How Much Would You Pay For A D-pad Pre-modded Gp2x?

DaveC

Internal Development
As you know I have made some QD D-pad mod kits for the GP2X.

I have sent a couple of kits to "beta testers" that I e-mailed and they responded that they would buy it. Unfortunatly the response from the people that I offered the kits too has been dismal. The messages were either ignored completely or I got a polite "no-thanks"

So far one person (Pepone) has performed the mod and he says that he likes it alot, and it is far better than the lame stick. That is it as far as those other than me that completed the mod and gave feedback.

I can only guess the reasons to be one of the following:

1) They are happy with the current stick.

2) The mod is too expensive ($15.00-$20.00).

3) They are unsure if my mod is any good.

4) They lack the skills/tools/courage/time to go butchering up their GP2X.

So what I was wondering was if I just sold pre-modded GP2Xs how much would you pay? That would solve item 4. Honest answers please. The kit costs me about $15.00 in parts (QG pad, custom made PCBs, laser cut template, mounting pins) and doesn't include any of my time. I can get some GP2Xs from a store by me but they are around $190-$200. When you do the math you will see that it can be expensive to do it and that is just break even. So I was wondering what the most someone would pay. If not much more than the part costs it is obviously not worth while.

The best thing is if they could be pre modded by Craig, or Evil Dragon's shop. I received a little interest from them but nothing definate.

So do you think pre-modding is worth while, or just stick to the kit solution?

Shikaku posted on Sep 24 2006 at 08:37 PM said:
A service would be a lot better... but that might cost a lot =/

Yeah shipping both ways, the cost of the kit, and the fact that I would be liable if their GP2X died during surgery, pretty much rules that out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since mine is broken right now, I'd pay $200.

Edit:

Yeah shipping both ways, the cost of the kit, and the fact that I would be liable if their GP2X died during surgery, pretty much rules that out.

Ya, shipping for my GP2X to get fixed by ED was WAY to much.

But I'm way too poor, so i'd have to wait a couple months :(

Don't you guys realize that paying for a D-pad mod would just bump the overall price of your GP2X? It's more of a fix than a mod because the D-pad would be used to make the GP2X a little more functional, not more aesthetically pleasing.

BTW DaveC where in Illinois do you live?

JaqMs posted on Sep 24 2006 at 03:58 PM said:
Don't you guys realize that paying for a D-pad mod would just bump the overall price of your GP2X? It's more of a fix than a mod because the D-pad would be used to make the GP2X a little more functional, not more aesthetically pleasing.

BTW DaveC where in Illinois do you live?

Ya, Bacteria's mod which was virtualy free was and on my "to do" list.

Hmm, Illinois! That's really cheap USPS shipping from Minnesota!

I think it would be best if you stick to just selling the selfmod kits (the price sounds fine too, btw. If you got any left I would be interested).
But maybe some website or post in this forum explaining just how easy it is to "selfmod" would be nice. Step by step with pictures... right now there have been only pictures of prototypes etc and than a long time nothing... so maybe there is just too little information about your mod to be interested in it.

If either ED or CraigiX (or anyone else) wants to sell preemodded units than can just buy the kit and perform the mod, but they got the GP2X already in their store and don't need to worry about buying them first etc.

The following is my honest opinion, and what my point of view on this issue is.

DaveC posted on Sep 24 2006 at 04:35 PM said:
1) They are happy with the current stick.
I wouldn't say I'm completely happy with it (Sensible Socccer is unplayable), but for most things it's all right. On one hand the GP32's stick was quicker and more precise, but this one doesn't click. :D

2) The mod is too expensive ($15.00-$20.00).
Borderline too-expensive for me. If this was a sure-fire thing, I'd probably get it, but so far I feel that my investment in GP2X hardware came to an end. I bought the console, a reader, and two SD cards, that's enough for this year.

3) They are unsure if my mod is any good.
Frankly I am a little unsure. More photos and footage of it in action would definitely change that though.

4) They lack the skills/tools/courage/time to go butchering up their GP2X.
I also lack the time and will, as well as the confidence to see if my skills are good or not.

- Alex

I'm honestly used to the stick, especially since I've been using my wife's DaveC cap ... it was made slightly smaller in diameter than the one I had and is a perfect fit for my thumb.

I would buy a kit though, to mod my first edition unit, if one were available.

Because of the stick I kinda lost interest in my GP2X for the longest time. But recently I've started using it again. Well at least occasionally...because unfortunately the stick problem is ever present... <_<

So I would definately buy a kit...but my problem is your 4th reason. I'm just not sure that I have the skills to do it. Some step by step information with pictures to look at would definately be nice. Give us a clue about the needed skills involved. But maybe you have guide somewhere already? I haven't read these forums in a while. Time to use the search function :p

DaveC posted on Sep 24 2006 at 04:39 PM said:
Shikaku posted on Sep 24 2006 at 08:37 PM said:
A service would be a lot better... but that might cost a lot =/
the fact that I would be liable if their GP2X died during surgery

Online Xbox/PS2 modders are not liable if the machine dies when they attempt the mod....

Shikaku posted on Sep 24 2006 at 04:37 PM said:
Online Xbox/PS2 modders are not liable if the machine dies when they attempt the mod....

Are you kidding? The entire reason people pay for "professionals" to do mods is so that their expensive electronics don't get bricked during the process. I've been into console scenes in the past, and I've never seen any legitimate modder do business in the way you describe.

How would you respond if you went to pickup your car from a tire change and found out that they bent the rear axle? "It was my fault for trusting these guys"? It's no different on the web.

i'm very interested in a kit but i didn't know one was ready! i guess i fall into cat 3 of "unsure if my mod is any good" ... can you please provide more information on it? reports frome beta testers/pepone/etc?

your (daveC) cap was a marked improvement over the original. if i can get some dpad action going on for my mk1 (especially if it retains center push) i'd be a happy camper!

Paradox posted on Sep 24 2006 at 10:14 PM said:
depends what it looks like.

Looks like this:

dpadmodkit.jpg

@ Starpause, sorry no center push. If you want to add one it is up to the modder. You can add one if you want.

thanks for the fast reply daveC! i saw it after i searched the board to see what i'd missed on this joystick mod and i see there was a bit of a mess w/ raydek going AWOL & unsure quantities of the QD pads.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...=30970&st=0

did you ever find a source of QD pads? what exactly does the mod come with (everything you see here/need)? can you provide details on how to include a center push? what is the price?

my interest is sparked. i've had my gp2x opened up for fixing the headphone socket and dremeled away the plastic around that same socket so i could plug my grados in.

now if only someone could figure out a way to make the gp2x visible in sunlight ... holy god the washout is terrible! got to play the thing in a cave or else (at least the mk1, is this fixed in later editions??).

I have found 50 more QD pads so that should allow for a few more mods to be done. I have been trying to build up some inventory before making the kits available to the "masses"

I have sent out a couple to developers and so far I have only received feedback from Pepone which was positive.

The mod comes with everything you see in the pic except the GP2X of course.

It is $20.00 usd, devs can ask about the dev discount (part of my "donation" for them making the scene what it is). Sorry if it is too much but supply is limited. I may make cheaper in the future.

Back