How to send/receive SMS?

Silent-Hunter

Hardcore Member
Phone calls may be a bit harder due to involving sound, but how would I go about using something like Minicom to receive SMS? I think I know how to send an SMS, but how would I receive one? Does Minicom have some sort of monitor mode?

echo "Message" | sms_command -n 15556781234

Last edited by a moderator:
Pyra isnt the first linux device with phone functionality, I'm sure there's existing infrastructure that can be used rather than kludging something together in shellscript and zenity...

Pyra isnt the first linux device with phone functionality, I'm sure there's existing infrastructure that can be used rather than kludging something together in shellscript and zenity...

Not saying I've exhausted the t'interwebs, but I've actually had no luck finding anything - which did surprise me.

There's KDE's Kontact - but that's send-only

https://userbase.kde.org/Kontact/SMS

Well what about a vim plugin? Got to think about the demographic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all! Eventually we should have a Pidgin plugin or something, as my other thread mentions.

A quick axi-cache search in debian (stretch, not jessie) gives a few interesting results (which I haven't tried)

* wammu - GTK application to control your mobile phone
* smstools - SMS server tools for GSM modems
* kannel - WAP and SMS gateway

the latter are meant for servers, but if one of them is lightweight enough maybe it can be used to interface with some IM client.

I used Gammu/Wammu from my Pandebian install on the Pandora with a 3G stick. I don't believe I was able to get it to regularly check for new SMS, but both sending and manually updating the received messages worked fine.

Back