If a default choice is set, which desktop environment the Pyra OS should have ?

If a default choice is set, which desktop environment the Pyra should have ?

• Total voters

I fiddled around a little bit with this vm box and a "standard" debian. What was really annoying was, that it had ton of programs already installed - which I would like to avoid on a handheld/mini pc.

Which Desktop Environment (DE) did you install? Most likely you would have installed, Gnome, Mate, KDE, LXDE or XFCE. Also possible would be Cinnamon, lxqt, Enlightnement, fvwm-crystal, windowmaker and sugar.

Each of those DEs installs bundled with it's own set of default applications - what the DE maker communities decide are their favorites. Individual applications are easily removed or added, and you're not restricted to programs from one DEs default set to another - or to add additional programs not included in the DE. The idea is that the DE includes a basic set of software to be 'up and running' as quickly as possible.

If you want to use a Virtual Machine install of Debian to most closely resemble the Pyra's most likely default DE, that can be done.
Create a VM with a 1280x720 resolution window. Install Debian and select XFCE from the DE list. From there you can use Synaptic to install a WIDE variety of stuff.

ekianjo, do you have like anything further to add to that? What you're spouting right now just sounds like you're shitting on XFCE for whatever reason.
I'm less baffled by you having a simple opinion, but more that XFCE is suddenly supposed to be a slow tard after the general consent seemed to be that it's just about right with features and speed.

That means paying attention to what others are saying. Other than in these types of discussions here, I generally don't. I stick with KDE because it works for me, with xfce as my go to when I need something that is lighter. Unless I am exposed to something else I like, I will sick with those until they no longer work for me, and then look for something that works well and gives me what I am looking for without shoving things I don't want our need down my throat.

Based on the poll above, xfce has the most hype here, or something. I picked it because it is familiar, and works fine for me on the Pandora. If it works there is no need to change it (which often fucks everything up). If there is something that would be better as the default on the Pyra it should be there from the beginning (Linux newbies might get confused or scared if things change after they do their updates/reflash one day), and we should take a look at customising it now.

Mate is fine and works like what most people expect. Much faster than xfce which is a dinosaur.

I'm unaware of any benchmarking tools for desktop environments. If there were, I would consider XFCE difficult to beat. Mate with all of it's animations, bells and whistles is overkill.

I don't use a computer to marvel over the whizbang gadgets that the desktop environment provides. The DE is just a means to an end - where that end is application access.

Of course I'm also the guy who's frustrated that there are no 'simple' new cars sold in the US anymore. I want all wheel drive, a standard transmission, analog gauges, no touch screens, a single DIN AM/FM/bluetooth stereo, a bolted in phone cradle and a panoramic roof. The useful stuff.

To me, XFCE is that simplified example - what you need for any solid purpose without getting bogged down in useless valueless 'features' that you're not going to use anyway.

My benchmark would be the least CPU and memory usage while being easy enough for the newbies to figure out what they are doing. The rest of us can throw whatever else on it.

I think a vote where Mate is included would be highly in order.
If we could have unlimited choices I am sure we would. Maybe it is time to make another poll to narrow it down. Pretty sure I know what would win.

Out of curiosity, do you also prefer Mate (the DE)? I think I am going to go check it out now.

It is also in second place in the poll.
[doublepost=1484359539,1484357771][/doublepost]
If we could have unlimited choices I am sure we would.
So I am guessing the GNOME2/MATE CHOICE in the poll really means just MATE, so it's already is there.

Reading and looking at pictures makes it seem kinda average to me. The default look of it is probably good enough for the Pyra. The default doesn't look too good for my use, but I usually have to do some minor customising regardless of what I am using. I would probably need to try it out to see if it is worth switching to, and since I always felt GNOME was kinda boring for me back then, I doubt it.

Since it may matter, I don't like new cars, and would rather have a slightly rusty 50 year old American luxury car, probably automatic (did they come another way?). If it needs anything it doesn't have I will add it myself, or find someone to help me with it. The only thing that matters is that it gets me where I need to go, preferably without catching on fire. If it scares people off the road it is an added bonus.

So is it likely to be the default when the Pyra starts shipping? Even if I don't use it I may keep it in case I need to look at what others are seeing when trying to help them out. I wish I had my Pyra so I could figure out what I will use. Although I want KDE I will probably go with something that isn't a resource hog. I don't understand how Windows users can do it.

So is it likely to be the default when the Pyra starts shipping?
Who knows... It may come down to a vote and how it seems with the results of most of the polls here we'll end up with something horrible by default.

Back