How Much Would You Pay For A D-pad Pre-modded Gp2x?

With rules like those, I doubt any real marketable product that could make back $5,000 for GPH will be entered. Even if you sold it at $30 a copy, that's 166 copies to make your money back. $5,000 could've made a lot of new faceplates and some nice cheap D-Pads (these things would cost less than the stick, in all likelihood.)

Epicenter posted on Sep 26 2006 at 03:00 PM said:
GPH not installing D-Pads on future machines, to me, is just sheer irresponsibility, poor planning, and demonstration of a complete lack of understanding of how to do business in the game industry, or even in a niche market like the GP32's before it.

I don't understand their stubborness about that either. All it would take is some carbon rubber membrane switches like they make for the 4 buttons *anyway*, a small modification to the mold, and a cheapo $ .02 hunk of plastic in the shape of a pad. They would sell ALOT more units and hold the attention of the owners that have them with a d-pad.

Please don't tell me about patents either :rolleyes: If that were true than the only consoles made today with d-pads would only be from Nintendo ;) OMFG I just realized I cant sell my QD mods!! Nintendo is gonna SUE me, I am so scared.. Sorry guys no pads for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in Seoul to see GPH quite soon. The Dpad issue is something we will be talking about, however there are many more money related concerns to talk about first.

Dave, i've emailed you.

Ummm I was reading through and could of sworn you said it doesnt Push In... ... ... ... wouldnt that kind of be like idk maybe an issue??

mayb it will be an idk issue kind of like mayb yes it is an issue idk kinda yea

craigix posted on Sep 27 2006 at 06:47 PM said:
I am in Seoul to see GPH quite soon. The Dpad issue is something we will be talking about, however there are many more money related concerns to talk about first.

craigix got Seoul!

...>.>;; *disappears*

Lupin posted on Sep 27 2006 at 06:02 PM said:
Ummm I was reading through and could of sworn you said it doesnt Push In... ... ... ... wouldnt that kind of be like idk maybe an issue??

Maybe but what needs it now?

I don't know of many apps that use that stupid push. It ruins the joystick anyway.

Well, since I had to send my review unit back to the company that provided it(they failed to mention prior to shipping that I had to return it...), I may be in the market for a new GP2x in the next couple of months, and it would be nice to have the option to have it pre-modded when I buy it. I simply don't have the means to do the mod myself. I think the most I could realistically hope to spend would be $250, but of course, cheaper is better.

DaveC posted on Sep 28 2006 at 03:05 AM said:
Lupin posted on Sep 27 2006 at 06:02 PM said:

Maybe but what needs it now?

I don't know of many apps that use that stupid push. It ruins the joystick anyway.
Some games do really need centre-push. If Wolfenstein 3D (sorry, I know it is just one game, but I probably spend a third of my GP2x play time on it!) didn't have centre-push, you couldn't save a game. I think other ported games like Doom and Hexen rely on it too, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, it's no big deal, any push to connect switch mounted anywhere on the GP2x case and wired to the back of the joystick pins will do the job. It isn't an issue, and shouldn't make any difference to your kit DaveC - perhaps you might like to sell one in your kit (<$1 extra would cover it).

pretty much all emus (SNES PSX NES) Duke Nukem uses it for me lets see... I guess thats it for what I have. But those are some big name titles that people sometimes (like me) buy the GP2X for. And really, the GP2X isnt full of extra buttons. Really doesnt make a lot of since to take away one...

MiL0 posted on Oct 20 2006 at 01:21 PM said:
anymore news on this?

seconded,...

I've got cash just burning a hole in me pocket and a really nasty dimple in me 'stick' thumb. :)

id like to do this mod,
id also like another button for the center push near the volume controls it would have to be a proper button though and have a new name (as calling it the center push would just be weird)

if we could get premade frontcases for the 2x with all the dpad stuff in ready to wire up, id do it in a flash without hesitation, (im thinking people might not want to cut their 2x up and then not be able to go back to the jstick if it goes wrong :S) now where to get the front of the 2x...

vossy posted on Sep 25 2006 at 10:40 PM said:
id buy the kit if it gaurentees to fix the deadzone problem. i sometimes have to press a direction 3 times before it does anything.
That's the same thing that happens with my stick (mk2). Tends to ruin most of the games that I try to play :(
I'd need to buy the dremel bit & for some reason I don't seem to have one single screwdriver the right size to open my 2x??
Looks like it will be quite easy to do & leave the unit in a professional state, so count me in when I get the coin together :D

Back