1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

I'm out of ideas for news-titles

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Sep 5, 2017.

1. TeDaDeS

TeDaDeS Very Active Member

The news in this topic almost sounds like we are going to have to start planning the Pandora's farewell party.
    It might soon* be superseded by the Pyra.
    soon.png

2. Zwerg01

Zwerg01 Still Fresh

Please read Fourier's law and then revoke your statement.

3. jorlinn

jorlinn Member

The Pandora is king for non-complex games that require a resolution of 640x480 or 320x160, thanks to it's native resolution of 800x480.
    The screen is big enough to show the individual pixels and have clearly visible sprites, but not so big as to make them appear really blocky. It sadly just doesn't have the power to run complex games at 640x480 (think Fallout, HalfLife etc.). Sure they run, but not comfortably.

4. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Advanced Member

Eh? Halflife seems to run perfectly fine, if it weren't for the crappy nubs.

TeDaDeS likes this.
  5. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

I was going to say Two Months in its true sense (as an indeterminate period), but I didn't want people to get it confused with two months (some people reading this are only here for the bees, and don't get some of our references). As I prepreorderer, I would not be upset if all the 2GB preorders go out before my 4GB, even if there are 500 of them, but I didn't place that order to get ahead of everyone else (I actually wanted an interesting number, which I missed by one or two, and to show support...I didn't want to be one of the first handful in case something went wrong :D). I know not everyone that got in on the prepreorders will feel that way.

Oh, and a better/shorter version of my earlier title suggestion could be "Everyone at GamesCom loved the keymat".

I like that idea, too. Potentially wasteful, but not as bad as tossing all the "bad" boards.

6. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

I'm aware of that. And?
    Do you honestly think the weather will do a lot of difference here?
    We're talking about 60°C CPU temperature here (with 1GHz full load).
    Sure, there'll be a difference whether you're running it in a -20°C or +30°C area, but with "normal" conditions, ther won't be a huge difference.
    (BTW: I wouldn't suggest anyone to use the LCD with -20°C...)

7. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Retreaux

Unfortunately, where I live, -20°C might well be my daytime HIGH once windchill is accounted for around February.

There's a period of approximately two weeks where our average high is below 0°C, and winter here, for all intents and purposes, can run from Mid-November to Mid-March, or even into early April at times.

ilo_pona likes this.
  8. Shenmue

Shenmue Advanced Member

Can you bring me a Pyra for my Christmas gift this year Santa?

9. oskda

oskda Member

Plastic/carbon-mix looks really cool (and 3,75 times stronger :) ).

Some high-end notebooks use plastic reinforeced with fiber carbon, for example some good Thinkpads.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 6, 2017, Original Post Date: Sep 6, 2017 ---
    I don't see to much problem if we get only 2GB Pyra with OMPAP5 SOC, because CPU borad is UPGRADABLE, and we will have upgrades with better and faster CPU/SOC and more memory (4GB or even much more with time).

I think most Pyra users will upgrade to future CPU boad, as most are fans and will like and care its baby upgrading it.

Swordfish II likes this.
  10. dracmas

dracmas Still Fresh

When you get the software side figured out for the board and RAM, think you could make a wiki of how you set it up? I'd really like to make a minimal arch build when the pyras are in our hands to work with :)

ò.Ó likes this.
  11. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

You won't need to do that, as that's all in the board files, so even before loading the kernel :)

ClockworkCoder and dracmas like this.
  12. xnopasaranx

xnopasaranx Superbad!

rofl... i saw the troll stalking the thread while stalking him. he is so tiny, so mysterious. very style, much dwarfness.

elwing likes this.
  13. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Yeah, I'm looking out to try some of the old games I gave up on because of crappy* nubs on my Pandora, starting with Super Stardust.

I am perfectly fine with a 2GB unit, because that's what I preordered. It was pretty clear at the time that most purchasers were going to 4GB, but I was presuaded my trashy's videos that 2GB would be more than enough with a 32-bit CPU for my uses.

* Maybe not actually crappy, just kind of too unreliable for arcade use. I could play nub-nub (because the gameplay is largely compatible with the nub dance), but they can be quite frustrating even in the desktop.

14. Linux-SWAT

Linux-SWAT Advanced Member

Yamagi Quake 2 was surprisingly nice to play with the nubs before some update broke the game.
    I guess fine-tuning the nubs is very important to get the most out of it.

15. Caine

Caine Advanced Member

I have another idea: All problems have been fixed and Pyras start shipping next month.

Adjusting reality accordingly is left as an exercise to the reader :p

Neelix, Kev2442 and remjey like this.
  16. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

It should make a significant difference. The temperature difference between source and sink is the driving force for your heat flow - similar to voltage driving your electrical current. So, at a delta of 50° (10°C environment) you'll conduct more heat output than at a delta of 30°C (30° env.).
    Don't know though, if it goes in squared - like voltage does in terms of electrical power ( P = U²/R).

17. Ted

Ted Still Fresh

Thanks ED for your hard work.
    Why there are ethical reasons of Tantalum capacitors? I've tried Google, but cannot found the reasons.

18. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Active Member

Look at the third comment to this thread.

Pyramancer, Kippykip and Ted like this.
  19. fusion_power

fusion_power Advanced Member

Nice one, I remember that the community suggested these materials a while ago. Good to hear that it could be an valid option now.
    The giant Pyra Case must be good for something at least, right? ;)
    All mobile device companies should be marked with an warning about that fact. Damn marketing crap. Don't build devices that can't run stable under full load for a long time!It's getting worse and worse it seems.
    Btw: OMAP5 has 28nm build process, also not the best condition for optimum cooling imho.
    Don't forget, you can also increase the surface of the heatsink material alot with adding various structure on it. Or "fold" the metal ribbon more etc...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    rygD likes this.
  20. bukkit

bukkit Member

It's not the device that's wrong; in a way it's your point of view. The modern mobile device isn't built to run under full load for a long time. That's what servers are built for. The device is built to deliver a smooth handling experience at moderate power consumption. To achieve that, there's the possibility of firing short spikes of performance way above the usual load. Like nitro boost in your car. It gives you more power than it could normally, not less than it should. But it can do that only for a short time.

klapse likes this.