I Just Bought A........ Gba Micro

greven

Website
Visit site
Yesterday I was at the Fnac (kind of french Virgin Megastore) and I saw a (pink :ph34r: ) GBA micro @ 55 € (normal price is 95). What should i do ? buy it ? I allready have a DS, a GBA, a GP2X, a GP32...... and ...it's PINK !!
Bah, i bought it, 55 € is not so bad.
Now i'll make a quick review of it with some shots.
First of all I want to say I'll will not compare the different handeld on the capacity they have, because we all know (how many topic xxxx VS GP2X have we seen) that the goal and games of the GP2X and GBA are different, i'll only show you some shot so you can see how small it is ^^
Firste, the packaging :
PDRM0013.JPG

PDRM0016.JPG

The inside :
PDRM0017.JPG

The GBA micro :
PDRM0018.JPG

PDRM0022.JPG

With some other handeld :
PDRM0024.JPG

PDRM0025.JPG

PDRM0027.JPG

PDRM0028.JPG

PDRM0033.JPG

And with the supercard :
PDRM0038.JPG

(more photos here)
The screen is quite good, far away from the GP2X or DS one, because the color are not as good, but still impressive for a handeld of this size.
The main adavantage is the size, i can bring it with me allways, and with the supercard, i have a huge ammont of games. To carry the GP2X (and its case, i dont want to damage it) you need a bag, it is useless with the GBA micro (of course, as I say before i ll not compare both handeld), a pocket is enough.
I hope you liked my quick review :)

I just bought one of these two days ago. Mine is green.
My thoughts-

Its now the only handheld I own.
I had basically stopped handheld gaming because I can never be bothered to cart the things around. The DS/GP2X/PSP are all too big to take everywhere imho. The Micro is so damn small though- I can have it anywhere and not even notice it's in my pocket. Its a similar size as my mobile phone (and a similar weight too).

It's also very comfortable to play- I used to get hand cramps occassionally with the old DS having to bend my thumb around for MarioKart etc but not with this. Small but comfortable.

Plus the screen is so good that the size never bothers me- whoever said you cant read RPG text on it needs to get some glasses> I never have a problem even with the smallest text and my eyesight is crap.

The price was too high originally, but I have seen them cheap in several places and they are now worth the money if you ask me.

id just convinced my self after a few months of thinking, that i didnt need a micro, until i saw this post, they look amazing, annd i can honestly say i think id take it everywhere due to its size (saw a pre owned one today in gamesation £39.99). anyone got a rough price on how much id need to spend getting roms and homebrew working on one of these? cheers

CUPC4KES posted on Aug 26 2006 at 09:43 AM said:
id just convinced my self after a few months of thinking, that i didnt need a micro, until i saw this post, they look amazing, annd i can honestly say i think id take it everywhere due to its size (saw a pre owned one today in gamesation £39.99). anyone got a rough price on how much id need to spend getting roms and homebrew working on one of these? cheers
Just a little more than that used micro. You'll have one Gigabyte worth of GBA and converted GBC goodies with you so it's worth it. :D

1GB card
Supercard MiniSD

Last edited by a moderator:
No chance in hell, GP2X all the way. No excuses. No cramped eyes. :)

- Alex

Er... I didn't know that was a supercard... honest. I don't own one. And if I did it would be strictly for homebrew.

Hey sorry for the stupid question but does this thing play GB/GBC games still? I've got lots of those laying around, for some reason.... :unsure:

iignotus posted on Aug 26 2006 at 09:04 PM said:
Hey sorry for the stupid question but does this thing play GB/GBC games still? I've got lots of those laying around, for some reason.... :unsure:
negative, nintendos trashing compatibility with the new game boys :(

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 26 2006 at 09:10 PM said:
iignotus posted on Aug 26 2006 at 09:04 PM said:
negative, nintendos trashing compatibility with the new game boys :(
Wryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :(

See, this is why I have a GP2X and not a micro or SP. Mario Tennis, here I come!

Just some info on compatability:
The old GB and GBC used 5v logic for everything, wheras the GBA and DS use 3.3v. Inside the GBA and GBAsp cart slot there is a physical switch that changes the gameboy to "old" mode. In laymans terms, there is basically an entire extra Gameboy color built into each GBA.

On the DS, they probably left out the old processor to keep costs down. Im a little pissed at Nintendo for this one. On the Micro, it was probably just an issue of space. The damn thing is so tiny, they would have never been able to fit the extra circuitry at a reasonable price.

This unit is indeed beautiful, i love it, even if it is pink (i saw the silver one, I found it......triste, but the green is cool)
BUT....... I just found i have a dead pixel (not really dead in fact : blocked at red), i think i'll go to the Fnac Monday, and explain them my way of thinking about "dead" pixel : I own a GP32 and a GP2X, both are (we ahve to admit it.. :( ) not very known, GPH is a small firm, but at least they have a wonderful screen and a very few people complain about dead pixel (well, ok, the GP2X have those scanlines, but i assume this is a different probleme).
I hope they will give me another one, if not, bah, it is really hard to notice the dead pixel id there are movement on the screen, so i'll keep it....

i've got a friend who's currently in japan and seen one for £50 and asked if i wanted him to buy me one. I've definitely seen them at the same price on ebay i can remember there being an australian store where you could import them from for cheap does anyone remember it? Or know of anywhere offering a cheaper price than £50

well i managed to get one this morning (pre owned silver) and im really impressed, ive dug out all my old gba carts and been enjoying plaing about with it but the most interesting thing is how i obtained it!!.... i was in town this morning with my missus for no real reason (she needed to get something or other) and in woolworths theyre having some bank holiday clear out, so i found a box full of games and i could not believe it!! i bought: 2 x shadow of the colossus for.......... £3.99 each?!? 2 x of gta twin pack(III an vice city) on xbox for £3.99 each and doom 3 for xbox for 3.99, so i went straight round to gamestation, part exed the lot for £48!! so i had a gba micro and f-zero 2 for £20, they had other stuff to, not so good though, shadow the hedgehog, pass the mic, all 3.99, i urge everyone get to your woolworths and see what they have! anway. can anyone point me towards a site based in the uk that deals in all things i need to play homebrew on my gba?? cheers

edit: strangely all these mega cheap games had 'preowned' stickers on the back, even though woolworths don't sell preowned stuff, weird.

unlucky posted on Aug 27 2006 at 02:21 PM said:
i've got a friend who's currently in japan and seen one for £50 and asked if i wanted him to buy me one. I've definitely seen them at the same price on ebay i can remember there being an australian store where you could import them from for cheap does anyone remember it? Or know of anywhere offering a cheaper price than £50
I got mine (preowned but boxed and mint) from Game for £39.99.

Also, seen them preowned (unboxed) in Gamestation for £39.99. Think they may be £49.99 new in Gamestation at the moment too but am not really sure about that.

Back