How Much Would Emulators Cost?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by PiratSS, Nov 16, 2005.

1. trooper

trooper Trooper`s watching you !!!

Don`t even go there, Look at the site you are on, And the console`s it is dedecated too, One of their main uses is emulation. Do you think everyone here own`s the necessary hardware to transfer every cartrage or disk image they are likely to use ?. If so, You obviously need to open your eyes alot wider that they currently are.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2015
  2. PiratSS

PiratSS Still Fresh

That's right, I just remember that you can download the games you own :) Thanks.

What about emulators? Someone mentioned these will be free? That would be quite awesome.

3. PiratSS

PiratSS Still Fresh

Nope, you are right, not everyone has the proper hardware to transfer roms. I just thought that you couldn't use the roms you download off the net, as they are for windows. If you can download the roms in the same format, then we won't really need to transfer the roms onto our computers.

4. RoboJoe32

RoboJoe32 Member

Emus and ports and damn near everything on the GP32 was free, sans maybe 2 games coded from scratch as homebrew. I'm pretty much expecting the same on the GP2X. (Although I would gladly donate out of my own free will(and pockets) if fullspeed SNES/playable Neo Geo arrived.)

5. davey g

davey g Bitches and hos

Ignore him, he's trying to be funny.

6. trooper

trooper Trooper`s watching you !!!

Yep! A rom is a rom, So you can use your existing ones, Or the downloaded ones.

Trooper

7. iignotus

iignotus The one and only

You are new. Very new. VERY new. Don't say you're not, it just makes you look like a lying ass.

ROMs are just the data in a cartridge. They have nothing to do with operating systems, only consoles.

8. gaterooze

gaterooze Coltrane Sundia

He's extracting the Michael.

And doing pretty well :lol:

9. PiratSS

PiratSS Still Fresh

You can think whatever ;) I didn't think that gp2x had enough power to process normal rom dumps and would require redumping them with some sort of optimizaiton just for the system.

10. craigix

craigix Mega GP Mania

What has that got to do with the hundreds (thousands) of games/roms released into the public domain for the amiga, ST, C64, Spectrum, GBC etc?

-Craig

11. RoboJoe32

RoboJoe32 Member

Yep, exact data off the cart, which bugs me to death when some anti-rom 'activists' go "IT'S NOT ACTUALLY THE ORIGINAL GAME!" :blink: (Gamefaqs was notorious for these types of people, who probably had a gig of music before napster crashed :p .)

12. PiratSS

PiratSS Still Fresh

It's just saying that it's still illegal even though some people claim it to be totally abandonware'd by now.

13. Mr Doctor

Mr Doctor Member

*arfles*

14. PiratSS

PiratSS Still Fresh

You probably meant to say rifles.

15. nubie

nubie Recovering Jerk-A-Holic

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I am reallly cornfusedd??

What has DrMD been doing all this time at 60mhz on the gp32?

I guess it must have some super rom

(or is that romz 4 th3 733t haxorz warez heer?)
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

16. PiratSS

PiratSS Still Fresh

Sorry, I don't own gp32 and never tried DrMD. I've heard a lot of good things about that emulator however :)

17. nubie

nubie Recovering Jerk-A-Holic

Yes, DrMD uses the rom dumped straight from the cartridges, just like every other emulator.

emulating is reproducing the hardware of the game system on another system in software so that it can use the same software (aka roms) of the original.

18. Jurrasic

Jurrasic Member

Methinks people here get trolled FAR too easily...

19. OrR

OrR Corporate games suck.

Yeah, maybe he is new but why are so many people behaving like assholes? :huh:

Emulators are completely legal. They can be sold. However, many of the emulators on the GP2X will be based on availiable open source emulators and often the license of these open source emulators forbids everyone, who uses parts of them, to sell the program. Even emulators written from scratch will likely be free on the GP2X since people are not used to paying for emulators but an emulator could in theory be sold for money.

About Roms: This is a little difficult. It is almost always legal to get a copying device and transfer the rom from the original cartridge to your computer. This might not be legal if you are breaking a copyright protection. Downloading a rom of a game that you own in physical form might be legal in some countries, I don't know. However, nobody really cares about the legality much here since it is obviously ethically not a problem. The probability that you will get in trouble for it is also very close to zero.
    Now about downloading roms of games that you don't own, this is only legal if the game has officially been released for free, obviously.
    Posting links to roms that have not been released for free is forbidden on this forum since it might make people download a game they don't own illegally.
    Roms are not bound to one operating system or emulator most of the time. They will work on all emulators of the respectable system in most cases.

20. Mr Doctor

Mr Doctor Member

Search on ebay for a multicart reader. Its like one of those USB readers for memory cards, but takes snes, nes, MS, MS, GB and GBC carts. *nods*