Release Hurrican sourcecode released!

pickle, that falling through the floor/wall due to timing is a _very_ common problem when writing up 3d game engines; _everyone_ runs into it, its pretty funny, and actualyl very tricky; even raster pixel 2d games simialr problem with netcode.. if you say player has X speed, and Y times go y, you figure he should go from 'here' toi 'there'.. but what if theres a trigger or trap or something between 'jumps', you can't just teleport; you have to calculate old and new location, then determine the motion vector and see if it intresects anything with a trigge watch there. For 2d, its still ots of work, but much easier, and more forgiving if you miss. But with 3d, you can easily go through a wall, or fall through the tiny .000001 space crack between triangles, etc. So many map editors align trianmgles beside each other ("how far beside") and not "overlap", etc.

Its a tough problem, but yet you think.. naaah, thats so old school, it must be easy and 'solved' .. but not :)

jeff

You know this is a 2d game using OpenGL?

Either way i realize the problem is that the sprite is being allowed to move in too large increments which make it move through other objects. The solution is quite simple, loop through the logic multiple times. This should work fine as long as the logical and render operations are separate, and they appear to be so far. I have a timing technique i used in polyhedra that should work to solve this problem.

One thing i did remember, i was running the game at low detail and that improved the framerate, thus improving the occurrence of this bug. So it would be possible to release something at some point before i add the fix for this problem.

You know this is a 2d game using OpenGL?

Either way i realize the problem is that the sprite is being allowed to move in too large increments which make it move through other objects. The solution is quite simple, loop through the logic multiple times. This should work fine as long as the logical and render operations are separate, and they appear to be so far. I have a timing technique i used in polyhedra that should work to solve this problem.

Pickle, as it's in 2D, could you calculate the position of the sprite on the next frame, "draw" a line between the two and see if it collides with any of the scenery? Then place the sprite at that intersection point or thereabouts/invoke physics (for force reflection).

I've had this problem before in 3D (Ps1 era) and it's a bitch in 3D due to the expense of collision code and the simplei physics we were using, especially where there were more than one thing to collide with.

Well i have a fix/hack that removes the falling into the level problem mimicking the problem on the PC with a forced delay. I need to test more to know if everything is in sync. Right now it doesnt look that bad. Im interested to see how this works on the pandora.

Wanna see! Wanna see!

EDIT: Okay, just played it, AWESOME :)

Some minor frameskip, but it doesn't make the game feel sluggish. Plays and feels great :)

Is there music supposed to be playing in the first level as well?

Haven't had one :)

Should I make a video here? A small teaser? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, please! Do you really even have to ask? :lol:

I'm waiting for Pickles reply :D

Tried again, now also got music in the levels.

Don't know why I didn't have it on first try, but who cares :D

Some frameskip occurs with lots of effects at the same time on-screen, however, that was playing with maximum detail :D

Yes, please! Do you really even have to ask? :lol:

I'm waiting for Pickles reply :D

Tried again, now also got music in the levels.

Don't know why I didn't have it on first try, but who cares :D

Some frameskip occurs with lots of effects at the same time on-screen, however, that was playing with maximum detail :D

Fine with me if you want to make a video.

Did you overlcock at all? It does make a difference.

Maybe I have a bug in the music wrapper.

There is a bug at the end of the level, seems to get stuck waiting for any key to be pressed. If you happen to get that far.

Okay, I'll do a video :)

Clocking to 800MHz is still a tiny bit skippy, with 900MHz it works pretty well.

Maybe some effects could be switched off for optimizing it for lower speeds in the future :)

there is a setting for effects in preferences ;-)

True, but I didn't think that changed much... I'll check again :)

EDIT: Hmm, changing the effects doesn't do much here.

Clockspeed only seems to make a difference when A LOT is happening. The beginning runs the same speed at 600MHz as it does with 800MHz for me.

Still looks like some frameskip, even when not much is happening... what's the refresh rate here?

Doesn't look like the system runs out of CPU power here, if 600MHz looks the same as 800MHz when not much is going on :)

Oh, and I can confirm the music is only sometimes working.

Most of the time there's no in-game music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Video currently uploading.

@Pickle:

About the music: It starts to play but then fades out after a few seconds. So it seems it's just muted :)

Back