I Got Gpsp (gba) Running With Sound!

Vimacs posted on Dec 1 2006 at 05:21 AM said:
Very nice first release, once again you crushed a "never gonna happen"

I don't think anyone ever said GBA could never happen though ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
zodttd posted on Dec 1 2006 at 05:14 AM said:
DaveC: Good suggestion. Didn't think about that. I could replace PUSH with a volume button fairly easily, or the L+R+START. I might be able to just remove the need for PUSH altogether. I'll add that request to the volume fix request of things needing fixing for the next update.

I would vote for the L+R+START option. MAME uses it, GNGeo uses it (but without the L), so that seems pretty "standard"

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 1 2006 at 05:25 AM said:
Vimacs posted on Dec 1 2006 at 12:21 AM said:
Very nice first release, once again you crushed a "never gonna happen"
now to tackle N64!

No N64.. SNES!!

EDIT: to clear something up, the very beginning (when the intro is just some text and a sound clip, it IS perfect, but seconds (when a battle scene shows up) later it's extremely slow.

Ahhhh, that would be why, i only loaded to the menu on Tales, as i noticed how good it was and decided to spend time seeing how well the other games were doing.. :unsure: *sheepish*

Azalin posted on Dec 1 2006 at 12:30 AM said:
EDIT: to clear something up, the very beginning (when the intro is just some text and a sound clip, it IS perfect, but seconds (when a battle scene shows up) later it's extremely slow.

Ahhhh, that would be why, i only loaded to the menu on Tales, as i noticed how good it was and decided to spend time seeing how well the other games were doing.. :unsure: *sheepish*
Another great bout of heavy research by Assalin.
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 1 2006 at 12:29 AM said:
Yeah snes is begging to be dominated
Are there any SNES emulators for the GP2X/XGP?

I would vote for the L+R+START option. MAME uses it, GNGeo uses it (but without the L), so that seems pretty "standard"

L+R+Start does seem to be standard and I would strongly second that vote. It's definitely what I try first, power off/on generally second. :)

So far, I haven't gotten any games to run without significant stutter. Almost like someone is pressing pause/unpause constantly. Still, looks crisp.

Also, I don't think zip support is working, but that may have been before I figure out how to get around the menus. Anyone care to confirm?

Zodttd, maybe you could explain us how to edit the game_config.txt, as in finding the requiered information.
I guess you need to disasamble the game?

Oh, and is it only me or are the diagonals not working?

waaah all games either lock to a white screen, go straight to a black screen or go to a white screen then a second later go to a black screen. Is this an indication that I have the wrong bios file. (I ran metroid fusion which someone already tested and said that it worked).

Jackd posted on Dec 1 2006 at 12:45 AM said:
waaah all games either lock to a white screen, go straight to a black screen or go to a white screen then a second later go to a black screen. Is this an indication that I have the wrong bios file. (I ran metroid fusion which someone already tested and said that it worked).
Maybe wrong bios, maybe your bios is named wrong (check the readme).

zodttd posted on Dec 1 2006 at 04:59 AM said:
I recommend Chu Chu Rocket and Pac Man Collection, but I suppose those aren't on the top of the list for most. ;P

I tried Pac man collection. It runs decent. Sound is stuttery but it is playable. I can't get to the menu to mess with the frameskip though because it uses that click. Maybe a menu setting t would help.

Does the fact that both the GBA and GP2X use an ARM CPU help the speed?

Does this emu support software diagonals for d-pads (Ex:UP+RIGHT=up-right diagonal)?

Also it would be real nice if the emu supported putting ROMs in a subdirectory such as "roms" in the gpsp dir. Having the roms, executable, bios, and config file in one massive pile gets rather messy. Just a thought.

Tried out the European version of Castlevania: Arria of Sorrow.

Works pretty darned good! I OCed to 266 w FS1 and it was very playable, I'd say maybe 70% of fullspeed with the sound stuttering. Too bad I can't turn the sound off though. It doesn't seem to save either. I believe vba2x generated .sav files for each game.

Castlevania: Circle of the moon: TOO SLOOOWWWWWW. Not playable.
F-Zero: Loads, but too slow as well.

Still, great start man. Throw in some full-screen scaling and savegames and it's gonna rock! Hmm, Advance Wars, Fire Pro 2, tons o games FTW!

Doh. I just figured out Savestates work great!

Tested the following games @ 250MHz:

Super Mario Advance 2 - Super Mario World - VERY slow, not very playable.
Advance Wars - Never went in-game, but meny was very slow.
Pokémon Ruby - WOW, GREAT SPEED! It's VERY much playable, and very close to full speed too. Sound is good but not perfect at FS1 or FS2.
Mario Kart - Good speed, also quite playable at FS2, sound is good.
Minish Cap - Playable speed.
Final Fantasy I & II - Quite slow, but almost playable.
Final Fantasy IV Advance - Doesn't boot.
Tetris Worlds - Doesn't boot.
Sudoku Fever - Doesn't boot.
Gyakuten Saiban 3 Japan - Slow.
Final Fantasy V Advance - Doesn't boot.
Metroid Fusion - Amazing speed, almost full speed with very little sound stuttering.
Sonic Advance - Slow.
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - Good speed, but could probably need a little more before it's fully playable.

Great work! :D
Something I hope to see in a next version:

Option to enable/disable sound emulation.
To be able to turn the volume down. ;)
Fullscreen Scaling.

Also, is it just me or do you need to restart the emu to load up a new game? When I go to the menu ( Stick+A and Right. ) And choose to load a new game, nothing happens.

WOOT!!!

This is excellent! My v. small test data:

Lunar Legends, at OC250 and fs 3, is very playable indeed! Not a pleasant audio experience (lots of stuttering) but livable. Gameplay slows down at scene shifts, and occasionaly hiccups a little, but as I said, very playable. Woot indeed!

Back