I Got Game Boy Micro

ralp99

i picked up one of those GBA flashcarts ages ago (stores @ 30 Mb of games) a good long while before I ever got my GP32 flu. Needless to say when the flu hooked up, my GBA had been steadily gathering dust by the ton. Everything just looked better (plus there was so much more available) on it!

Game boy micro was announced last summer, and the world (including myself) scoffed heavily. Now it's "the season" and the thing's been out in the world, I saw one about 2 months ago and fell in loooove. I picked up a used one for $80 the other week and can't put it down, now my GP32 is the dust collector!

How could this happen? Well, simply put, the micro is just soooo damn easy to take everywhere that I don't have to think about it. At ALL. There's still endless amounts of emulation with the flashcard. Nowhere near as impressive as the GP32, never mind the 2X, but it's just too easy to birng anywhere that I literally don't have to think about it (and I generally hate carrying crap with me anywhere, honestly).

It sucks seeing all this super-quick GP2X development, hell even looking back at my GP32 with excellent genesis, mame, and MUCH better GPEngine/etc on it and knowing I'll never have any of them on micro.. but somehow, extremely portable classic NES just seems like more than enough for me.

have I gone mad? has anyone else here given it a shot? will i break down and buy a GP2X in the next year? and delegate the micro to the dustbin as well at that point? hmmmm.

you think thats easy to take around, my N-gage QD with a holster sits on my hip everywhere i go so i'm never without gaming, the small mmc cards fit perfect in my wallet and it can do much more than the GB Micro.

Micro can rot in hell for all i care

Yeah angel, but the gameboy actually has games you can play, which is quite a big advantage in my eyes.

Nova posted on Dec 22 2005 at 05:49 PM said:
Yeah angel, but the gameboy actually has games you can play, which is quite a big advantage in my eyes.
As does QD. It has frackin' Sid Meyer's Civilization (2) on it!! That alone tempts me towards the QD...

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my little brother a GB micro to replace his broken SP.. The size of the thing is just amazing. The screen is pretty small, but its super clear so its not that bad on the eyes. I personally still have an original GBA. If i cant find an afterburner light kit for it, i may upgrade...

Hey Angel, have you tried "Pathway to Glory" on your QD? That game is so indescribeably awesome when played over the arena. I switched phones, but i may buy another QD just for that alone.

Jarska333 posted on Dec 23 2005 at 03:43 AM said:
Nova posted on Dec 22 2005 at 05:49 PM said:
As does QD. It has frackin' Sid Meyer's Civilization (2) on it!! That alone tempts me towards the QD...
I too am tempted to pick up an NGAGE QD.

yep i got it and it is incredible. Very very good game, especially for strategy game fans.

i got 14 games for my QD, and i'm very happy with it. I used to bash the shit out of the N-gage until i finally got aroudn to OWNING it, not just using it a couple times in a store.

The games are not that bad, and keep in mind, ITS A CELL PHONE.

Of all my games, Ashen, Collin Mcrae Racing, NCAA Football, Red Faction, Worms, Pathway to Glory, and the Sims Bustin loose are my most played games. Tony Hawk is also pretty good for being on a phone.

Not to mention all the Symbion software it can run, mp3, movies, and emulation as well.

It was just because it was marketed as a game console that it used to suck so bad, instead of a phone that swallowed a gameboy.

so QD sounds interesting to me. i look at the micro, and i look at my cellphone, and think to myself "man, if only nintendo'd have gone one step further..." I'm not one who needs all the extra shit on a cellphone, camera/etc.. but if i was able to flip the micro over and use it as a cell, that would be one less thing to carry around. i know it has been postulated before (and even attempted, to a degree, in the case of nokia).

so what's the story with QD? can it play emulators? never mind the relative high-end.. can you play NES/SMS/etc roms on it? is it as small as micro/regular small-sized cellphones/etc? is the control as spot-on as a gameboy or GP32, or does it feel like the usual unsatisfying "cellphone gaming?"

before the 2x, I loved my micro. With supercard and gigabyte of SD, it's perfect for gaming. I think it's the best portable system I've *ever* owned--and I've had quite a few. It slides so easily into my pockets, and whenever I'm stuck bored in line somewhere, wham! I remember I have a micro.

It's just a shame the micro wasn't the first incarnation of gba, so more people would have been exposed to its brilliance.

of course now the 2x is hogging a good portion of the micro's attention (mainly because its new). today the micro lost her treasured 1gig of SD to the newcommer. ...if only nintendo had released those stylish faceplates on time, I might never have gotten my 2x. Alas no, Nintendo decided to orphan her the day she was released.

I've been holding off on micro...until yesterday. Many of my friends adviced against it, but, what the heck, since when video gaming is about need? It's all about wanting. :) I've got 20th anniversary one assuming it's gonna hold up its value better, and that pearl metalic red shell with golden faceplate was impossible for me to resist. Try to hold one of those anniversary edition Micro in your hand, and you'll see what I mean. Despite of the size, actually, it feels more comfortable than both SP and DS. And, the buttons have higher quality feel to them. Currently, playing FF4 on this babe, oh boy, I'm in heaven. :D

yeah don't get me wrong. like i said i love playing genesis/mame on GP32 and have been enjoying them steadily since their release. I just found that it was always a pain in the ass to grab the thing and take it around with me so much, so it was just very occasionally (flu screen gets old after awhile too - yeah, we get spoiled seeing nearly everything else baclit these days!)

it's hard to ignore the 2X what with all the unbelievable lighting-quick development coming down the pipe for it on this site (and man, those pics!) It's making me drool.. and I will DEFINITELY get one someday, I am sure of it.. but in hindsight, and knowing how things are.. i can definitely say I would more readily want a GP32-capable micro-sized (and screened) handheld rather than fullsize 2X. I wouldn't have thought so, either..

I'm interested in getting a micro, but i really want to wait till they come down in price, in my eyes they are way overpriced at the moment, but they do look bloody nice.

ralp99 posted on Dec 23 2005 at 05:48 AM said:
so QD sounds interesting to me. i look at the micro, and i look at my cellphone, and think to myself "man, if only nintendo'd have gone one step further..." I'm not one who needs all the extra shit on a cellphone, camera/etc.. but if i was able to flip the micro over and use it as a cell, that would be one less thing to carry around. i know it has been postulated before (and even attempted, to a degree, in the case of nokia).

so what's the story with QD? can it play emulators? never mind the relative high-end.. can you play NES/SMS/etc roms on it? is it as small as micro/regular small-sized cellphones/etc? is the control as spot-on as a gameboy or GP32, or does it feel like the usual unsatisfying "cellphone gaming?"

I haven't tried emulation on it but yes it does quite a few emulators, it runs Symbion OS so Symbion programs will work on the N-gage so it opens up the system to many many programs.

Also, i was worried about the controls at first because i have big hands, but i don't have any problems at all and its just as comfortable for me than any other portable that i own.

As for the size of the screen, i believe its the same size as the original Gameboy. It might be slightly bigger than the micro, but still, its a phone. I have no problem with the screen, its a phone.

Sure the Micro is a great gadget, but the GP32 BLU/GP2X's large screen wins me over. It's just not the same experience on a 1" stamp, you know? :lol:

as stated in my previous thread, the screen ruins the console. maybe like *slightly* larger and it would be decent, but the screen is TOOOOOOO small to play anything, let alone RPGs <_<

small screen - i thought it would suck, but after years of my FLU GBA and GP32, the superbright backlit smaller screen has won me over. yeah, if i ever actually got to see a BLU i would maybe be whistling a different tune. as it is, NES games look so much better that way, interestingly.

Back