How Would You Describe The Gp2x...

fredster83

Still Fresh
Many people now see me playing my GP2X in public and ask me what the heck is that thing, looks like a cheap PSP knockoff!

Resisting the urge to unleash some extreme kung-fu moves, I try my best to explain what it is and does, but usually just comes out as an unimpressive "well, um... it plays old games..."

So, how would you describe the GP2X to someone who's never heard of it before in just a couple, snappy & interesting sentences?

I tell people it is a personal entertainment player. It plays movies and music and is an open platform that allows people to write software (such as games) for it. It's like a PSP but better :)

fredster83 said:
Many people now see me playing my GP2X in public and ask me what the heck is that thing, looks like a cheap PSP knockoff!

Resisting the urge to unleash some extreme kung-fu moves, I try my best to explain what it is and does, but usually just comes out as an unimpressive "well, um... it plays old games..."

So, how would you describe the GP2X to someone who's never heard of it before in just a couple, snappy & interesting sentences?

Its not possible....

The GP2x cannot be described in a few sentences... but you could start with, it is a handheld multimedia machine that plays audio, video and can emulate but not limited to... Arcade, Neo Geo, NES, SNES, Genesis and PSP games. And unlike most handhelds... you have dozens (if not hundreds) of games on your device.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOOT! (first post)

I get stuck in that too.
A good one is always: This, Jim, is something you can only dream of having :p

Ask them what a PSP is, and whatever they say, say "yeah, like that." This will confuse them enough to leave you alone.

Or, tell them it's an iPhone.

My usual replay is "if you think this is a PSP clone, then you my friend, are a n00b!" Followed by rambling about how I hate Sony, and then usually end up getting into a rant about stupid Blu-Ray (I love muslix64 DRM indeed) and stuff, so like, if a none PSP fan asks me simply "what is that?" I reply "Its a GP2X, a totally open handheld, that is like, cool. Its the best handheld I have ever owned, and stuff, and the guys that program for it are guys like you and me (except maybe smarter)"

I get this question all the time, mainly because people can only recognize what they see off the TV <_<
If i'm in a good mood, i'll ask them to name a classic game, and when they answer "Sonic", I wave the hand held in their face.

When I first got mine I talked about movies and emulators. No one seemed that interested. When I showed them the thing the reaction was quite different. Everybody LOVED the emulators. Everybody was wow-ed by the quality of the movies.

I think you need to see it in action to appreciate it.

I just tell them it's like a PSP only cheaper and for nerds :)

BTW, there's a lot of hate against Sony and Nintendo handhelds in this forum. There's no need to act like asshats. The NDS and PSP can do things the GP2X could never dream of and vice-versa. The quicker that's accepted the better.

if you think this is a PSP clone, then you my friend, are a n00b!

I'm a proper GP2X nerd, but if you talk to normal people like that, they just think you're either an idiot or a snob. Not worth it. There isn't a decent kind of zealot.

Chick in my office was like ohh cool you got Street Fighter on your PSP. I looked at her and said nooo its a not a PSP. Then told her the running joke in the community about how people get approached about "their cool PSP" and how they have to explain wth it is :p :D

Linux Entertainment Handheld. PSP can't dream of running anything OS-like.

P-J said:
I just tell them it's like a PSP only cheaper and for nerds :)
+1, I like that.

Just say;

"It's a geek handheld, like a PSP but much betterer!"

Then be all elusive and go back to playing.

Ripster said:
fredster83 said:

Its not possible....

The GP2x cannot be described in a few sentences... but you could start with, it is a handheld multimedia machine that plays audio, video and can emulate but not limited to... Arcade, Neo Geo, NES, SNES, Genesis and PS1 games. And unlike most handhelds... you have dozens (if not hundreds) of games on your device.

FIXED

Back