Release Hurrican sourcecode released!

Was joystick support added to this port? I've found some sdl stuff trying to do this in your code, but my joystick isn't really recognized.

Yeah there is code that should attempt to use a joystick, i dont remember testing it, so it possible.

Thanks for the report, I will try to test it out and try to fix anything that may be broken.

Great port Pickle, got a slight problem though :

Powerline appears to be assigned to Left Shift, however pressing either the shift key or the left shoulder button does not work. What does trigger the powerline is the right shoulder button.

It does not appear to be possible to map controls to the shoulder buttons either.

FWIW I'm running Super Zaxxon 1.5 Beta 2.

Thanks again, it's a great choice of a port for the Pandora. Hope you do well in the competition.

Great port Pickle, got a slight problem though :

Powerline appears to be assigned to Left Shift, however pressing either the shift key or the left shoulder button does not work. What does trigger the powerline is the right shoulder button.

It does not appear to be possible to map controls to the shoulder buttons either.

FWIW I'm running Super Zaxxon 1.5 Beta 2.

Thanks again, it's a great choice of a port for the Pandora. Hope you do well in the competition.

Yeah i seem to recall that, all you can do right now is remap it. Not sure why it behaves like that.

Hi Pickle,

Amazing job! I tested yesterday, and even with overclocking, I couldn't achieve 60 FPS so I suppose this is a GPU bottleneck. It's quite playable anyway. I'm very sensitive to tearing though, and I think I spotted some (at least in the tutorial level, which is the only one I tried). Do you think that vsync could be activated? Or is it not suitable since it may eat even a few more FPS while syncing?

Cheers!

Hi Pickle,

Amazing job! I tested yesterday, and even with overclocking, I couldn't achieve 60 FPS so I suppose this is a GPU bottleneck. It's quite playable anyway. I'm very sensitive to tearing though, and I think I spotted some (at least in the tutorial level, which is the only one I tried). Do you think that vsync could be activated? Or is it not suitable since it may eat even a few more FPS while syncing?

Cheers!

Yeah the game is bottlenecked by the GPU, but a higher clock helps. The vsync code is there i didnt turn it on because of the less than optimal frame rate.

Video by another dev gregor that has been helping finish up the port. He has an AROS system running on top of linux and it can use the host's opengl. He is able to run multiple sessions and does so with hurrican. Heres the video of it:

I tried it again and this time, I was able to beat the first boss, but after that it crashed again. Unfortunately I have no pnd_run.out, as I had to hardreset...

Been fixing and enhancing hurrican, along with some improvements from others. One this more interesting features I have just finished up is a converstion of the graphics from a mixuture of bmp' and png's to the pvrtc format.

Pvrtc is the compressed format developed by ImgTec for their gpus like the SGX. The benefits are low memory, low power, faster transfers. It is a lossy format so their is some quality loss. So far I have only tried the 4 bit per pixel format. All in all it works well, some of the images with one pixel wide details show the lossy aspects, such as the small font. The benefit so far is that I can use all images at the native resolution (no halfing the size of the images). I cant tell that the loading time/game speed has changed. Im curious to try the 2 bit per pixel, and at what data loss.

I plan a full write up about the process I used to do the converstion, but it basically goes like this. Use imagemagik to convert all original images to png32, which replaces magenta with transparent, grows to power of 2. Then the png32 image is used with the pvrtextool to compress it into the final pvrtc format.

There is some extra code needed to load the images, but I will show that in the write up.

I also plan to try and track down the crashes as best i can. These may take time as the only debug method may be with many printf's

I also plan to try and track down the crashes as best i can. These may take time as the only debug method may be with many printf's

Any chance you can look at getting it to run in 800x480? Those black bars at the edges of the screen are so ugly :)

D.

latest release:

as for resolution everything is hard coded with numbers, ive tried to see how far i could get but I dont really know the engine well enough to get it right.

Back