I Got Game Boy Micro

I wonder how many of you who are making comments actually spent some time playing games on it.

ralp99 posted on Dec 22 2005 at 03:28 PM said:
i picked up one of those GBA flashcarts ages ago (stores @ 30 Mb of games) a good long while before I ever got my GP32 flu. Needless to say when the flu hooked up, my GBA had been steadily gathering dust by the ton. Everything just looked better (plus there was so much more available) on it!

Game boy micro was announced last summer, and the world (including myself) scoffed heavily. Now it's "the season" and the thing's been out in the world, I saw one about 2 months ago and fell in loooove. I picked up a used one for $80 the other week and can't put it down, now my GP32 is the dust collector!

How could this happen? Well, simply put, the micro is just soooo damn easy to take everywhere that I don't have to think about it. At ALL. There's still endless amounts of emulation with the flashcard. Nowhere near as impressive as the GP32, never mind the 2X, but it's just too easy to birng anywhere that I literally don't have to think about it (and I generally hate carrying crap with me anywhere, honestly).

It sucks seeing all this super-quick GP2X development, hell even looking back at my GP32 with excellent genesis, mame, and MUCH better GPEngine/etc on it and knowing I'll never have any of them on micro.. but somehow, extremely portable classic NES just seems like more than enough for me.

have I gone mad? has anyone else here given it a shot? will i break down and buy a GP2X in the next year? and delegate the micro to the dustbin as well at that point? hmmmm.

Oh just wait! Did you mention NES emulation on the GBA? Oh my god... Pocketnes is a nice Emu, sure but it's just useless on that handheld with it's tiny resolution. You can't play nes on a GBA, it's just a pain to see the games sized down with glitches everywhere or if you play them in the native Resolution you have to use L and R to move the screen up and down to see everything :blink:

So you can play any gba game on the go? Well fine, but those wear out pretty quick and I rather have my music collection, pcEngine, Megadrive, Neo GeoCD, C64 and homebrew stuff arround me at once with a nice big 320*240 res screen!

Oh to make things worse, the micro doesn't even play gameboy or gameboycolor, sure you could emulate it but eww... ah nevermind the buggy gb/c emulation for the gba...

btw: I haven't touched my DS since I got my gp2x, allthough I have some nice games for it here(animal Crossing, Mario Kart, M&L2) and most of all gba games are just plain boring or trash. I already finished the few good ones on my GBA SP anyway.

PS: sure the micro is a quality device, but I don't see me using it instead of my gp2x, also because the Nintendo DS is superior to the Micro in any single way. Heck get a DS for 129 with mario kart instead of a micro for 99 without anything <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't think comparing the micro to a GP2X is a very fair comparison. micro really has one purpose--to be TINY (while still sporting an impressive library of games). And it is, so I think Nintendo acheived their goal. I don't think anyone's arguing whether the GP2X is a more robust platform; of course it is.

Some people don't mind carrying around their GP2X or even their PSP, but, for me, those are way too big to bring around with me. It just comes down to personal preference.

I really wouldn't cut on the GBA emulation scene. People in glass houses, afterall...

The GBA has been around for a very long time, with an immense user base. GP2x actually still has a bit of catching up to do as far as polished fullspeed emulators. Here come the flames, but it's still true.

and don't bother even asking which system feels better in your hand... IMO the Micro is the best 'feeling' nintendo handheld ever.

Reaperman93010 posted on Dec 25 2005 at 01:03 AM said:
I really wouldn't cut on the GBA emulation scene. People in glass houses, afterall...

Don`t piss in the corner ?. :unsure:

Trooper

Just picked up a silver GBA micro. The console looks nice; I just have the plain black faceplate on it, but the blue and black one's nice, too. The unit--even with a game in--is extremely light, which is an awesome plus. And I haven't had any trouble with the screen or reading text. Buttons are much nicer than the SP, too.

So far very happy with my purchase. :D

shinneri posted on Dec 26 2005 at 04:02 PM said:
Just picked up a silver GBA micro. The console looks nice; I just have the plain black faceplate on it, but the blue and black one's nice, too. The unit--even with a game in--is extremely light, which is an awesome plus. And I haven't had any trouble with the screen or reading text. Buttons are much nicer than the SP, too.

So far very happy with my purchase. :D
u should have gotten a special edition one. I here the final fantasy edition from japan is really nice. I personally have a famicom micro which is -dare I say- gorgeous??

How does the screen look in direct sunlight? Horrible? I personally am afraid to turn my GBA SP FLU in for something that probably looks bad in the sun even though it is the single most sexiest device I have ever laid my eyes on. Oh and Mr. Anderson you forgot to mention that even more of the pcEngine, Megadrive, Neo GeoCD, C64 library is even more trash.

they're better in the sun than any other backlit system that I can think of. It's one of the brightest handheld screens ever, but it still would prefer to be played inside.

diablo2 posted on Dec 26 2005 at 03:23 PM said:
How does the screen look in direct sunlight? Horrible? I personally am afraid to turn my GBA SP FLU in for something that probably looks bad in the sun even though it is the single most sexiest device I have ever laid my eyes on.

I've been playing FF4 (RPG with lots of text!) on Micro, and the screen looks great. Also, this is only Nintendo console that lets you adjust backlight brightness, not even DS let you do that. The build quality is the best out of all. Speaking of DS, playing GBA game on DS sucks for me because the placement of A button is so retarded, it makes my thumb hurts because I have to twist my thumb to reach A button. As much as I like DS game library, DS is not ergonomically well-designed.

Reaperman93010 posted on Dec 26 2005 at 06:23 PM said:
they're better in the sun than any other backlit system that I can think of. It's one of the brightest handheld screens ever, but it still would prefer to be played inside.
What I was expecting. What exactly is the reason that causes the screens to look horrible outdoors. Do you own a PSP? If you do please tell me it looks beter than it outdoors. PSP looks horrible in the sun.

codeninja posted on Dec 26 2005 at 06:55 PM said:
I've been playing FF4 (RPG with lots of text!) on Micro, and the screen looks great. Also, this is only Nintendo console that lets you adjust backlight brightness, not even DS let you do that. The build quality is the best out of all. Speaking of DS, playing GBA game on DS sucks for me because the placement of A button is so retarded, it makes my thumb hurts because I have to twist my thumb to reach A button. As much as I like DS game library, DS is not ergonomically well-designed.
Yeah, I know. Why can't the buttons be bigger also? It's like pushing down... tiny buttons (I couldn't think of anything small). I want a redesigned DS, but knowing nintendo, I don't have to ask. And FF4 Rocks. I've been playing it on my SP.

i carried the micro w/ me all day today and forgot it was there most of the time, i've never been able to say that of any other system. also if the screen gets scratchy you can just change the faceplate, easy as that.

ok enough of me kissing the thing's ass..

Reaperman93010 posted on Dec 25 2005 at 12:03 AM said:

The GBA has been around for a very long time, with an immense user base. GP2x actually still has a bit of catching up to do as far as polished fullspeed emulators. Here come the flames, but it's still true.

and don't bother even asking which system feels better in your hand... IMO the Micro is the best 'feeling' nintendo handheld ever.

Well not to cut on the GBA scene but I will cut on the GBA/micro screen. The res is just too low to emulate anything better than a Speccy on. 240 x 160 just doesn't cut it for emulation, sorry. You can't even do NES on it without it looking ugly with all of the cropping/scaling down resolution, it is awful.

And the screen on the micro is even smaller than it needed to be. They could have made it so the screen goes all of the way to the edge of the case without that border around it. They even try to make it not look so bad so they pinched in the center of the case to give the illusion of a larger screen. They should have made it so th case is straight in the center and then enlarged the screen so that it goes all of the way to the top and bottom edges.

DaveC posted on Dec 26 2005 at 07:55 PM said:
And the screen on the micro is even smaller than it needed to be. They could have made it so the screen goes all of the way to the edge of the case without that border around it. They even try to make it not look so bad so they pinched in the center of the case to give the illusion of a larger screen. They should have made it so th case is straight in the center and then enlarged the screen so that it goes all of the way to the top and bottom edges.

I see your point in screen size, but at the same time, I don't think you understood the Nintendo's design philosophy on Micro. One thing for certain, they didn't design Micro to be the emulator machine. :p All three players wants to be the next Apple, to me, Nintendo is the closest considering the design of Micro and Revo.

all i care about is how good nes plays on a flash cart in the micro. if the nes emulators work i will buy the micro tommorow, but if not i'll wait for a gp2x with better hardware. and if a gp2x doesn't come out with better hardware im buying a neogeo pocket color from lik sang, and if lik sang runs out before i get the chance, i will keep my zire 71 palm pilot.so, eh, ya hows those nes emus goin?

Eh, I don't really care about emulation on GBA. I would rather play actually GBA games. Most of Which are good contrary to popular belief.

again, if i want emulation i'll play it on my N-gage which i carry with me everywhere because its my phone, i'm not going to spend $100 on something new just for NES emulation, which DaveC pointed out probably isn't going to look that good anyway. Even on the n-gage i probably doesn't look that good but still not worth me shelling out the $100 for the micro.

I will say though Nintendo is very very good at rehashing old and outdated software/hardware. now if we can just get the virtual boy rereleased we'd be set.

i only have 2 games for mine, tennis and WarioLand, but they're good fun, especially tennis. I need to pick up the AC adapter though, VB is not battery friend.y.

Back