DS Micro

in3D

Has anyone else noticed a pattern in Nintendo's handheld consoles? It looks like the DS line is going in the same direction as the Game Boy line did:

Game Boy/DS

Game Boy Pocket/DS Lite

Game Boy Color/DSi (XL)

Game Boy Advance/3DS

Game Boy Advance SP/3DS XL

Game Boy Micro/...?

So, if this is true, then the next DS will be a DS Micro, right?

BTW, I'm only posting all of this so in case Nintendo does release something like this, I'll be able to say, "I predicted that."

Here's what I think: It will be about 2 thirds the size of the original 3DS. It won't have a card slot (all games will come from the eShop,) and it won't have a camera, but it will still have a photo viewer. Also, I don't think they'll keep the depth slider. (They'd probably just add 3D depth to the Home menu brightness dialogue.)

I even made a picture:

Untitled-1.png

Just know that this is all speculation and I already said why I'm posting this.

You are wrong, because DS/DS lite/DSi/DSi XL and 3DS/3DS XL aren't in the same family line.

And FYI, these are the family lines...

1. All GBs

2. GBA/GBA SP/GBA micro/GBA GIANT (GBA-DVD Player hybrid)

3. All DSs

4. 3DS/3DS XL

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Sony my fellow human ( I hope :unsure: :p ;)   ) , you are forgetting my favorite ( of the ones I own ) of Nintendo's product lines : the GAME AND WATCH(E?)S :wub: :wub: :wub: .

only one question ( as in set of ) here ( aimed at in3D ) what would be the rational of a smaller 3ds ? I COULD see people buying their 4 year old a reduced price ds , but as big N warns of the danger of 3d for those under 7 ( or was it 6 ... ) it would make more sense just give their child a ds lite or ipod . PLUS if this system was to be aimed at 7+s who would possibly use the 3d woudn't it make sense to give the maximum viewing angle ?  I mean I am the proud owner of a Gameboy micro but , the gbm is kinda a no - frills typa console . Almost Applesque . but with the 3ds its main point in life is 3d- a frill ( one which made me a launch day buyer and preorder :D ) but a mini 3ds would be dual screen ipod with buttons , one 3d screen , one resistive touch screen , a sd card port ( if it got made it would need 2 for me to buy ) and nintendo games :wub: :D :lol:   . sounds friken fantastic but not for more than 120 ( actually the dual sd , or dual micro sd might convince me at 200 ) as the normal 3ds is at 160 .

I'dd love a DS micro, assuming it would be as portable as the GBM :D

Can't agree more!!!

Actually Pokemon Mini is still my favoured console. Main reason is it's size. 

The trait I noticed was PM was out in paralel with original GBA, GBM was out with DS Phat. So N does a micro console when they launch a new line. That's why I really hoped for a next micro console with 3DS, but unfortunately it didn't work that way...

Or is it a nano device that we should wait for?

The trait I noticed was PM was out in paralel with original GBA, GBM was out with DS Phat. So N does a micro console when they launch a new line. That's why I really hoped for a next micro console with 3DS, but unfortunately it didn't work that way...

Yeah but remember the GBA micro didn't sell as well as Nintendo expected. Can't remember the figures, but I remember there was a fire sale on GBA Micro near the end.

I still have my GBM in my pocket everyday, through, I'm not using it too much lately... it's so tiny

Can't agree more!!!

Actually Pokemon Mini is still my favoured console. Main reason is it's size.

I agree! I would buy a DS Micro if Nintendo made one, but I guess it's not likely. BTW Elwing, I calculated the screen size comparison between the GBA SP and the GBM, and it's 20:29. When I made that picture, I used that ratio to choose the size of the 3DS and DS Micro. SO, in my picture, it is as portable as a GBM.

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, but you're not nintendo... thus I added my conditions :)

Yeah but remember the GBA micro didn't sell as well as Nintendo expected. Can't remember the figures, but I remember there was a fire sale on GBA Micro near the end.
PM sales were far bellow those of GBM. Maybe the learned something. THen again it is very much expected - If you create a new line the old line will be overshadowed even if it's great on its own. I just got 3DS XL as I am geting every N handheld since 12+ years, so if this thing gets out I would buy it for sure but most likely I will buy many more 3DS games as well as I would get to actually use it on the go, not just gather dust in my home, as is the case with 3DSs.

Back