make this?
If only this "forum" for devs existed you could use it to ask one of them to make the it instead of posting in this thread on here ...

I would be willing to help out with php and I have hosting that we could use to temporally host it until it is completed.

Something along the lines of gforge with a custom interface might work well.

MechsWillOneDayStepOnYou said:
Could we use this interlinked computing system, this 'interconnected network' if you will, to host this project?

For this project it seems like we need some sort of system, where people can go and post online messages (heck lets call them 'posts'), which people can reply to, creating a 'thread' of dialog ....

... hang on.

very funny.. but I don't think that forums necessarily is the best way, have you read the thread on the other forum?

The point is to have something more like maemo-apps/face-book/forums/ combined where you easily can keep track of projects, request help and easily find what help others need in their projects.

I think that it can be quite hard to find what you wan't on the forums sometimes, yes you can use the search function but let me give an example:
If I for example can make sound effects and someone else needs sound effects. she/he then writes a forumpost about it, but I am on holiday and so not read in the pandora forums on a couple of days, when I do the post will maybe no longer be on the first page and hard to find, and because I don't know it exist I'm not going to search for it.

It would be easier with a site with lists for current requests, new updates for projects, discussion-groups / dev-forums for each project, etc. It would make it easier to keep track of everything and find whats relevant for you.

dentrado said:
MechsWillOneDayStepOnYou said:

... hang on.

very funny.. but I don't think that forums necessarily is the best way, have you read the thread on the other forum?

The point is to have something more like maemo-apps/face-book/forums/ combined where you easily can keep track of projects, request help and easily find what help others need in their projects.

I think that it can be quite hard to find what you wan't on the forums sometimes, yes you can use the search function but let me give an example:
If I for example can make sound effects and someone else needs sound effects. she/he then writes a forumpost about it, but I am on holiday and so not read in the pandora forums on a couple of days, when I do the post will maybe no longer be on the first page and hard to find, and because I don't know it exist I'm not going to search for it.

It would be easier with a site with lists for current requests, new updates for projects, discussion-groups / dev-forums for each project, etc. It would make it easier to keep track of everything and find whats relevant for you.

yay, someone understands. apparently I didn't summarize very well. please read the other forum before you assume that i'm suggesting a forum in a forum that has 2 forums. :rolleyes:

Back