Pyra as a Phone

It would probably make more sense to put this into a thick battery cover on the bottom instead. You would have to fit the camera along with an additional microphone and speaker inside and the somehow hook it up to the main device (perhaps wireless or via an external USB plug). Major downside would be that the total becomes really thick that way.

All we have to do is to make the lid thicker and add an additional cable/lines to the LCD Cable so we can fit a camera inside. But this would make the device a lot thicker the way it is now.

All we have to do is to make the lid thicker and add an additional cable/lines to the LCD Cable so we can fit a camera inside. But this would make the device a lot thicker the way it is now.

You may have missed it - but I solved this. Don't make the lid thicker, instead add a side-car to it. When folded, that side-car takes up space beside the base/keyboard section. Yes, this would add a CM or two to the width of the folded Pyra, but not change the dimensions while open and should retain pocketability. Make side cars on both sides and it could do 3D cameras in both directions - the lenses would even be near enough to normal pupil distances to not make it too weird.

Here is the visualization of the attachable USB Camera.
(5000 Hours in MS PAINT - Achievement Unlocked!)

m927vs.jpg
t

This is actually not that far fetched, I have a couple of http://www.e-consystems.com/UltraHD-USB-Camera.asp
Once I get my Pyra, I'll test on making some sort of female to female USB3 OTG adaptor, quite a nice idea!

Nice, but that camera mod is 30mm whichever way you hold it, and with the Pyra only being 32mm thick, you're going to conflict with the hinge and/or the desk you've put your Pyra on in all likelihood.

Nice, but that camera mod is 30mm whichever way you hold it, and with the Pyra only being 32mm thick, you're going to conflict with the hinge and/or the desk you've put your Pyra on in all likelihood.
Actually, I was thinking on making a 3D printed shell for it, and adding a rotative male micro usb connector (so I could fold it and have the module be a tiny cube), I think if placed correctly It won't conflict with the lid. For the desktop I don't care that much, I just want to take pictures of landscapes I see when biking ;)

The lens comes off. I would love to put duct tape over a lensless one and poke a hole in it with a sewing needle. Pinhole cameras are cool.

One step at a time :) , just ordered the micro usb 3.0 male pcb connectors :D (kinda hard to find btw...)
If you are actually going to make a tiny usb camera, then that is awesome!

Looking forward to see what you will do with this. If the end-result is good then I'll gladly purchase one as well.

Just to be clear, I'll make the design of such camera. I'll release the 3D model for the casing, and PCB Gerber for the adaptor board. I'l probably make a tiny run of 10 populated boards or so (Student budget, sorry). I could do more after I sell the first boards though. You'll have to get the camera module (and possibly the lense) as this is the most expensive part and I don't have the budget to make a stock of it (again Student budget :( )

Yeah, Pyra is going to be best phablet/handheld/phone.
I would like cameras inside, they don't need to be top class.
front one, used mainly for conferencing needs to be 1MP-2MP (720p-1080p) since it have to be displayed on screen on other side. Nothing more than 5MP is needed for front cam.
back cam should be anyway better since it is the one thought seriously - 12MP-20MP is really much - you can print them with great density, but current TVs are up to 4K (8MP) so 12MP is more than most of people practically want (separate from some Hipsters who wants tell "hey look I have 25MP camera in my phone look here (on phone screen) on my photos").

as for me more than I want is to stretch Pyra horizontally and fit in earned space on the back two 5MP cameras paired to be able to make 3D. I think if we do this there is no need to increase thickness, but for me adding 2-3mm is no problem. Well if I am going to make Pyra not upgraded for loooooong time I would use exactly 8MP ones, fast enough to make video (4K stereoscopic video recoding - YAY!)

I prefer Pyra over GPD Win, because I would be able to make my N900 rest, since Pyra have Phone Calling support (in Mobile version). For CPU board I prefer something 64bit but it's another story. I would buy Pyra once they drop a bit on price or made AMD ZEN CPU-Board for Pyra.

then I may live without it, I prefer to use All-in-Box device.
Theoretically I could use GPD Win with LTE USB Stick, but I prefer Pyra Mobile.
I rarely make phtos with N900. But it would be cooler to fit 8MP cameras, and possible without losing on format.
So please just consider cameras, but it isn't a blocker for me if you don't.

As time passes USB cams becomes more smaller, so they could just be clipped to the Pyra

then I may live without it, I prefer to use All-in-Box device.
Theoretically I could use GPD Win with LTE USB Stick, but I prefer Pyra Mobile.
I rarely make phtos with N900. But it would be cooler to fit 8MP cameras, and possible without losing on format.
So please just consider cameras, but it isn't a blocker for me if you don't.
Many people in the community did not want any camera on the Pyra, and ED aggreed with this.
You can look at the threads on the board, we have been researching solutions. No great option so far.

yeah but more practical would be built-in cameras (hopefully replaceable, socketed ones). and once Pyra is going to be a bit bulky and 5MP camera can get only a bit more place than USB full size port, I think cameras would fit anyway. And for doing stereoscopic photos/videos the cams have to be the same angle and specified distance. Sorry for pushing it, but why not to include camera or two on the back of bottom part (those with keyboard, not those with screen)? if you have problems with drivers for 8MP ones 5MP ones from NIT would also fit (they have divers for maemo which is specific type of debian)

EDIT: so maybe just make it optional? and holes in case may be used ... dunno? laser pointer :D

The molds for the case parts are already made.
That means: No modifications to fit in a camera by E.D.

You have to mod the Pyra your selfe.

[Edit]
The only solution would be that you pay E.D. a new set of molds.
But that would cost 50K to 100K euro (depending on the design of the molds) and 6 to 12 month time
[/Edit]

Last edited:
Back