How's it going? (2012-03-05)

Sure it is. But that wouldn't be nice, would it?

It would've been easier to file insolvency and restart the production in Germany with a new company... but that would probably piss off a lot of you guys.

Or we could tell you all to either pay for the full upgrade or get a refund.

But that's also not what I want.

EvilDragon, I'm happy to pay the upgrade price from my classic preorder (Oct 2009), for the order to be fulfilled when/if you switch over to the DM3730. I do wish sometimes my order was just with you, as the communication sometimes from Craig is worrying (not that I don't appreciate both you roles, and others in this magnificent story). Is this something that could be arranged? Thank you.

EvilDragon, I'm happy to pay the upgrade price from my classic preorder (Oct 2009), for the order to be fulfilled when/if you switch over to the DM3730. I do wish sometimes my order was just with you, as the communication sometimes from Craig is worrying (not that I don't appreciate both you roles, and others in this magnificent story). Is this something that could be arranged? Thank you.
The only "upgrade" is to get your unit faster. DM3730 isn't an upgrade option.

Ok. Newbie here - 2 questions.

(1) What is considered a "classic" preorder? I ordered mine August 2010. My confirmation says my preorder is from the second batch.

(2) Also, II see posts of people that ordered from Craig's shop. I ordered from openpandora.org and got my order confirmation from someone named Jacquelyn.

(1) What is considered a "classic" preorder? I ordered mine August 2010. My confirmation says my preorder is from the second batch.

You are a "classic" pre-orderer from the second batch.

(2) Also, II see posts of people that ordered from Craig's shop. I ordered from openpandora.org and got my order confirmation from someone named Jacquelyn.

So, you ordered from Craig's shop (OpenPandora LTD.) in the UK.

You are a "classic" pre-orderer from the second batch.

So, you ordered from Craig's shop (OpenPandora LTD.) in the UK.

Thanks for clarifying that for me! :)

this is fast becomming one of those urban myths that wont die...... there never was an upgrade to the CPU....its all rumour and speculation that has taken on a life of its own.

Just for verification Purposes:

openPandora.org = Classic Preorder (1st or 2nd)

openPandora.de = "New" Preorder (Higher cost, 'quicker' queue?)

Just for verification Purposes:

openPandora.org = Classic Preorder (1st or 2nd)

openPandora.de = "New" Preorder (Higher cost, 'quicker' queue?)

Um, nope, the domains don't have anything to do with it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Numbers numbers numbers, pleas ED provide a count of how many orders waiting and how many are shipped (on the old stats site).

Hi guys,

Wow.

How I love to be part of this community. What ED just said is exactly how I would feel and what I would do, if I was in his position. Ethics and doing what is right is placed ahead of the profit motive. This is precisely the reason why I am not asking for a refund.

I second every word.

what you wrote here, opened my eyes for another (positive!) aspect of the problems this project had with delays and all that:

It made the community a better one.

Why?

People who think differently -- more profit-oriented, more egocentric, with different values -- have been filtered out by those problems. They canceled their orders. What remains is a community which really deserves this name.

It is only because of our shared values that this project has not died. We don't expect ED and Craig to be Mother Theresa. They still have to make ends meet and this is what the Rebirth project is about. They may disagree about how much LTD should pay GmbH for each new unit, but both want the project to survive and both stated that the pre-orders will be delivered, so I know they will work something out. They also know that we are holding to our word and not pulling out, and we are even paying extra, if we can, for a small speed-up. This relationship of trust is fairly uncommon and I cherish it very much.

Agreed!

What OP team did, was very, very brave, and they DESERVE a profit from this project. I don't know how much profit they really make, but it can't be much. Given all the time and money invested it has to be too little profit compared with what they "deserve" (means: should get as a reimbursement) for the work.

Thankfully they don't demand what they deserve. Otherwise the project would be dead now, or would never have been started.

It's a project mainly driven by passion. You can see this in every of ED's videos or when talking to ED personally.

And that's why I think I will always try my best to support this project.

I also know and drive such projects (in much smaller magnitudes, though.) E.g. supporting the old HP MS-DOS Palmtops with repairs, upgrades and software development is not everything but a lucrative market nowadays. The more frustrating it gets, e.g. due to spare parts getting very rare for the HPs, the more often I think I should simply quit doing this. But it's passion for that stuff, which makes me continue.

This may have started as a bunch of geeks trying to make or acquire a unique pocket PC for gaming or for work (my case), but the trials and tribulations of the project refined the OP community into something much bigger and stronger, which I hope will last well into the 2nd and 3rd generation of this machine.

Let's all do our best!

My part -- besides development and porting of software, which I already do -- will be to promote the Pandora, once it is available "in real-time", i.e. "order today and get it tomorrow" ;-], as a very capable Linux micro PC, for general purposes as well as for very special private or business applications.

I know that it will be hard to promote it that way, competing with tablets and UMPCs, but it will have its niche, as the HP Palmtops also still have their niche, not only for people with a passion for such technology, but also for professionals, recognizing the power of the device and its advantages compared to the modern "quick-and-cheap" hardware and -- especially -- software solutions.

Another part will be suggesting and discussing improvements for the next generation of the Pandora.

From an old Palmtopper's perspective, I have a quite a lot of experience with small user interfaces (i.e. keyboards and screens, as well as software GUI design), and there is some room for improvements there to make the Pandora an even better tool for writing and working.

Daniel

What OP team did, was very, very brave, and they EARN a profit from this project.

I also very very appreciate, what the OP Team did and is still doing. In a time where everyone runs after a hype like sheeps, it's good to have some people, who produce and use alternatives.

I personally don't like touch-screen driven mobile computers. I always hear some statements like, "Why do you not buy an iPad/iPhone/etc. It's better, faster, blah, blah...". When I answer, "I like to have computers with a real keyboard, like my old Zaurus SL-5500 or the Pandora. Which I can program by myself.", those people look at me in a way which tells me they are thinking, what a poor fool I must be.

But I am proud to be someone who does not run after every hype and I am happy to know, here in this forum are people like me. People who want to be creative with their Pandoras, people who program, port and use this remarkable hardware themself. And don't obey to the App-Store-Dictate.

So I would like to thank all OP-team members and the users who are supporting this project with their money and patience.

But nevertheless I am eager to have my Pandora and to be patience is currently a torture :)

What OP team did, was very, very brave, and they EARN a profit from this project.

I also very very appreciate, what the OP Team did and is still doing. In a time where everyone runs after a hype like sheeps, it's good to have some people, who produce and use alternatives.

I personally don't like touch-screen driven mobile computers. I always hear some statements like, "Why do you not buy an iPad/iPhone/etc. It's better, faster, blah, blah...". When I answer, "I like to have computers with a real keyboard, like my old Zaurus SL-5500 or the Pandora. Which I can program by myself.", those people look at me in a way which tells me they are thinking, what a poor fool I must be.

But I am proud to be someone who does not run after every hype and I am happy to know, here in this forum are people like me. People who want to be creative with their Pandoras, people who program, port and use this remarkable hardware themself. And don't obey to the App-Store-Dictate.

So I would like to thank all OP-team members and the users who are supporting this project with their money and patience.

But nevertheless I am eager to have my Pandora and to be patience is currently a torture :)

quote++

Not a lot of smartphones will have a respected homebrew scene four years after release, just being on the order queue is part of geek legend B)

Indeed. Lots of wise words. I agree whole-heartedly.

hmc, i think you mean "deserve" instead of "earn".

Indeed. Lots of wise words. I agree whole-heartedly.

hmc, i think you mean "deserve" instead of "earn".

yes, I guess you are right.

Will change the word in my posting, so that people will understand it correctly.

Thanks!

I'm not a native English speaker, so it's sometimes hard to find the right nuance in wording.

Daniel

Switching an order to Ed will achieve nothing but slowing down your delivery date (you will also have to pay the full $500).

Back