I think Craig has a plan

Craig: "Send my your old unit, I'll send you a 1GHz for a small(!) fee"

Customer: "Great!"

...pays money, sends CC/RB unit to Craig...

Customer: "Looking forward to my new 1GHz even if it does look like shit!"

Craig: "..."

Customer: "Well, where is it?"

Customer: "Come on, it's been more than a year!"

etc, etc.
Does this new email link point to craig's shop or redirect to dragonbox?

Getting people to do a swapsy upgrade with ED would probably work out.

It directs people to email Craig.   We still don't know what's happening from that point on.  I would hope that he is then directing them to DragonBox.

- Neelix

Plan? All he asks for is more money/free units he can sell. That's not a plan, that won't get new costumers, publicity, anything.

I don't get why people call him "marketing-genius" or similar anyway... Lies and broken promises, that's all.
I'm not totally familiar with the situation, but I don't think LIES is a fair thing to say. That implies intent to decieve.

Broken promises...yeah.

As I understand, not entirely his doing. Nevertheless, I know this does little to ease the frustrations of the early folks. But "lies" just isn't fair.
Oh come on.

• He desperately promised documentation, detailled documentation, on the iCP2 production in return for it's successful funding. After the money was there: silence.
  • He promised ICP2 delivery to certain backers 1 month after funding in return for money, promised awesome XMas sales to those buying bundles. After 3 months he is still prototyping around. And please don't start with backlight now, that's just a bad excuse for not having the slightest chance to deliver in time.
  • Look at the donations he received in return for forum-icons and how much pressure it took to get them.
  • Look at the promised appstore 2.0
  • Look at how he screwed ED for 20k €, first letting ED deliver and now claiming those were part of the original "ED continues to deliver to Craig for free" deal.
  • Look how he simply doesn't say how much preorders he has left, NOT EVEN TO ED, with major rumors around its because doing so would unveil that the money for the 1GHz and the part-buying and such didn't go to "refunds"
  • There are tons of people waiting for refunds still (-> Ask Craig section)
  • And there is so much more, older shit. no excuse for nothing. never. writing newsletters only when he has some urgent need for cash.
He hasn't delivered his original orders. Has he shipped all premiums by now? He certainly hasn't delivered the 1Ghz orders. Still he doesn't explain anthing to those he has taken money from.

That's more than just breaking promises.

I totally agree with Scntrblob. People defending Craig are as naive as the people defending Armstrong in the past. How much prove do you need? 

At this point you assume the customer will be told to pay Craig and not Ed, and we don't know that yet. Maybe the upgrade cost goes straight to dragonbox.
I totally agree with Scntrblob. People defending Craig are as naive as the people defending Armstrong in the past. How much prove do you need?
First off, It's "proof". Second off, we aren't defending Craig, just pointing out that the accusation of "lies" is false.

False as in not true.

Some of us care more about truth, others get more enjoyment out of a crowd mentality when they get to verbally stone someone they diskile.

Last edited by a moderator:
why don't you send it in yourself?
Because I already have a 1Ghz, so it wouldn't do me a lot of good. If I do the trade in then I'm left with the logistics of shipping and paying for the upgrade for a device which I would just turn around and sell immediately for an unknown amount of money. It makes more sense from a logistics and business perspective to sell the broken one for discount and have the intended do the upgrade. If I didn't already have a 1Ghz I'd totally go for it, and if I had realized this was an offer 2 months ago I probably would have.
OK, that makes sense.

And just how much were you wanting to get for it?

You should post this is the sales section as well.

At this point you assume the customer will be told to pay Craig and not Ed, and we don't know that yet. Maybe the upgrade cost goes straight to dragonbox.

All we know is that we're to email Craig. I can't see him saying "send money to ED for an upgrade", can you? Craig needs money.

I totally agree with Scntrblob. People defending Craig are as naive as the people defending Armstrong in the past. How much prove do you need?
First off, It's "proof". Second off, we aren't defending Craig, just pointing out that the accusation of "lies" is false.

False as in not true.

Some of us care more about truth, others get more enjoyment out of a crowd mentality when they get to verbally stone someone they diskile.

You have no proof he's not lying. Some of us were here (and on GP32X) when he started this circus, love. Show us some proof that Craig is honest. Go on, I dare ya.

There is a very good reason that as many people who have been shafted by Craig shout about it as loud as possible in as many relevant locations as possible - it prevents others from making the mistake of trusting him with their money. 

D.

I don't know about intentions with regards to delivery promises but the whole "1GHz unit is 2x faster" claim always rubbed me the wrong way.. stock speed vs stock speed it's more like 67-85% faster, typical overclock vs typical overclock only 30-40% faster.

I don't know about intentions with regards to delivery promises but the whole "1GHz unit is 2x faster" claim always rubbed me the wrong way.. stock speed vs stock speed it's more like 67-85% faster, typical overclock vs typical overclock only 30-40% faster.
Well I never saw where he claimed that, but assuming he did, thats dishonest -- even if he was rounding-up things for marketing-speak purposes.

I'd maybe be alright with "up to twice as fast" but I don't like "about twice as fast" at all. That suggests the typical case, albeit in none too concrete terms.

I remember hashing this out with Craig before, although I think his original claims may have been more exaggerated.. But it's not like it hasn't been brought to his attention before so I'm going to go with deliberately dishonest on this one.

The trade-in offer exists in my shop for a while already. This is a neat email to let existing customers know they can do that.
And it got me interested.  Ed, just looked at the trade in option on your site and it 'seems' more complicated in that you need to order the case and board separately, and as a result isn't clear if you end up with a completely new unit or the nubs, lcd etc stay the same.

If I was going to upgrade, I'd want all new, to avoid the purple haze etc etc.

I'm happy to upgrade, especially if it helps your cashflow Ed.  This email makes it seem easy (albeit you have to send a unit and cash to Craig).  If I can do it with your site and the turn-around will be quick then I'll go for it.    Not that I need the extra speed / memory, just feels like a way to help and keeps my Pandora 'fresh' ;)

Didnt Craig said after the CC incident that they lost to much money and couldnt fulfill all orders, that they could have filed for bankruptcy but carried on trying all they could? Had they went bankrupt no one would have gotten anything, no more Pandoras and no refunds. I got my Pandora order from him, my emails contacts have been fast and always gotten awnsers, they helped me with repairs, and I got the metal token when donating, all of this dosnt sound like a dishonest man to me, If hes out of money there isnt much he can do in terms of refunds or delivering Pandas right now is there? And a bankruptcy is the last thing you want then you get nothing.

Didnt Craig said after the CC incident that they lost to much money and couldnt fulfill all orders, that they could have filed for bankruptcy but carried on trying all they could? Had they went bankrupt no one would have gotten anything, no more Pandoras and no refunds. I got my Pandora order from him, my emails contacts have been fast and always gotten awnsers, they helped me with repairs, and I got the metal token when donating, all of this dosnt sound like a dishonest man to me, If hes out of money there isnt much he can do in terms of refunds or delivering Pandas right now is there? And a bankruptcy is the last thing you want then you get nothing.
To be honest, it's statements like that that kept me away from the project in the first place.  If the only alternative is bankruptcy, then you're on such a knife-edge anyway that I don't think your business management can be trusted at all.  "It's that or go bankrupt" isn't, to me, a business saving itself so much as one that's already circling the drain trying to threaten customers to stick with it - or else!  And, to be honest, if the company had gone bankrupt the knock-on implications might well have been worth it - the directors of the company would be brought before an administrator to explain their actions, their other companies would be similarly tainted in terms of credit and operation, and though people might not have got all their money back at least something would have been done to discourage such business in the future (and, to be honest, if you used a credit card to pay, the credit card company would reimburse you in almost all countries).  Also, because of the *deliberate* separation of other companies run by the owners from OP Ltd., the company owners would actually not lose out except in terms of reputation and credit history except in the worst case.  They really have nothing to lose that they aren't already at risk of losing anyway.  Customers, however?  They stand to lose everything.  Threatening customers with your own bankruptcy is probably the lowest form of business.

But, remember, if only a handful of people start claiming a refund through the courts (rather than through the normal refund process which seems to be failing them at the moment), then the company either has to find the cash somewhere or file for bankruptcy anyway.  And ED can't save that.  Literally a debt of a penny that the company can't pay and someone decides to take to court - no matter HOW MUCH the company is worth or what it has in stock, etc. - can force a filing for bankruptcy.  Nobody has yet done that (I'm baffled as to why, but assume it's because of the bankruptcy "threat"), but it could still happen at any time.  And then you're in a much worse position anyway.  You might have your unit, but then the original company will be sold off - or even given to the person who filed for bankruptcy if the debt is big enough and they accept it as a valid form of credit (e.g. one of the many investors, say, who I don't think got quite such a good deal as even the customers still waiting).  Sure, it MIGHT be ED that picks up what's left of the company and the assets (and even a trademark is considered a saleable asset) but it might not.  And then you're on an unsupported console where anything from the website to the software archives to historical firmwares might come under the copyright of whoever bought up the remains of the assets (which might be a rival project, even, and nothing to do with ED or Craig).  And they would have good legal standing to cause quite a lot of hassle in terms of preventing downloads, relicensing updates, etc.

Sure, if you hang on and "trust" people, you might see a console one day.  But this isn't about being honest or running a good business in times of trouble.  This is about threatening customers with great loss (for them) at little cost (to you) in order for the customer's to rectify your own mistakes.  From what I hear, the ICP kickstarter is starting to go the same way.  I've said it in public several times now - I'd work with, or hire, ED in a second because once he was in control he proved he can run a business (even down to not just caving into Craig's demands for effectively "free" consoles).  But Craig?  I wouldn't have anything to do with him at all.  And threatening your own customers with your OWN bankruptcy is probably the lowest of the low.  Unfortunately, the OP still has Craig's fingerprints all over it, and the situation has been on the proverbial knife edge for years now and still isn't free of it (basically someone had to break away into an entirely separate company to get things working again, and effectively abandon all the previous customers to their fate).

You can try to paint that as the better of two evils all you want.  The fact is, when there's a choice between two evils, you're still choosing an evil in the end.

I realize now that I have neer seen this as serious companys, when I paid my money I took the chanse of giving some random strangers from the internet to deliver something I couldnt build myself but wanted so much I was prepared to put the money on the line. And I understand this must not have been everyones viewpoint at all. Your point is excellent and I will stop defending him from now on.

It's actually interesting to hear people say if Craig goes bankrupt, nobody will get the Pandoras; but if Craig has no money in OP, then you're relying on ED and Community dripfeeds, which would probably happen anyway. The only thing is whether Craig would hand over the remaining pre-order list (which might be interesting if he does, because that would reveal numbers).

Not that I'm advocating bankrupting Craig.

Back