How Much Would You Pay For A D-pad Pre-modded Gp2x?

I'd buy it in an instant DaveC. Just post a link to your paypal account and I'll send the funds. Shouldn't be too bad shipping from Illinois to Ohio. Maybe if you were to premod or offer a service, you could do it for the US only, b/c it would be a bit unrealistic to pay 20-25 USD plus shippping back and forth across the pond.

Reap

pepone posted on Sep 25 2006 at 04:17 AM said:
For the center push, I've put a small switch (from an old PS2 mouse) behind the gp2x (like a N64 Z button), it's really easy to do.
I can try to make some photo, but my cam is crap, and it will be blurry as hell.

Dave really made a great work.

cool, even if they were blurry i'd like to see pictures of your center push solution!

edit: daveC, could you put the instructions online? it would be nice to see the process ahead of time, judge difficulty, see how the centerpush could be worked in, etc. i've got web space if you need it.

edit2: does anyone know of applications which require the center push?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd maybe interested, but I'd need to know how much
it would cost for shipping to canada ??

Thank
paxl

I have a MK2, and the current joystick is nice, however I seem to get issues with the diagonals, which a D-Pad would surely resolve. I was under the impression that the joystick was analgoue input when I first got my 2X, but it seems this is not the case, it's just like a ring of buttons...... De-soldering the original thing may proove to be a problem for me, as my soldering iron has no tip, I just shove a load of wire in its hole, tighten the bolt and use that XD. I suppose I could go all the way out, and buy a new tip for it (or a new iron maybe.) if it's needed.

Anyway, after some careful thinking, I'd gladly buy a kit from you. I'm in the UK, so I'm guessing postage would be about $6, and I can easily afford $26.

I think people are simply too scared of cutting holes in their GP2X. I'd love to do the mod, but I'd not be happy doing it without the right tool for cutting the circle for the D-Pad. It'd be good if there was details of what you could use to make the circle?

I'd happily pay $30 for someone to fit a D-Pad on mine though. My only issue would be postage to the states. Would prob be easier to just pay for the hole to be cut so the front would be the only bit needing sent. Then I could fit the mod myself.

Just seen the actual pics, I've not been on the ball really as the last time I saw this it wasn't quite finished. Am I right to assume that the wee metal bit at the bottom of that pic is for providing the right size of circle, or does it also cut the circle?

since I don't have a GP2X (yet), I would either buy a d-pad modded one or the mod kit itself. The option of having the center push-down would be nice. BTW quality looking mod! .... Damn I need a gp2x ..

air-can posted on Sep 25 2006 at 07:51 PM said:
I think people are simply too scared of cutting holes in their GP2X. I'd love to do the mod, but I'd not be happy doing it without the right tool for cutting the circle for the D-Pad. It'd be good if there was details of what you could use to make the circle?

I'd happily pay $30 for someone to fit a D-Pad on mine though. My only issue would be postage to the states. Would prob be easier to just pay for the hole to be cut so the front would be the only bit needing sent. Then I could fit the mod myself.

Just seen the actual pics, I've not been on the ball really as the last time I saw this it wasn't quite finished. Am I right to assume that the wee metal bit at the bottom of that pic is for providing the right size of circle, or does it also cut the circle?
The steel wheel is used as a template to cut the hole. I cut it with a simple half round file.
The wheel help a lot, it was easy to get a perfect result.

Forgive me for being ignorant, I've been building arcade cabinets for a while and i've found the best contact for any gaming control are microswitch's.

Could some form of sub-miniture microswith be used to make the device any better, if not tell me to shut up and no more shall ever be mentioned.

They just seem perfect, many have guarentees of up to 1million button presses and more, and they sound really cool when you press them

I actually looked into it, and it could be done. It would just be more complicated.

The guy who makes consoles portable (Ben Heck?) uses 6mm x 6mm tactile switches from mouser.com in his mods. You'd have to make your own PCB and fit it all in the 2x.

DaveC's kit takes all the guess work and headaches out of the process.

id buy the kit if it gaurentees to fix the deadzone problem. i sometimes have to press a direction 3 times before it does anything.

Not realizing you hadn't already made the kit I PM'd you about buying one...so yeah, my answer would be to stick with the kit, seeming as most people already have a gp2x, and that if someone started to premod and sell them you'd probably run out of them quick...

If i was going to buy this console pre-modded, I'd pay an extra 25-30USD to have it installed...I think it'd be worth it...I'd want an option for center push though, even if it was a seperate button. This way all games/applications would still be compatible...

Ok I guess the pre-modded ones won't fly for the future. I do have a few old unused M1s laying around though (don't ask long story). I may mod those and sell on e-bay or something. After that maybe Evil Dragon can do mods.

I don't have the QD pads yet as they are supposedly comming in the post but I can't count my pads before they arrive. So I really don't have enough yet. I have been sending a couple on beta test but only received one response (Pepone) so far.

To answer some questions about the kit:

It does come with instructions.

Center push can be added by any kind of switch but I don't have those in the kit.

Yes, it does require some tools and skills, it is not the mod for novices or those that are "all thumbs".

No video sorry, I have no way to do that.

Tools needed:

Phillips screwdriver.
Fine tipped low-wattage soldering iron.
Solder.
Solder removal tool such as solder sucker or de-soldering braid.
“Dremel” type rotary tool with long burr (recommended), or rat tail file.
Small amount of 5-minute epoxy glue (no super glue).
Strong tape.
Stiff wire “poker”

The instructions could be improved with pics as of now it is just text. Need a little time to finish.

To those asking to buy kits it is not quite yet ready for "prime time". When it is I will post something. It may be that kits will be only sold through stores like Evil Dragon's shop etc. I am waiting for something definate there.

Im from sweden so i wouldnt want to send the gp2x with mail and get it modded, but i would gladly pay up to 250usd for a new premodded version if i lost mine.

I'd pay a little more than retail price, maybe $200 if retail was $170 or so. But it should not be necessary at all. If GPH has not turned a profit as Craig claims, and has no money to spend, how are they making these pointless new 'docking station' style devices, or the Breakout boards? Are they just creating money with magic, but it can only be used on useless investments like repainted GP2X units or engineering-disaster caseless breakout devices that very few people, compared to the number that are buying GP2X units, are purchasing? Then wasting more money building one in a case that is not even the same PCB and having to design a whole new one? It's all nonsense. GPH not installing D-Pads on future machines, to me, is just sheer irresponsibility, poor planning, and demonstration of a complete lack of understanding of how to do business in the game industry, or even in a niche market like the GP32's before it.

I'll give you that. But at the end of the day, the console built with drug money can still work better than the one that's made with 'honest' money, but isn't as good a product. This isn't the case with the Gizmondo/GP2X, but you get my point.

Not to mention that GPH is willing to throw away over $5000 for a homebrew/commercial game contest that is ending in 4 days...(I think)...

JaqMs posted on Sep 26 2006 at 11:38 PM said:
Not to mention that GPH is willing to throw away over $5000 for a homebrew/commercial game contest that is ending in 4 days...(I think)...
Yes, I must say this stuck me as wierd. Why say you have no money to spend on making a better GP2x (ie new cases, inc D-pad) and at the same time fritter (yes, fritter) $5000 on a contest?

bacteria posted on Sep 26 2006 at 06:56 PM said:
JaqMs posted on Sep 26 2006 at 11:38 PM said:
Yes, I must say this stuck me as wierd. Why say you have no money to spend on making a better GP2x (ie new cases, inc D-pad) and at the same time fritter (yes, fritter) $5000 on a contest?

I don't know the rules that well but I think if you enter it in the contest you can not make money off your entry except through them..not 100% on that one though. I wouldnt call it fritter.

Back