1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

If a choice is possible in the wizard, which desktop environment(s) the Pyra OS should ship ?

Discussion in 'Pyra OS (Debian GNU/Linux)' started by Linux-SWAT, Sep 12, 2016.

?

Which desktop environment(s) the Pyra OS should ship ?

1. Enlightenment

10.4%
  2. GNOME2/MATE

29.9%
  3. GNOME3

3.9%
  4. KDE/Plasma

16.9%
  5. LXDE

24.7%
  6. MiniMenu

39.0%
  7. TDE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Unity

1.3%
  9. Xfce

84.4%
  10. EvilWM

1.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Linux-SWAT

Linux-SWAT Hardcore Member

I guess that the rootfs won't have all the DE, so in case the first boot wizard allows to choose from the ones shipped, which ones should they be ?

Tags:
  2. edgex004

edgex004 Advanced Member

I wouldn't mind an option to use OpenBox or i3wm without a DE.

StewieFellows and xnopasaranx like this.
  3. Linux-SWAT

I'm sorry, I can't add more voting choices :/ .
    Ppl seems to have to make a comment...

4. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Advanced Member

XFCE, MATE, and MiniMenu, I would suggest.

5. Caine

Caine Hardcore Member

Xfce, MiniMenu, Awesome WM and standalone XBMC.

6. benoitb

benoitb Very Active Member

Voted Xfce, but if there was an "I don't care" option, I would have chosen it.

Kippykip likes this.
  7. ghostpatch

ghostpatch Active Member

+1 for OpenBox with a nice theme

8. eric

eric Member

I voted but my own preference would be ratpoison as WM with a DE. That's what I use on my Pandora and it maximises screen space use!

rygD likes this.
  9. sulu

sulu Guest

"None" would be great. Quite frankly, I'd even consider the presence of a wizard to be bloat.

I usually set my x86 systems up by doing a minimal installation with the installer, disabling recommended and suggested packages and then installing everything I want on that very lean system. I 'd like to have a similar option with the Pyra. Basically all I want from the pre-installed Debian system is a kernel, a working network connection and apt.
    I'd even consider installing the system (not just flashing a system image) from scratch to be an option, if the process is well documented.

btw:
    Are there any plans on mainlining the Pyra-specific changes to the kernel?

10. Klumpen

Klumpen Run away! Run away!

Looking at the results I can get behind XFCE and MATE, but why MiniMenu?

Swordfish II likes this.
  11. TrashyMG

TrashyMG Sarcasm Dispenser Staff Member

Well I think most wouldn't want a minimal setup, so how I see it a wizard would be needed to determine a level of installation they would like. And how bare do you want to get? Without some of the Pyra specific things you won't get a working keyboard, nubs, rotated properly screen and what not.

rygD likes this.
  12. Silent-Hunter

Can the wizard be removed afterwards through the package manager?

Swordfish II likes this.
  13. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

As expected, Xfce is probably the best default, and those of us that want something else can handle it ourselves.

14. Linux-SWAT

It's a script, so it basically takes no space.

ArchiMark and Swordfish II like this.
  15. TrashyMG

yeah most likely, I'm sure many will be relieved that the few kilobyte script that is burning a hole in the 32GB of space can be removed.

ArchiMark, lukey, Neelix and 2 others like this.
  16. Silent-Hunter

Ah that makes sense.

17. AnimatedFreak

AnimatedFreak Very Active Member

While I didn't use it much with the Pandora the MiniMenu should definitively be included. There are probably many buying it just for the homebrew, ports and emulation games and not so much for the pocket computer aspect.

18. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

I voted for minimenu only, because all of the others can be installed using just that, but that's me showing off a little about being an Arch user. XFCE has all the bells and whistles I reasonably want, but it may be worth having something a bit fancier to show off the Pyra's abilities by default, especially given how much ram most units will have.

netcat likes this.
  19. TrashyMG

Minimenu is built around the PND system that is being replaced, I suppose if someone wanted to spend the time to rewrite it for the DBP system. However it may be easier to make something from scratch. Also the Pandora had to mainly deal with most of the applications being in PND form, it's not quite the case on the Pyra with it's large internal storage.

20. sulu

sulu Guest

I totally understand that. And I'm fine with removing a script (that's preferably wrapped in a Debian package).
    Still, "None" should be an option for the desktop choice in that wizard.

At one stage of the default image-creation process there will be a point where it's basically running fine but is missing most of the userland. It would be nice to release the image in that state before adding all the bells and whistles that only require you to run some apt commands.
    But as I said, a good documentation on how to create your own image from scratch would be nice too. In the company I work in, there's a policy: The documentation of your work should be in a state that if you get run over by a bus, any similarly qualified colleague should be able to take over for you. Now I certainly hope that ED (or anybody else for that matter) doesn't get overrun by a bus, but just in case ...

That's all a matter of the kernel config, right? (I've never really been into building custom kernels.) So it should all come with the kernel.
    If there are any config files needed, I'd expect to find them all in a Debian package or a collection thereof.

I believe the ultimate goal should be, that every single piece of the base system should be manageable by the Debian packaging system. I know that especially in the beginning that won't work for the kernel, but I think even this should be at least a long-term goal, which is why I asked for any mainlining plans.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 13, 2016, Original Post Date: Sep 13, 2016 ---
    I have no Pandora, so I don't know how Minimenu works. But on screenshots it looks a lot like lxlauncher, which is available as a Debian package.